DC Universe Online

rocksta

Man I don't know. As far as instability goes I haven't ran into any problems so that is either a PS3 thing or a beta thing.

My only real knock is the non intuitive chat system. Beyond that I'm enjoying it greatly. Could never get into WoW or anything but this is great. Action game combat, Crackdown like sense of feeling like a boss. Haven't gotten tired of questing. Good PvP and they make great use of the source material. I am enjoying it greatly. Someone should get it an join me.

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell me that the quests get a bit more imaginative than "kill x amount of things to collect x amount of y, then return y to the person you got the quest from" ? I'm all for a bit of a grind, but Christ. It doesn't help that I'm finding it essentially impossible to do things on my own now I've hit level 12, I manage to kill say a quarter of x before getting knocked out because it spawns the dudes you just killed immediately. Behind you. And they immediately start attacking you.

My boss picked up a copy of this game to rent out at the video store, but I'm under the impression that you need to be online AND have a subscription to the service to play the game. Is this the case? If it is, then we can't really rent it out, can we? I'd probably end up buying it from her or something so that she's not out any money because of it, so it's not a big deal really... but if it can't be rented out, I'd just like to be able to tell her for sure, so that we don't have angry customers on our hands or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

So I traded some games to my boss for this and I've played it a little. Not too bad. I'm not big into the MMORPG games, so I can't grade it on that at all, but I'm having a pretty good time.

It's just too bad that they couldn't release a non-online version of the game, as it seems very similar to Marvel's Ultimate Alliance games. So far, I haven't had any issues playing online, and I'm having a pretty good time, but it does seem like I'm just being told to do the same type of things over again. It doesn't really feel like I'm a superhero... more like an errand boy.

Surprisingly I ended up buying the game with that 29.99 for 3 months deal they have going on. Ended up trying it out on my friends laptop last week and enjoyed what I had played.

The creation options in the game are miles better than that of City of Heroes and Champions. There are a good amount of options, but there arent too much where it feels like a chore to create someone. The graphics for the people you create are also a hell of a lot better. Champions was way too cartoony. In DC they actually look like the other characters in the game.

Right now I am at level 10 for my main hero. Even though the missions all seem pretty samey, I think the fact that the power trees and the way you can battle being more than just "okay just press X over and over again" makes it a lot better than what it could have been. The combos you can get for the weapons, the way some power animations actually tie into which weapon you choose, and some of the powers make it more interesting.

I think the stuff like raids and duos and whatnot will also allow for more playability, and also turning PVP on once I reach level 30. The fact that there are actualy comic book heroes and villains in the game helps too, since it feels a lot better playing alongside Superman and fighting against Poison Ivy than having to fight against villains that were made up just for a game like in Champions.

Anyone who plays this on the PC who also plays on the New Frontier or Darkness Falls server?

Edited by Vitamin E

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So, installing this on my PS3 right now. Saw a couple videos pop up on my suggested videos and was reminded of it and since it's free now I figured I'd try it. Disappointed that Green Lantern powers are DLC. Will probably make a Green Arrow/Batman inspired hero instead.

Coming up with a hero name that's not used is hard.

My hero is paramilitary type guy with dark green and black gear, uses Duel pistols and gadgets and he wears a skull-ish looking mask with glowing green eyes. Any ideas? Was trying to work the word "Emerald" in somewhere.

Watchtower is a clusterfuck. Took me 20 or so minutes after talking to Swamp Thing to find the way to get back to Gotham.

This was pretty fun but I never had the chance to play with any of you guys so that may have alleviated the inevitable boredom that came from doing the same structure of quest twenty times over. And it's far too fucking massive to download again so boo to that.