EWB's Favorite Simpsons Episodes - Voting Thread!

Sousa

7. Homer vs. Patty & Selma

"I'll take the numbers off my house tonight."

"We'll look for the house with no numbers."

"I'll take the numbers off my Neighbours' houses."

"We'll look for the house next to the house with no numbers."

"DO'H!"

That episode has one of my favorite quotes:

"Remember, you can't spell 'obsequious' without "I-O-U."

"I'll have to take your word for that."

Fuck. This was hard, if there's one thing this has reminded me of it's just how fucking good The Simpsons is. So without any 'special mentions' or anything else (because damnit, I put a lot of consideration into what should go here, so I don't think going more than 10 would justify picking these particular episodes).

10. The Telltale Head

For me, this is the definitive 'classic' Simpsons episode, it was funny, clever and unique, simple as.

9. Homer's Barbershop Quartet

If you're going to parody anything in music, make it The Beatles ("Did you ever screw up and say you were bigger than Jesus?" "All the time, in fact it was the name of our second album."). This episode is one of few episodes I wanted a 'sequel' to, just so Homer answers those unanswered questions... but of course, that would ruin the joke.

8. The Way We Was

Pure Simpsons history right here. The sweet young girl and sweet young boy are destined to be together, and even a super genius (and his "busy hands") can't stand between them.

7. Eternal Moonshine of The Simpson Mind

I love the concept of going through memories, and whilst they could've got lazy and made it a basic clips show, they instead took the concept and made it a great journey with a fun twist. Some brilliant funny moments (Bart beating up Homers over various ages is a particular favourite) and some clever writing make this a beloved recent episode.

6. Stark Raving Dad

It's got Michael Jackson. Do I even need to explain this? The entire episode is just sweet as hell, and I would rather be sang "Lisa It's Your Birthday" than the regular birthday song any year of my life.

5. Simpson and Delilah

Who isn't a sucker for the 'loser comes good' story? Especially a loveable oaf like Homer. I absolutely adore Karl (the fact that he turned down a later appearance in "The Three Gays of Condo" is a constant source of disappointment) and the entire vibe he gives out hapless hero. Just a great all-round classic episode that I can't help but watch every time I see it's on.

4. That 90s Show

This will probably raise some eyebrows considering how new it is and considering people weren't keen on it rewriting Simpsons history... but those people are morons. The Simpsons history changes all the time and this was a great addition ("The 90s? Never heard of it!"). From the 'cover' of "Glycerine" by Bush, to Weird Al, to Homer's drug addiction ("It turns out Homer really did need those needles." "I had turned diabetic from drinking too many frappacinos."), I just love the episode, no doubt.

3. Lisa's Substitute

A personal choice for me. Around the same time as this episode aired I had a substitute teacher who I absolutely adored who left not long before I first saw it. At the time it made me sad, but after a while it made me realise that even when people leave our lives, we should be glad for everything they've given us, they have made us better people. It's a lesson I carry to this day and if I ever become a teacher I fully intend to start off by giving the kids suggestions on mocking names for myself, just like Mr Bergstrom.

2. You Only Move Twice

Considering my note earlier, I bet you thought this would be number one, huh? Well, there's a reason it's not quite number one and the only thing keeping it off the top is drama. Honestly this episode has me in stitches every time ("In fact, I didn't even give you my coat!") and manages to do it with original humour, parody, puns, commentary and everything inbetween. You honestly can't go too far in the episode without something quotable, even for The Simpsons.

1. Lisa's First Word

I could honestly watch this episode forever. Between the hilarity of seeing Bart swinging around the clothes line around and around and around and around and around and around and around and... you get the picture, to perhaps the sweetest line ever uttered on TV, this is arguably my favourite episode of anything ever. That sweetest line is just one word, the entire episode builds up to it and it makes me want to cry with joy every time I hear it - "Daddy."

1. You Only Move Twice

2. Homer's Barbershop Quartet

3. Homer at the Bat

4. Who Shot Mr. Burns? Pt. 1

5. Flaming Moe's

6. Cape Feare

7. El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer

8. Team Homer

9. The Simpsons 167th Episode Spectacular

10. Behind the Laughter

If you're soliciting write-ups, Sousa, I demand to write one.

Guest A Math Torpedo

With quote-y goodness!

1) Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part Two)

"The year is 1969, and you and I are undercover detectives on the hot rod circuit!"

2) 22 Short Films About Springfield

"Seymour, the house is on fire!" "No mother, it's just the Northern Lights."

3) Marge vs. the Monorail

"So mono means one, and rail means rail."

4) Homer the Great

"NOW LET'S ALL GET DRUNK AND PLAY PING PONG!"

5) Lisa the Iconoclast

"Who wants to come with me and start a city dedicated to chastity, abstinence, and a flavourless substance I call root marm?"

6) Homer At The Bat

"LORD PALMERSTON!"

7) Lisa the Simpson

"Possibly the best book ever written on the subject of turtle-stacking."

8) Blood Feud

"Read that last part back to me." "You stink!"

9) Bart Gets an Elephant

"Lisa, somebody who has lots of ivory is less likely to hurt an elephant than someone whose ivory supplies are low!"

10) Homie the Clown

"You people have stood in my way long enough! I'm going to clown college!"

9) Bart Gets an Elephant

"Lisa, somebody who has lots of ivory is less likely to hurt an elephant than someone whose ivory supplies are low!"

Love that episode too. "He wasn't part of the deal Blackhart, HE WASN'T PAAAAAAART!"

Damn, this was hard. Had to think of episodes that stood apart from the rest, then look for the name and season of said episodes, only to discover episodes I forgot about that were better than the ones I had originally chosen. Here is my 10 though:

1. "22 Short Films About Springfield" (Season 7)

2. "Bart the Murderer" (Season 3)

3. "Krusty Gets Kancelled" (Season 4)

4. "You Only Move Twice" (Season 8)

5. "Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk" (Season 3)

6. "Homer: Bad Man" (Season 6)

7. "A Streetcar Named Marge" (Season 4)

8. "Homer's Enemy" (Season 8)

9. "Mountain of Madness" (Season 8)

10. "Homer's Triple Bypass" (Season 4)

I will likely change them several times before the deadline.

1) Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part Two)

"The year is 1969, and you and I are undercover detectives on the hot rod circuit!"

LETS BURN RUBBER BAY-BEEE!

I love the line from Homer in The Way We Was: "But how can the only thing I've ever been sure of be wrong?". It's actually quite disheartening.

#10 - Two Bad Neighbors "Heeeeeeeeellooooooooooooooooo Miiiiiiiiiiiisterrrrrrrrrrrr Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuush!" and "Dig this blender, rainbow suspenders..."

#9 - Homer's Phobia - "Keep reaching for that rainbow!"

#8 - Krusty Gets Kancelled - Johnny Carson lifting a car over his head.

#7 - The Last Temptation of Homer - "Oh, Margy, oh you came and you found me a turkey. On my vacation away from worky."

#6 - 22 Short Films about Springfield - "Are you making fun of my automobile?"

#5 - Homerpalooza - "Making teenagers feel depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel."

#4 - Bart Gets An Elephant - I still randomly chant "Where's my elephant?!" Only like four people have gotten the reference.

#3 - You Only Move Twice - This is just so off the wall that's it's great. I can watch this episode over and over.

#2 - Lisa's First Word - Such a sweet episode.

#1 - Homer at the Bat - I'm a huge baseball fan, and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world seeing my favorite players on my favorite show. Mr. Burns giving Homer signs from third base and Homer's blank stare is hysterical.

This was impossible. And everytime I re-watch episodes, I'd alter this list. But this is how I'm feeling at this particular minute. Way too many great episodes.

1. Last Exit to Springfield (Season 4)

"Dental Plan!" "Lisa need braces!" "Dental Plan!" "Lisa need braces!" "Dental Plan!" "Lisa need braces!" "Dental Plan!" "Lisa need braces!" "Dental Plan!" "Lisa need braces!"

2. Homer's Barbershop Quartet (Season 5)

I love The Beatles and this is a great parody. Plus "Baby on Board" might be my favourite Simpsons song.

3. Mr. Plow (Season 4)

"You are fully bonded and licensed by the city, aren't you, Mr. Plow?" "Shut up boy!"

4. Cape Feare (Season 5)

*Steps on a rake* "Eeeughhrhh" *Steps on a rake* "Eeeughhrhh" *Steps on a rake* "Eeeughhrhh".

5. And Maggie Makes Three (Season 6)

"Do it for her"

6. You Only Move Twice (Season 8)

Beware of... Scorpio!

His twisted twin obsessions are his plot to rule the world

And his employee's health.

7. Mother Simpson (Season 7)

Contains one of my favourite sentimental moments in The Simpsons at the end where Homer is sat on the hood of his car looking at the stars.

8. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? (Season 2)

Danny DeVito was great as Herb, Homer's long lost half-brother. Also the episode ends on a nice little bonding moment between Bart and Homer.

9. Grade School Confidential (Season 8)

"I'm going to do what Bart should have told me to do a long time ago."

10. Homer Badman (Season 6)

"He's Rowdy Roddy Peeper!"

1. Cape Feare (5)

2. You Only Move Twice (8)

3. Homer The Great (6)

4. The Joy of Sect (9)

5. Sideshow Bob Roberts (6)

6. Lisa on Ice (6)

7. Homer at the Bat (3)

8. City of New York vs. Homer Simpson (9)

9. The PTA Disbands (6)

10. Homer vs. The 18th Amendment (8)

This was insanely hard. I had a list of nearly 30 episodes, cut to about 18, then 15, then 13. Some real good ones were left off, but I imagine they'll all appear in the Top 50 (Last Exit, Deep Space, Springfield Files, Homerpalooza)

10. Jaws Wired Shut -- Ed O'Neill as Soccer Mummy

09. Radio Bart -- "Hey, good-looking, we'll be back to pick you up later,"

08. Homer's Phobia -- "He enjoys the company of men!" "Who doesn't?"

07. Worst. Episode. Ever. -- Featuring two Pittsburgh legends: Tom Savini and Mr. Rogers.

06. Homer At The Bat -- Shave those sideburns.

05. Radioactive Man -- "The goggles do nothing!"

04. Homie The Clown -- "Stop! Stop, he's already dead."

03. 22 Short Films About Springfield -- "May I see it?" "Erh, um...no."

02. Marge Vs. The Monorail -- "I call the big one Bitey."

01. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show -- "Please refrain from tasting the knob."

This . . . this was insanely hard to do. My first list probably consisted of 40+ episodes. I finally trimmed that down to 24. Getting 10 from that? Ridiculous. Ordering those 10? Ohhhh, fuck you.

10. Coming to Homerica (Season 20)

- People seem to moan these days that The Simpsons stopped being a great series after the 90's. While I think the show peaked around then, there's still a ton of great episodes that have come around since, and I think most people just aren't paying attention. One such great episode is this one here - a hilarious satire of the current immigration debate in America - and it's just from last season.

9. Homer at the Bat (Season 3)

- This is the earliest episode on my list, and it seems to mark the beginning of when the series truly hit its stride. "No hustle either, Skip!"

8. Trilogy of Error (Season 12)

- I don't see this episode referenced very much, but I feel it represents one of the most fun breaks in form the series has done (the story structure was modeled after the films Go and Run, Lola, Run.) Plus, it's just plain funny. "You could be one of them TV magic queers!"

7. 22 Short Films About Springfield (Season 7)

- This one's getting a ton of mentions, and deservedly so. The run of dialogue between Skinner and Chalmers is just astoundingly funny.

6. Cape Feare (Season 5)

- This is the very best of the Sideshow Bob episodes, and that's saying a lot. "He remaaaaaaaaains and Eng-LISH-maaaaaaan!"

5. Homer vs. The Eighteenth Amendment (Season 8)

- One of John Swartzwelder's finest, and that puts it above at least FIFTY other great episodes, as Swartwelder is the series' most prolific (and perhaps funniest) writer. Plus, Dave Thomas in a great turn as Rex Banner. "Uhhh . . . the best damn pet shop in town!"

4. Homer's Enemy (Season 8)

- This episode probably best exemplifies the series' ability to poke fun at itself and even make you question the most basic premises. "Frank Grimes - or Grimey, as he liked to be called . . . ."

3. You Only Move Twice (Season 8)

- Swartzwelder wrote it. Albert Brooks (perhaps the best guest star the series has ever had) is in it as one of the most iconic secondary characters ever. The writers tried to shake-up the basic premise of the show. And it's damn funny. I won't quote the whole thing, but the run of hammock jokes may be the funniest bit of improvised dialogue ever.

2. Mother Simpson (Season 7)

- The Simpsons is at its best when it has you emotionally invested, yet laughing out loud. This is arguably the episode that evokes the most intense emotional reaction while keeping you laughing all the way (Maggie Makes Three, Lisa's Substitute, and my number one choice would be the other major contenders for this throne, in my view.) Plus, it has Glenn Close in a great guest-starring role. Plus plus, the series that is perhaps best known for a new joke every few seconds spends its final moments just reflecting quietly on what has happened.

1. HOMR (Season 12)

- I'm sure basically everyone will disagree with me putting this at number one, but it's my personal favorite. Why? First off, the Homer/Lisa stories almost always get to me emotionally. This one is more focused on Homer himself, but his relationship with Lisa is brought sharply into focus here. In addition, twelve seasons on, the show is still playing with its basic premise and asks "Why is Homer so dumb?" On that note, the show takes the opportunity to examine what it's like to be intelligent in a society of the ignorant. Plus, it's just ridiculously funny. "Notice I no longer say 'libary' or 'tomorry." On top of all of that, Homer's "I'm taking the coward's way out" note to Lisa kills me every time. It's touching to see him communicate his admiration for Lisa, yet heartbreaking to see the finality in his decision.

Honorable Mentions (Because I just can't not mention them, and in no particular order):

The Color Yellow (Season 20) (Another great one from just last season.)

Missionary: Impossible (Season 11) "SAVE ME JEEBUS!"

Homie the Clown (Season 6) " . . . and all the other piddlin' crap that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot clown-pole."

Lemon of Troy (Season 6) (Seeing Shelbyville equivalents of Springfieldians is surreal.)

El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (Season 8) (A touching Homer and Marge story, a literally surreal story, and JOHNNY CASH AS SPACE COYOTE.)

Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire (Season 1) (The first episode to air really set a great tone for the whole series.)

Lisa's Substitute (Season 2) (It seems cliche now, but "You are Lisa Simpson" is just brilliant.)

And Maggie Makes Three (Season 6) ("Do it for her." *cue tears*)

Homer the Heretic (Season 4) ("We interrupt this public affairs program to bring you a football game.")

The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show (Season 8) ("Poochie died on the way back to his home planet.")

The Cartridge Family (Season 9) (Another Swartzwelder classic, rife with satire.)

Simpsons Bible Stories (Season 10) (A sequel to David & Goliath as done by Jerry Bruckheimer. "I thought you were dead!" "Nope.")

The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase (Season 8) ("Damn straight, Troy, my man.")

Homer The Great (Season 6) (Stonecutters. 'Nuff said.)

I Love Lisa (4) ("We are the mediocre presidents!")

By the way, can you tell I love Season 8? I never truly noticed myself until I made this list.

And Sousa, if you're soliciting write-ups, I'd like to give it a shot.