sahyder1

On 4/12/2011 at 15:36, RPS said:

For those wondering about the must-see Seasons, in my opinion:

• China (15)
  • Exile Island (12)
  • Amazon (6)
  • Pearl Island (7)
  • Borneo (1)
  • All-Stars (8), Fans vs. Favorites (16) and Heroes vs. Villians (20) (they are always great, because you get to see returning super stars)

The one's I avoid, because to my mind they aren't very good.

• Australia (2)
  • Thailand (4)
  • Cook Island (13)
  • Fiji (14)

And what characters did I like/dislike? 

On 4/12/2011 at 21:36, RPS said:

Favorites: Richard Hatch (Borneo & All Stars), Rob C (Amazon), Sandra (Pearl Islands), Ami (Vanuatu), Shane (Exile Island), Todd (China), Courtney (China), Cirie (Micronesia), Tyson (Toncantins).

Least favorites: Russell (Samoa and HvV), Denise (China), the whole cast of Thailand & Fiji, John (Marquesas), Tom (Palau)

All Stars is important to watch to understand the progression of the show. At the time it aired, I absolutely detested it and hated it. In 2004, it was like watching all your favorite heroes and legends get killed. But like all things, time changes. Once you had several more returnee seasons where you watch the same cycle happen - the legends die, some legends stay the same, some new legends are born - the sting of All Stars wears off. 

Once you watch it the first time and you know the car crash is coming, All Stars has some really interesting character moments. 

• Like 1

If I could divide All-Stars up by pre-merge and post-merge, the former would be at a not unreasonable place on my list and the latter would be somewhere near the bottom, only really elevated by the Alicia boot episode because Shii-Ann winning immunity was pretty great.

I don't think Australia has that much to go on on a rewatch. It doesn't have the novelty of the first season and both the pre-merge and post-merge games are pretty straightforward, barring Colby, Tina & Keith taking out Jerri & Amber before Elisabeth & Rodger. 

It is funny because years ago I was way more invested in rewatching the old seasons, but I have fallen off the map on that one. I tried to get my hubby to watch the show and showed him a few clips, but he was never interested and I just never got back on the horse. It's fun to come back here and talk about it from time to time, but I can't imagine ever going back to watch old seasons. 

If I had to rank which seasons are in the top of my own personal list, I'd probably say Borneo (1), Pearl Islands (7), Panama (12), China (15), Heroes vs. Villains (20), South Pacific (23), Philippines (25), and Kaoh Rong (32). I am all about really interesting and gripping narratives and those I think have really great stories that run throughout the season. A lot of people shit on South Pacific, but I think it has some of the best editing and story telling in the shows history. 

If I had to say which are my favorite characters now I'd say its probably Tai (32), Abi Maria (25/31), Sophie (23), Coach (23/20/18), Sandra (20/8), Todd (15), Earl (14), Tina (2/8/25) and Richard (1/8). 

27 minutes ago, Azazel said:

You hated Tom?  I find it kind of funny that Fiji was one of my favorites.  Earl and Yao-Man were great the the 4 Horsemen fail was the absolute best.

How was Australia not any good?!?!?

I do not like Tom. You know those times in your life when you meet somebody and everyone is like "oh, Guy X is so amazing. He is so funny" but you just see right through him? That is how I feel about Tom. I always perceived him as a bully and as self-righteous. 

I actually had only ever watched Fiji once at the time it aired when I said that. I went back and rewatched it and I enjoy it a lot more on a second and third watch through. 

The problem with Australia is that it followed Borneo and it was not Borneo. Survivor at the time was a huge cultural moment. We literally had a Survivor finale party for Borneo at my house and like 10 of my friends came. It wasn't as big as the Superbowl, but it was close. Australia was always going to be a disappointment for a lot of people, because it was not Borneo. It's so strange to explain, but imagine right after Borneo and you hear they are going to do another season. Borneo was so perfect in so many ways and Australia had to be different, but the same. So Australia was always "not great" in my head because it followed Borneo and could never be as good. 

2 minutes ago, RPS said:

I do not like Tom. You know those times in your life when you meet somebody and everyone is like "oh, Guy X is so amazing. He is so funny" but you just see right through him? That is how I feel about Tom. I always perceived him as a bully and as self-righteous. 

Tom is a pretty dick to Ian at the end of Palau. And for what reason? Because Ian was considering trying to vote out Tom so he wouldn't hand him a million dollars? I'm surprised it didn't turn more people off of him. 

Even before that I never liked him. He's just the type of person who has this arrogance about himself. I get why people like him, but I've always thought he was an arrogant asshole. 

Starting episode one of Heroes vs Villians.

I had the main villians corrects, mostly because I guessed pretty much every possible one.  So Russell, Coach, Tyson, Randy and Boston Rob (no Lex, Judd, Jean-Robert or Shane).  Courtney, Jerri and Danielle were correct.  Didn't expect Sandra at all and why the hell is Parvati a villian?

Heroes I had Colby, Rupert, James and Tom for the men, J.T. makes sense as well.  I had no idea for the women except Cirie.  Glad to see Sugar back and Stephanie makes sense.  Amanda though?  Who the hell is Candice?!?!? (Upon looking it up she was on my most hated list from Cook Islands but I do not remember her at all).  Why is she a hero?

Amanda, Candice and Sandra are three I probably wouldn't have guessed but I really think Parvati and Candice are on the wrong tribes here.

So who got bumped for someone else?

Poor Colby, he can't play a god damn season of Survivor without Jerri.  I guess this also means James and Amanda have now played 3 seasons together as well.

Christ, a dislocated shoulder 15 minutes in.

Now Sandra is stripping Sugar, what an opening episode.

Edited by Azazel

Shane and/or Penner were bumped when when the producers absolutely loved Russell and had to have him come back immediately. It's never been definitively proven which one was cut at the last second. Corinne was also very close to being cast, but couldn't get the time off work. Amy O'Hara from Guatemala also had to drop off at the last second, if I recall correctly. I also think Danni from Guatemala has been considered for every returning season, but she apparently is holding out for an All Winners season. 

The fact that Russell was an unknown player, plus some other allegations against the producers, really soured people against Russell at this point. You'll get to it in a few episodes, but Parvati and Russell end up aligning and Parvati was close friends with the women in charge of casting. It's been alleged that Parvati had inside info into who Russell. 

The Hero/Villain distinction is just arbitrary. I can't recall off the top of my head, but there was a rumor that Parvati was always meant to be on the Hero tribe, but the producers were worried about having James, Amanda and Cirie on the Hero tribe, so they put her on the villain tribe. 

I just found it kind of odd that Jeff said Parvati lead some evil women alliance... that include Cirie and Amanda who were on the Heroes team.

So far the best part of the show (after 1 episode) is Jeff taking shots at Coach's life experience.  The teaser for episode two almost had me immediately watch the next episode, but it was already after midnight and I had to be up for work in 7 hours.  I just saw what looked like a dead Boston Rob

Yeah, the Parvati/Cirie/Amanda thing is kind of interesting. But Cirie was sort of billed as this woman who jumped off the couch following Panama and has always been pretty fondly admired by the fans. And that's despite some of the moves she orchestrated (Erik's immunity). 

Candice is still the person who people don't quite understand why she was on the show and certainly not why she was a hero. She mutinied from her tribe. 

But Heroes vs. Villains is one of the best seasons of the show and probably the best returning player season. I will forgive any casting faults it may have had. It more than makes up for it. 

...did Tyson just vote himself out?  Rob actually had a brilliant plan that could not fail and Tyson screwed himself over by changing his vote.  I cannot fathom why, the most votes he could get was 3 which would be a tie and the tiebreaker would be 5-2 no matter what... I don't understand this.

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

...did Tyson just vote himself out?  Rob actually had a brilliant plan that could not fail and Tyson screwed himself over by changing his vote.  I cannot fathom why, the most votes he could get was 3 which would be a tie and the tiebreaker would be 5-2 no matter what... I don't understand this.

Okay, so here is what happened. Tyson believed that Russell was going home. Russell believed he was going home. Tyson believed it was in his best interest to keep Russell around because he wanted Parvati gone. Most people wanted Russell to stay, not Parvati. Tyson believes that Danielle and Parvati will switch their votes to Russell out of self preservation and Russell goes home and Parvati stays. Tyson erroneously assumes everyone is acting in their own best interest and switches his vote. Russell correctly (but from what he is told erroneously) believes the votes on Parvati. Tyson ends up going home because he over thought things. Tyson thought Parvati and Russell would turn on each other, but Russell misplayed and survives. 

I regret thinking J.T. Having a perfect season makes him one of the best castaways.... he somehow beat our Erik for the absolute dumbest.  How did 5 people think that was a good idea?  Only Rupert later realized that the dude was on the VILLANS tribe.

Amanda goes and makes things worse by telling Parvati to play the idol, showing their hand completely.  The Heroes are idiots.

4 hours ago, Azazel said:

I regret thinking J.T. Having a perfect season makes him one of the best castaways.... he somehow beat our Erik for the absolute dumbest.  How did 5 people think that was a good idea?  Only Rupert later realized that the dude was on the VILLANS tribe.

Amanda goes and makes things worse by telling Parvati to play the idol, showing their hand completely.  The Heroes are idiots.

I kinda get why JT did it. He needed to play an aggressive, over the top game to shed his good, Southern boy attitude. He already won and was willingly to take a huge risk. It ultimately did not pan out, but that is also on the Heroes too because Sandra told them not to trust Russell.