General Football Thread

Starvinho

• Admin

A Colombian lawyer is suing Fifa for 1bn Euros for moral damages caused by the refereeing at the World Cup.

74-year-old Aurelio Jimenez claims he was taken to hospital with cardiac and respiratory problems as a result of Colombia's 2-1 defeat to Brazil in the quarter-final - a match in which Colombian defender Mario Yepes had a goal disallowed and James Rodriguez was booked.

Jimenez says: "I decided to sue Fifa because in the World Cup there were many wrongdoings related to referees who damaged many countries , among them the Colombia team that suffered the corruption of referee Antonio Velasco Carballo, who annulled a fair goal of Mario Alberto Yepes.

"I felt very bad, I was heartbroken, my cardiac rhythm was altered and my relatives took me to the Emergency Room at the Hospital. I was surrounded by my grandchildren who were crying a lot."

A group of American mothers are suing FIFA to limit the number of headers per game youth players can make.

Ridiculous and unenforceable.

In some slightly sad news:

Former Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia has announced his retirement after a heart condition was detected at a routine medical.

The Spaniard, 37, was set to join Serie A side Cagliari on a free transferafter two seasons at Watford.

Tests revealed Almunia, who played 175 times for Arsenal, has a potentially fatal genetic heart disorder.

"I can confirm that Manuel Almunia failed a medical due to a heart condition," said a Cagliari spokesman.

Apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a disease of the heart tissue that causes it to thicken and can lead to sudden death.

Almunia began his playing career at home club Osasuna in 1999 before joining Arsenal in 2004 from Celta Vigo, leaving eight years later for Watford.

He replaced first-choice keeper Jens Lehmann in the 2006 Champions League final against Barcelona when the German was sent off in the first half. Arsenal lost the game 2-1.

Stolen from Lineker's lot

• Admin
An Irish league footballer has been convicted of a nightclub assault on a rival player. Cliftonville goalkeeper Conor Devlin, a former Manchester United reserve player, knocked out Jim O'Hanlon with a single punch. He reacted after the Glentoran winger repeatedly pulled on Devlin's beard, Belfast Magistrates Court heard.