The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
New Morton manager Kenny Shiels has banned himself from giving matchday interviews after receiving medical advice.
The Northern Irishman's comments as Kilmarnock boss led to Scottish FA bans and to his exit from Rugby Park.
"I have spoken with the doctor and you get emotionally imbalanced," the 57-year-old told BBC Scotland.
"It's important I don't compromise my position as manager of Morton Football Club."
Shiels says he has no problem talking to journalists in his day-to-day work but would leave the matchday media duties to assistant David Hopkins.
"Journalism in promoting the game is so important and the Scottish journalists are brilliant at it," said the Morton manager, who announced his first four signings this week.
"Every decision I make must be in the best interests of Morton and I'm very susceptible to being controversialised and it's happened to me in the past. I'm not going to go down that road anymore.
"Therefore, in the best interests of the club, I think it's better that David Hopkins does that on match days.
"David is very articulate and can put our point after the game."
Shiels said his doctor advised him that there is a medical condition for his passionate outbursts.
"There's a name for it - you can't help it. If someone asks you a question, you're emotionally imbalanced at that time and you feel an urge to tell the truth.
"And, if you feel hard done-by, you want to tell the truth about something that happened in the game and you become a victim of that. There are people out there waiting for you to drop your guard.
"It's my nature that's the biggest problem and Neil Lennon has that problem too at Celtic He will tell you he is the same - when you are passionate about something and you put all your energies into it.
"I am probably not intelligent enough to deal with that because journalists can catch me.
"I don't think it's fair to condemn Scottish football. It's not their fault, it's my fault."
Morton have suffered three more defeats since appointing Shiels as Allan Moore's replacement.
They are nine points adrift of Cowdenbeath at the foot of the Championship table and the manager says his focus will be on avoiding relegation.
"I don't want me to be the centre of attention," added Shiels. "I want my players to be the centre of attention and my club, so I am taking a step back from that."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
A television channel delayed transmission of a Scottish Premiership football match until after the watershed because of the amount of swearing that could be heard from fans.
Ross County's match with St Mirren was supposed to have been broadcast "as live" by BBC Alba at 17:30 on Saturday.
But the transmission was delayed until 22:55.
It is understood the channel had been concerned the amount of bad language would have breached Ofcom guidelines.
A tweet by the managing director of mneTV, which was producing the broadcast for BBC Alba, said: "Unfortunately @TheStaggies v @saintmirrenfc won't transmit on #BBCALBA at 5.30pm due to bad language from crowd. Will be on at 11pm. Sorry!"
The message was retweeted by BBC Alba's official feed.
More than 3,000 fans attended the game at the Global Energy Stadium in Dingwall, which Ross County won 2-1.
Ross County manager Derek Adams and his St Mirren counterpart Danny Lennon had to be pulled apart after confronting each other on the touchline as tempers frayed during the match. They were both sent to the stand by referee Willie Collum.
BBC Alba, which is the BBC's Scottish Gaelic language channel, had been scheduled to broadcast the match in its entirety shortly after the final whistle.
But it decided to delay the transmission after realising that bad language could clearly be heard on its microphones, which were placed around the ground.
BBC Scotland sports reporter Jim Spence later tweeted: "Bad language delays transmission of BBC Alba Ross Co v St Mirren game tonight. that's ###@@@€€€€#### ridiculous".

• 3 weeks later...