2011 NFL Offseason Thread

sahyder1

My friend and I were half-joking about what's going to happen to the world if the NFL and NBA are both in a lockout at the same time.

There will be a steady increase in the number of bastard children, incidents at night clubs and DWI's. Do they drug test during lockouts? If not, the marijuana industry will see a huge spike in profits as well :shifty:

My friend and I were half-joking about what's going to happen to the world if the NFL and NBA are both in a lockout at the same time.

There will be a steady increase in the number of bastard children, incidents at night clubs and DWI's. Do they drug test during lockouts? If not, the marijuana industry will see a huge spike in profits as well :shifty:

They don't let guys who've had surgery work out at team facilities, I highly doubt they do drug testing since that would be part of a CBA.

As far as a team in LA, yes, there are places they could put a stadium. City of Industry, for one. They'll never tear down the Coliseum (nor should they, it's a historical landmark), and I have no idea why the Forum is still there, nor the Sports Arena. Both could probably be gone.

That said, any team not named the Raiders will fail. Los Angeles is still a Raiders town. The Rams are the only other team that would have a chance. The NFL/NBC has tried to shove the Chargers down LA's throat, and it HAS NOT WORKED. The only people I know who like the Chargers are the same OC fans that cheer for the Angels and Ducks instead of the Dodgers and Kings. I see more Raiders gear than anything, but a LARGE margin.

I don't want the Raiders back, however, and I wouldn't support any other team, no matter who they are or how good they were.

The only things I'll say about the 'debate' is that it's very clear WHO played the sport (and I played a year at one of the top JCs in the nation, so suck it, sahyder), and I've never got the feeling that Al Davis cared more about money than about winning.

The Raiders need a lot. I'm torn between wanting Nnamdi back, and using his RIDICULOUS contract to upgrade the rest of the defense. I'd feel better about it if we still had a first round draft pick.

They don't let guys who've had surgery work out at team facilities, I highly doubt they do drug testing since that would be part of a CBA.

I heard an agent talking on a local radio station saying that it doesn't sound definitive whether there will be drug testing or not, but it will be hard to get an arbitrator to make the players take the drug tests.

Time to start selling, I've got 2 teams whose players live in this area. And one of those teams is the Redskins.

SHOW ME THE MONNNNEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY

The main problem I see with an 18 game season is that, if a team starts out 13 or 14-0, they could essentially rest their starters for up to 4 weeks, depending on the division/conference. I like the approach Mike Florio from ProFootballTalk put forward...17 game season, each team gets 8 home and away games, and 1 neutral site game. With the NFL widening it's scope to Toronto, LA, Mexico, England, (Plus the ability to play in some legendary college stadiums - the golden dome comes to mind immediately) it could work, and would, in most years, prevent a .500 team from getting in the playoffs, cause there would be no .500 teams (this year, the Seahawks getting in was a fluke. A sub-.500 team will probably never get in again under a 16 or 17 game season.

Edit: And no, they don't test during a lockout. With no CBA, the players don't fall under league policy.

Edited by PatDaMan

The Bills need quite a bit on offense.

First and foremost they need a true #1 WR. Evans is past it as a #1 guy and Johnson isn't a #1 guy. Fitzpatrick is good enough if he's got a true top WR. Jackson and Spiller are fine enough in the backfield, especially as they involve Spiller more. The defense is actually not bad. The DT could get younger but other than that I think the D would benefit more from help from the offense honestly.

The o-line was sawed in half and I'm not sure that just getting healthy is enough.

Sigh ... we're getting caught in the continuous rebuild.

Outside of running back the Bills need help at every position on offense. They basically played a team of backups and third stringers this year, with predictable results. The interior offensive line isn't horrible, but they desperately need help at tackle. That'd be my top priority for the offseason, get a true starter at offensive tackle. They've been trying to fill that spot with backups from free agency or fucking undrafted rookies and it's just been a train wreck.

On defense they need help at defensive end pretty bad. Opposing teams could just run off tackle all day long and the Bills couldn't do a thing about it. The Bills are so small on the front seven they just get pushed around and pretty much can't stop the run without blitzing. Maybe Merriman will help if he ever gets healthy, but I have my doubts of that.

The secondary is in fairly good shape, but then since the Bills couldn't stop the run other teams didn't really have to pass that much so it's hard to say. The cornerback situation seems pretty solid when they're healthy but I'd like to see some improvement at safety.

Special teams are about the only thing the Bills seem to have locked up. Good kicker, great punter and return men out the ass.

As usual this time of year I have to wonder if the Bills have anyone competant running the scouting department, looking at the past ten plus years of drafting. I'm not optimistic. :(

Eagles franchise tagged Vick and transition tagged Akers

I think the Steelers need someone else in the secondary. Even if Ike Taylor comes back, that is the obvious weakness of the teams defense and an issue they need to address. Another LB to eventually replace Harrison would be nice too, but we always seem to get guys who can do that pretty easily anyways.

The O-Line actually played a lot better than I expected until they were decimated with injuries. It's hard to find a lot of needs when you make the Super Bowl and lose a close game, but those are things I can think of off the top of my head.

In more general NFL discussion, anyone else think the league could benefit a lot from having a real development/minor league system? The guys they get off practice squads/the road would be helped a lot by spending time honing their skills in NFL rules in some sort of league with competitive games. It'd be especially useful for QB's who can't really get any time in competitive play without the starter getting injured and they could really get polished/better like that. I don't know, just an idea.

In more general NFL discussion, anyone else think the league could benefit a lot from having a real development/minor league system? The guys they get off practice squads/the road would be helped a lot by spending time honing their skills in NFL rules in some sort of league with competitive games. It'd be especially useful for QB's who can't really get any time in competitive play without the starter getting injured and they could really get polished/better like that. I don't know, just an idea.

Yeah, I'd like NFL Europe back too. But the proper one, with fewer German terms and the almighty LONDON Monarchs back.

• 2 weeks later...

My sources have told me that the owners are looking to a lock out next season mainly because Rex Ryan has already guaranteed that the Jets are going to win the Super Bowl next year. Why play if you have issues with the finances and absolutely no hope of winning?

:shifty:

• Like 1

I think the Steelers need someone else in the secondary. Even if Ike Taylor comes back, that is the obvious weakness of the teams defense and an issue they need to address. Another LB to eventually replace Harrison would be nice too, but we always seem to get guys who can do that pretty easily anyways.

The Steelers had the #1 defense in the NFL so while saying that they need a DB is true, unless that DB is Brandon Harris I really really really hope they go with a Tackle in the first round.

That is assuming they can keep Ike Taylor though. If Taylor's gone then they'll need to go CB in Round One.

Harrison is going to play out his contract (2014) and be done. They have time to replace him unless he gets hurt and they're high on Worilds.

The O-Line actually played a lot better than I expected until they were decimated with injuries. It's hard to find a lot of needs when you make the Super Bowl and lose a close game, but those are things I can think of off the top of my head.

The Steelers need to upgrade three offensive line positions (LG, RG, RT). Now I think Ramon Foster can be their starting RG of the future, I don't know if the Steelers agree.

Chris Kemoeatu is garbage and needs upgraded yesterday. At right tackle they have 96 year old Flozell Adams if he comes back. Or they can re-sign Willie Colon but that's just stupid.

Unless Brandon Harrison or Cameron Heyward are going to be the pick at 1.31 then I'd like to think they'll go for a Tackle.

Edited by Evil Chase K

So, the combine. Just random thoughts:

Anybody shocked by Julio Jones out-performing AJ Green in the drills, and saying he'll go before AJ is just silly. Jones is and has always been a total freak - it's the reason he was considered a better HS prospect coming out. But, AJ Green is still the better player.

Brandon Harris measured in at 5'9", which is pretty shit. He's going to need to post a big vertical and a sub 4.5 40 to ensure he goes in the 1st, most likely.

I'm sure you've already heard, but Paea is a BEAST. 49 reps ain't no joke, especially since that strength very much translates to the playing field.

Robert Quinn only recored 20 reps of the 225, but that's not that big of a deal. He's always been a finesse/speed rusher. DaQuan Bowers's 22 is pretty laughable, though, since his game is literally nothing but a bull rush and straight-line speed.

Marcel Dareus weighed in at 319 lbs, which is NT-sized. Assuming he can carry the weight well, though, he's still my #3 best player in the draft.

These QBs are shit. Just.. shit. Sad that Arizona's actually in a position to draft one this year, and there isn't a single one worth the #5 pick. Oh well, give me one out of Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson or Von Miller any day, god knows we could use each and every one of them. We'll trade for Kolb (assuming there's a new CBA), or pick one up later, I guess.

Likewise, this OT class is pretty poor. Tyron Smith measured in over 300 lbs, which is a huge plus for him, and he might be the first tackle drafted on upside alone.

Marcell Dareus, at 319 pounds, just ran a 4.94 40, with a 1.66 10-yard split. That's.. pretty freakish. To put this into perspective: the running backs at last year's combine averaged a 1.63 10-yard split.

And Marvin Austin was just timed with a 1.63 split. Geez.

Edited by Mysterio2000X