2018/2022 World Cup venues

sahyder1

The games will still be sold out

Assuming they haven't stoned all the women for looking the wrong way at a traffic light, and executed all the men that choose to kiss their partners in public, right?

FIFA. Rewarding the backwards (Y)

And the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are just? The human rights abuses in China and North Korea are just?

There is injustice in the world. It's not the first time we have seen this and it won't be the last.

As I said, if it can foster positive change, it's worth a shot. It won't solve problems overnight (or at all, if we're realistic). But a lot can happen in 12 years. Let's not judge them just yet.

The games will still be sold out

Assuming they haven't stoned all the women for looking the wrong way at a traffic light, and executed all the men that choose to kiss their partners in public, right?

FIFA. Rewarding the backwards (Y)

Yeah cause the West has been a great beacon for gay rights. I must have missed the part where England, US, etc started to treat Gay people as equal human beings. Every country has their demons, involving them in a sports event is just flat out stupid.

If it is about morality England should NEVER host anything because of what their Empires have done around the world over the course of history.

That is the most ridiculous thing (out of the many ridiculous things) posted here today. Concerns over Qatar's morality and human rights are current and ongoing, whereas the British Empire clearly...isn't.

We can go current and bring up England being involved in Afghanistan and Iraq wars where hundreds of thousands of innocent people have been killed. Trying to mix sports and politics is pretty stupid. The west has more then enough demons in its closet for it to point out the faults of others.

One thing that is noticeable is the typical English arrogance. You were SO SURE you were going to win it. You KNEW you were going to win it. And why wouldn't you? The other countries were UTTER HOPELESS. They wouldn't be able to BUILD their STADIUMS. [/the Sun]

And then of course, they didn't.

On one hand it's a bit of a downer not getting the opportunity to see a World Cup game, but on the other hand, it's quite funny seeing you all scrabbling for excuses and a scapegoat.

You lost. (Maybe not) fair and square. But you lost. I'm not convinced England were totally averse to playing it dirty either.

• Like 2

Where was the arrogance people are talking about? Shit, we wanted to talk up our bid, what a surprise.

I didn't expect us to win it, but it is stupid to not think we had a chance. We were 1 of 4, of course we had a bloody chance.

Edited by Liam

One thing that is noticeable is the typical English arrogance. You were SO SURE you were going to win it. You KNEW you were going to win it. And why wouldn't you? The other countries were UTTER HOPELESS. They wouldn't be able to BUILD their STADIUMS. [/the Sun]

Let's not be stupid and pretend the media reflects the general opinion of the public, though. I know it's a favourite game of a certain neighbour of ours, but everyone knows the media - especially the gutter press like the Sun and the Mirror, are so ridiculously over the top they're not even worth paying attention to. These were the same papers that just a few weeks ago were moaning about how much it would cost, and that we probably wouldn't get it anyway.

To be fair, most people I've spoken to didn't think we'd win anyway, and most people on here aren't bothered about Russia getting it, they've been favourites for ever. You don't gain any kind of credibility by quoting The Sun.

The issue is 2022 going to an Emirate with a population smaller than London, no football heritage or calibre whatosever (even SA have had the likes of Quinton Fortune and Stephen Pienaar playing decent football for years), dubious laws (not 'gays are frowned upon', open hatred of homosexuals and holding hands in public), equatorial heat in the middle of summer and another Middle Eastern country that Americans can't pronounce (whilst I assume thinking, lol soccer). I'm presuming their bid presentation was just a clip of Scrooge McDucks massive safe.

Edited by Colly
  • Like 2

Oh really, maybe my mocking of the World Cup and other such English failures were driven a bit by typical Scottish pettiness, but in the case of the World Cup I genuinely wanted England to win the bid. Why wouldn't I?

But even so, the arrogance was noticeable. Not only in the media, but also on EWB - there are countless posts in which it is pointed out that the only way England could lose is because Blatter hated them. England's bid was just lightyears better than any other.

Now Russia have won. I, personally am not bitter nor particularly surprised at this. I don't see any reason why Russia don't "deserve" to host a World Cup, nor any reason why they couldn't.

Qatar, on the other hand, is a bit scandalous.

• Like 1

• Admin

Further vote breakdown:

Ned/Bel 4, Spain/Por 7, Russia 9. Second rd: Ned/Bel 2 votes, Spain/Por 7, Russia 13 votes.

Qatar only one short of winning it in first round. Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes 2nd round

Also, make of this what you will...

Before today's World Cup vote, Sepp Blatter reminded FIFA executive comm members about "certain media" and "recent media coverage."

Sepp Blatter thinks we are the 'motherland of football' but tells the FIFA delegates to beware our media in a pre-vote briefing.

• Admin
2018 FIFA World Cup™

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes (as no absolute majority was reached, the candidate with least amount of votes, England, was eliminated)

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtained an absolute majority)

2022 FIFA World Cup™

Round 1: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes (Australia eliminated)

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes (Japan eliminated)

Round 3: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Round 4: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes (Qatar obtained an absolute majority)

Looks like Iberia lost out too. There is talk of either us or America being 'hot-shotted' to 2014 should Brazil not be ready in time. Doubt that will happen though.