EWB's Favourite Stand-Up Comedian Voting Thread.

badotori

Lists here need more Demetri Martin. How can you not like a guy who can play three instruments at the same time while telling awesome jokes that range from simple observation to clever wordplay to downright surrealism?

Also more Craig Ferguson, because while he's mostly known as a late night talk show host he also does standup, and is pretty good with it.

Damn, Demetri Martin was gonna feature on my list, now people will think I'm just copying you! Oh well, here's mine:

1. Ross Noble

2. Billy Connelly

3. Dylan Moran

4. Jerry Sadowitz

5. Eddie Izzard

6. Bill Bailey

7. Jimmy Carr

8. Sean Lock

9. Dara O'Briain

10. Demetri Martin

Ruin?! You've reminded me of Dave Chappelle's existence, you have ruined nothing, sir.

Plus, this thread was ruined the minute someone voted for Russell Brand; we're all just sifting through the wreckage at this point. :shifty:

I am legitimately surprised there's not more Dave Chappelle love here. Killin' Them Softly is incredible.

1. Jim Gaffigan

2. Daniel Tosh

3. The Sklar Brothers

4. Chris Rock

5. Aziz Ansari

6. Lewis Black

7. Louis CK

8. Demetri Martin

9. Dave Chappelle

10. Nick Swardson

Tough because I guess I've never really rated them before.

It's gonna be a bitch finding 10 of my favorites cause I have so many but here goes; the top 4 are fixed but the bottom six are in no particular order:

1. Richard Pryor

2. George Carlin

3. Chris Rock

4. Dave Chappelle

5. Jim Norton/Patrice O'Neal (Literally cannot pick one over the other)

6. Nick Swardson

7. Bill Burr

8. Louis CK

9. Dov Davidoff

10. Bill Maher

Honorable Mention: Lewis Black, Aziz Ansari, Daniel Tosh, Robert Kelly, Rich Vos, Jim Breuer, Jim Jefferies, Mitch Hedberg, Ron White and Colin Quinn. I watch a lot of half hour/one hour comedy specials/comedy related programs - that's why I have such a hard time figuring out which to put up.

Fuck, a lot of you guys suck at this list shit. Just a quick skim, and Eddie Murphy is getting shit for votes, and, perhaps fittingly, Rodney can't get no respect.

1. George Carlin

2. Richard Pryor

3. Eddie Murphy

4. Rodney Dangerfield

5. Robin Williams

6. Bob Saget

7. Martin Lawrence

8. Chris Rock

9. Katt Williams

10. Dane Cook (and fuck you, he's funny)

I was very impressed with all of you until I got to DMN. For shame.. Anyway, here ya go:

1. George Carlin

2. Mitch Hedberg

3. Eddie Murphy

4. Richard Pryor

5. Dimitri Martin

6. Louis CK

7. Dave Chapelle

8. Jim Gaffigan

9. Daniel Tosh

10. Brian Regan

Also, if comic troupes count, throw in UCB.

EDIT: replaced #10

Edited by stevesdashonirc

1. Robin Williams

2. Gabriel Iglesias

3. Eddie Murphy

4. Bill Engvall

5. Chris Rock

6. Jeff Foxworthy

7. Dave Chapelle

8. Ron White

9. George Carlin

10. Dane Cook

• Like 1

Thanks for all the votes so far guys. I got a list of 80 names so far and, in the same vein as YI's Women Thread, I'll probably include them all in the list. Or I'll be a lazy git and just do a Top 50, whichever.

Just a couple of things:

- Fitzy - At the moment, I haven't added your votes because you've only given me two names. If you don't include more, I'm just going to count them as your 9th and 10th favourite.

- Fait Accompli - Is there any way you can rate Jim Norton or Patrice O'Neal higher than the other? Just makes it easier for me.

- All the votes that have been cast so far have been tallied up. But, instead of making up a list with who voted for who, I've got a spreadsheet showing that three people put Chris Rock as their 10th favourite etc. So, if you edit your lists, if you could say, in the same post, who used to be in a position and who you replaced him with, that'd be triffic.

- Fait Accompli - Is there any way you can rate Jim Norton or Patrice O'Neal higher than the other? Just makes it easier for me.

Sure thing. I'll go with Norton over Patrice. If I answered this tomorrow, the answer would've been different lol.

Edited by Fait Accompli

1. Louis CK

2. Patton Oswalt

3. Bill Hicks

4. George Carlin

5. Dave Chapelle

6. Dave Attell

7. David Cross

8. Joe Rogan

9. Zach Galifinakas

10. Chris Rock

Louis CK, is by far and wide the best stand up comedian working today. He, in the last 5-10 years, has approached life with blisteringly honest observations that step completely outside of his ego in a way that makes his best work border on philosophical.

1. George Carlin

2. Sam Kinison

3. Richard Pryor

4. Red Foxx

5. Eddie Murphy

6. Dave Chapelle

7. Chris Rock

8. Rodney Dangerfield

9. Robin Williams

10. Andrew "Dice" Clay

I honestly can't think of anybody after this. I don't follow much in the way of stand up comedy, but really wanted to atleast vote for these guys. Honestly, I wanted to get some support for Redd Foxx out there, because honestly, why the fuck isn't anybody voting for him? Part of me wants to vote for Henry Rollins, but he really isn't a stand up comedian, but a spoken word artist who happens to be funny. He also happens to be the only guy I'd actually pay to see money and watch him talk, which I have, thanks to my wife's obsession with him. Plus, I've met him.

I know a lot of people think Sam Kinison is just that guy WHO SCREAMS. But, I happen to think he's very fucking funny, and has a funny outlook on basically everything. The screaming is only part of the charm. I also can't believe I had to round out this list with Andrew Dice Clay, but I am incredibly out of touch with stand up comedians. I'd say that my top four are guys I could honestly sit back and listen to full albums of, where as 5-10 are guys that have made me laugh when I have seen their shows.

1. Ross Noble

2. Eddie Izzard

3. Stewart Lee

4. Frankie Boyle

5. Dylan Moran

6. Daniel Kitson

7. Tom Stade

8. Steve Coogan

9. Chris Addison

10. Sarah Millican (for basically being the only woman who's actually funny)