General Football Thread

Starvinho

I do love Brazilian football and it's treatment of managers.

For example, there are 20 teams in the Brazilian top division, there were 26 managerial changes last season and it's basically the same 25-30 managers going around and around. Wanderlei Luxembergo was appointed and sacked as manager of Santos four times in twelve years.

• Admin
1549: Remember Steve Kean? Well, the former Blackburn Rovers manager has guided Brunei DPMM past Geylang International on penalties to reach Friday's Singapore League Cup final against Tanjong Pagar United. Indeed the Scot - who was chased out of Ewood Park after a turbulent tenure - could win a treble in his first season in south-east Asia, with Brunei three points clear at the top of the 12-team table and also in the semi-finals of the Singapore Cup.
:lol:
  • Like 1

I do love Brazilian football and it's treatment of managers.

For example, there are 20 teams in the Brazilian top division, there were 26 managerial changes last season and it's basically the same 25-30 managers going around and around. Wanderlei Luxembergo was appointed and sacked as manager of Santos four times in twelve years.

vGOisBE.png

That's impressive!

1549: Remember Steve Kean? Well, the former Blackburn Rovers manager has guided Brunei DPMM past Geylang International on penalties to reach Friday's Singapore League Cup final against Tanjong Pagar United. Indeed the Scot - who was chased out of Ewood Park after a turbulent tenure - could win a treble in his first season in south-east Asia, with Brunei three points clear at the top of the 12-team table and also in the semi-finals of the Singapore Cup.

Noted Ernie managed club Tanjong Pagar.

They have two Cork lads and former Cork City players Joe Gamble and Roy O'Donovan over there. Apparently they're on pretty lucrative contracts too.

I have to support them so. It's great to see them doing well!

Gamble and O'Donovan used to play for Hartlepool! So did Dennis Behan.

He was so shit :P

Behan was pretty decent for Cork City back in the day. Was never going to get too many goals but was strong as an ox and had a belter of a free kick on him. Nice guy too. He was in the same Cork City Youth team and U21 team as my brother years ago so I always wanted him to do well!

City have a pretty rich record of selling strikers to the UK actually. Long, Doyle, O'Flynn, Behan and Mooney all went over. Unfortunately for Hartlepool they snagged the worst! :P

Wasn't Dunga criticised for being negative as Brazil manager last time he was in charge?

Yes he was. But the FA doesn't care. They just want a prestigious name managing so he can be their shield for all the disonest and stupid decisions they make.

It's kicking off in Croatia. Man City's U-21 side has walked off the pitch against HNK Rijeka because their fans allegedly hurled a lot of racist abuse towards Seko Fofana leading to the match being cancelled in the latter stages of the first half. It's being investigated by the Croatian FA apparently. Also a rumour swirling around that at some point after the fact, Fofana assaulted the official. Bloody hell.

Edited by Hughes

Gamble and O'Donovan used to play for Hartlepool! So did Dennis Behan.

He was so shit :P

Behan was pretty decent for Cork City back in the day. Was never going to get too many goals but was strong as an ox and had a belter of a free kick on him. Nice guy too. He was in the same Cork City Youth team and U21 team as my brother years ago so I always wanted him to do well!

City have a pretty rich record of selling strikers to the UK actually. Long, Doyle, O'Flynn, Behan and Mooney all went over. Unfortunately for Hartlepool they snagged the worst! :P

He did have a good free kick and I seem to remember him always being a happy bloke in the videos on our website but he was never going to make it over here. Just not good enough.

We almost signed another guy from Cork who ended up going to to Ipswich instead. Healy I think it was.