EWB's Favorite Simpsons Episodes - Voting Thread!

Sousa

I don't think we could do this for a lot of shows, but fuck it, it's The Simpsons, yo!

the-simpsons-tracey-ullman-show.jpg

Look at 'em! You love The Simpsons! And if you don't, go away. <_<

So I'll probably go with between 25-40 when this wraps up, depending on what the spread is. There's a rich history to draw from--tons of episodes--so the votes might be spread out a lot. Even so, I'm curious to see how it winds up.

Vote for your top ten. Identify them by episode title. If you don't know what the title is, there is a Google for you--or you can ask. I or someone else in the thread might help.

Despite the picture, no voting for the Tracey Ullman stuff, even though I doubt most of you have seen it. And no voting for the movie, either. That's a movie, not an episode.

Here we go! I'll start with mine and you can post yours.

1. And Maggie Makes Three (Season 6)

I dunno. Maybe it's because I'm a daddy now. But this one combines hilarious gags ("Hey Homer! Way to get Marge pregnant!") with a funny and really touching story. Damn it, I tear up at the end. Do It For Her, indeed.

2. Lisa's Substitute (Season 2)

I like how this episode tells a simple, straightforward story with a big-name star and focuses on Lisa without all of the baggage any of these things usually represent for the show.

3. Mr. Plow (Season 4)

You get a hilarious and silly story loaded with Homer and Barney being goofballs, along with Adam West being fucking weird. Just about perfect.

4. Homer the Great (Season 6)

One of my favorite pure comedy episodes. Homer leading the Stonecutters to glory is spectacular, and the end gag that ties it all together is one of my favorites.

5. Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish" (Season 7)

A Grandpa-centric episode! Loads of fun, way over the top, and lots of Burns supervillainy.

6. Last Exit to Springfield (Season 4)

The one I suspect is going to win. <_< DENTAL PLAN!

7. The Cartridge Family (Season 9)

The one I'd argue is the most quotable episode in the whole series. "I felt this incredible surge of power, like God must feel when he's holding a gun!"

8. You Only Move Twice (Season 8)

GoGo reminded me of this one, and it can't not be here. Hank Scorpio, yessssss.

9. Simpson and Delilah (Season 2)

This one seems to have been lost to history, but I fucking love it. Homer gets hair and Harvey Fierstein makes him a star.

10. Homer at the Bat (Season 3)

An episode this packed with famous people would be a bust now, but it works here primarily because the major gag isn't "Hey look, it's so-and-so!" The players all having accidents the day before the big game is hilarious, and the song is CLASSIC.

There's my list. It'd probably look different depending on when you asked me, but yeah, those are my ten. Let's hear yours!

• Like 1

The Last Temptation of Homer (Season 5)

Absolutely classic episode.

From the suggestive and annoying hotel worker who hilariously gets knocked out at the end, to some of the most funny and random scenes ever.

I mean Homer gets a guardian angel who takes the form of Colonel Klink, what's not to love?

1) Treehouse of Horror IV (Season 5) - The Devil and Homer Simpson, Bart Simpson's Dracula and Terror at 5½ Feet (AKA the one with the gremlin)

2) Brother from Another Series (Season 8) - Sideshow Motherfucking Cecil

3) The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show (Season 8) - I have to go now. My planet needs me.

4) Three Minutes over Tokyo (Season 10) - Steel chairs in sumo wrestling

5) Itchy & Scratchy Land (Season 6) - Bort.

6) You Only Move Twice (Season 8) - You always say that. I want to take a chance!

7) Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish" (Season 7) - "Nurse! Someone's trying to kill me!" "Okay, we'll do something about that right away. Let's start by doubling your medication."

8) Marge vs. the Monorail (Season 4) - Monoraaaail! Monoraaaail! Monoraaaail! Mono-D'oh!

9) E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt) (Season 11) - TOMAAAACOOO

10) Lisa the Vegetarian (Season 7) - It's just a little air-born! It's still good, it's still good!

Honorable Mentions:

• Mr. Plow (Season 4)
  • Deep Space Homer (Season 5)
  • Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington (Season 3)
  • Homer the Smithers (Season 7)
  • Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment (Season 8)
  • The Springfield Files (Season 8)
  • King-Size Homer (Season 7)
  • Homer Goes to College (Season 5)
  • Homie The Clown (Season 6)
  • Radioactive Man (Season 7)
  • Kamp Krusty (Season 4)
  • Lady Bouvier's Lover (Season 5)

1. Thirty Minuites Over Tokyo ("Knife goes in, guts come out, that's what Matsuyama Fish Concern is all about...")

2. You Only Move Twice

3. Bart The General

4. Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"

5. Last Exit To Springfield

6. Hungry Hungry Homer

7. Homer At The Bat

8. Mr Plow

9. Behind The Laughter ("Coming up next: Was the dream really over? Yes, it was. Or... was it?")

10. Homer To The Max ("BUT YOU MUSN'T TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUCH!")

Honorable mention which I REALLY wanted to put here but couldn't: In Marge We Trust. ("I AM DISRESPECTFUL TO DIRT! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT I AM SERIOUS?")

Additional Honorable Mention: Every other episode. Because really, even the newer ones are still better than most of the crap on TV now.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

1. 22 Short Films about Springfield

Pulp Fiction-style.

2. The Curse of the Flying Hellfish

Abe and Bart set out to find the lost treasure that the elite Commando unit "Flying Hell Fish" were sworn to secrecy about...

3. Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment

Homer vs. Rex Banner. It's on.

4. Bart The Murderer

Bart takes a job working for the "Legitimate Businessman's Social Club"

5. Lisa's Substitute

Lisa's new substitute teacher changes the face of learning.

6. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Homer designs an awful car for his rich brother's (Danny DeVito) company.

7. Last Exit to Springfield

Just for "DENTAL PLAN!"

8. Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk

Burns sells the plant to the Germans and in-turn loses the respect of the common man.

9. Homer's Phobia

Homer suspects Bart may be gay.

10. Homer the Great

The Stonecutters!

1. Marge vs. The Monorail

2. You Only Move Twice

3. Lemon of Troy

4. Cape Feare

5. Homer vs. The Eighteenth Amendment

6. Krusty Gets Kancelled

7. Girly Edition

8. Homer Goes to College

9. Dancin' Homer

10. Brother From Another Series

1. Treehouse of Horror V (Season 6)

The Simpsons take on The Shining has always been my all time favourite Simpsons episode even before I had seen The Shining. Now that I've seen it (and love it), it's even better. For gods sake, "No Beer and no TV make Homer... something, something..."

2. Bart of Darkness (Season 6)

Ned and Bart always have pretty good interactions, but this was just a great episode all around. I love what the reason behind the screams and so on turn out to be.

3. Last Exit to Springfield (Season 4)

Oh come on. DENTAL PLAN. LISA NEEDS BRACES. DENTAL PLAN. LISA NEEDS BRACES.

4. Homer and Apu (Season 5)

Who needs the Kwiki-Mart... Who needs the Kwiki-Mart... I doooooooooooooo. :(

5. You Only Move Twice (Season 8)

"You know what you guys need... Hammocks!"

6. Lisa's Wedding (Season 6)

It was just nice to get a glimpse at the 'future' of The Simpsons, in a show where no one ever ages.

7. Treehouse of Horror XII (Season 13)

Pierce Brosnan as a HAL style Super Computer and Homer + Leprechaun is more than enough to get a place on my list.

8. Bart The General (Season 1)

This actually came out a few months before I was born, so when I eventually first saw it I was quite young. The whole premise of the episode is just wonderful for a kid, taking the fight to a bully in a over-exaggerated military style attack.

9. Treehouse of Horror IV (Season 5)

Homer sells his soul to The Devil. AKA. Ned Flanders.

10. Stark Raving Dad (Season 3)

I don't know why I like this one so much. I don't like Michael Jackson at all, I've just always enjoyed this episode and the part where Bart writes a song for Lisa's Birthday has always kind of stuck with me.

Pretty much everything after the first episode isn't in order, I just can't be bothered to do it.

1. Homer's Enemy - The one with Frank Grimes

2. You Only Move Twice - The one with Hank Scorpio

3. 22 Short Stories About Springfield - "There's an Aurora Borealis, at this time of year, in this part of the country, localised entirely within your kitchen?" - "Yes."

4. A Milhouse Divided - Milhouse's parents divorce aka. "CAN I BORROW A FEELIN', CAN I LEND A JAR OF LOVE?"

5. Radioactive Man - "WATCH OUT, RADIOACTIVE MAN!"

6. City of New York vs. Homer Simpson - Homer's car is lost in NYC

7. Bart vs. Australia - "I'da called 'em Chuzzwozza's!"

8. The PTA! Disbands - The PTA Disbands

9. Homerpalooza - "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins." - "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

10. The Boy Who Knew Too Much - "CHOWDERRRRRRR?! IT'S CHOWDAH!"

Edited by TheModernWay

1. Old Money - "Dignity's on me."

2. Deep Space Homer - "Oh, they were just about to show a close-up of the rod!"

3. Bart the Genius - "Mom, I think Bart's stupid again."

4. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire - "But he's a loser. He's pathetic, he's... a Simpson."

5. Separate Vocations - "A forgery. So he didn't have leprosy."

6. Homer the Heretic - "What if we picked the wrong religion? We're just making God madder and madder every week."

7. Stark Raving Dad - "Marge, I can't wear a pink shirt to work. Everyone wears white shirts. I'm not popular enough to be different."

8. Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssssssss Song - "You gotta pet him so he can feel it."

9. Treehouse of Horror IV - "I'm smarter than the devil! I'm smarter than the dev-"

10. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? - "She did things your mother would never do... like have sex for money."

1. Homer's Enemy

"Or Grimey, as he liked to be called"

This is the definitive episode of the Simpsons for me. It takes very dark undertones, makes the antagonist someone we should root for and makes us question why we even like Homer to begin with. All the while creating a comedic masterpiece. I honeslty have no idea why this has made nobodies list yet, yet Treehouse of Horrors have

2. You Only Move Twice

3. Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment

4. Homer the Great

5. Lisa on Ice

6. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou

7. Lemon of Troy

8. Homer and Apu

9. Behind the Laughter

10. Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish

Edited by The Cool One

1. Mountain of Madness (Season 8)

2. You Only Move Twice (Season 8)

3. Bart vs. Australia (Season 6)

4. Marge vs. the Monorail (Season 4)

5. A Milhouse Divided (Season 8)

6. Homer the Great (Season 6)

7. Hurricane Neddy (Season 8)

8. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show (Season 8)

9. Lisa On Ice (Season 6)

10. Homer Badman (Season 6)

1. Marge vs. The Monorail

"There's a man here to help you."

"Batman?"

"No, he's a scientist."

"Batman's a scientist?"

"IT'S NOT BATMAN!"

2. Lisa's First Word

What Benji said.

3. Last Exit to Springfield

"Dental Plan!"

"Lisa needs Braces!"

4. Cape Feare

Sideshow Bob vs. Rakes. The epic feud. I have never laughed at anything else as much, ever.

5. Homer the Great

"You'd better run EGG!"

6. Fear of Flying

"Yes, yes, it's all a rich tapestry."

7. Homer the Heretic

8. Homer vs. Patty & Selma

"I'll take the numbers off my house tonight."

"We'll look for the house with no numbers."

"I'll take the numbers off my Neighbours' houses."

"We'll look for the house next to the house with no numbers."

"DO'H!"

9. Rosebud

"It's a symbol of your lost youth and innocence!"

10. Brother from Another Series

As sharp as an episode of Frasier.

"You wanted to be Krusty's sidekick since you were five! What about the buffoon lessons, the five years at clown college?"

"I'll thank you not to refer to Princeton that way."

Edited, thanks to Benji.

I could do a top twenty easily (You Only Move Twice, Homer's Barbershop Quartet, Homer vs. The Eighteenth Ammendment, Nart Gets an Elephant and Homie the Clown are all unfortunate to miss out), and still be leaving favourite episodes out. Haven't watched any in years, I'm gonna HAVE to dig my DVD's out.