General Football Thread

Starvinho

So apparently we're going to be seeded in the draw on Thursday with possible opponents being Bosnia, Estonia, Turkey or Montenegro. Obviously Estonia is one to get in that situation but all of them are winnable.

Remember though, we'll have to make allowances for the replay of the Ireland v Armenia game. Afterall, Ireland will be offering up a chance for Armenia to play it again after they were unfairly robbed of their goalkeeper after 30 minutes? I mean, Ireland are the moral crusaders for all that is fair and good in the game aren't they? :shifty:

Gutted for Armenia, but what a great story from them. Finishing third in the group is such a good achievement for them and hopefully this is the start of a golden era for their football team.

Hopefully Ireland get Turkey, so I can root for the Irish and not have to sacrifice an Estonia, Bosnia or Montenegro defeat. Then again, Estonia and the like will probably stand a better chance against Ireland than the others, but they got this far so why not go further. Estonia knocking out a Portugal or something to make it? :D

It'll be like when Latvia qualified for 2004 thanks to this handsome fellas goals:

Latvia+v+Switzerland+FIFA2010+World+Cup+Qualifier+eN08q6fX6M4l.jpg

And we all know what happened at Euro 2004? An unfancied team of limited players who relied on set-pieces won the whole thing. So basically, if Estonia qualify.. England have it in the bag. :D

Edited by IAceI
  • Like 1

I suspect England will crash out in the group stage and everybody will be shocked and devasated because for 2 or 3 months leading up to the tournament everybody will say how we can match and beat anybody on their day, despite struggling to overcome teams like Wales, Switzerland and Montenegro in our group.

Edited by Sam

I really fancy our chances looking at our 4 possible opponents tommorrow. I'd rank them as preferential opponents as follows but I think we're better than all of them.

1. Estonia
  2. Montenegro
  3. Bosnia
  4. Turkey

There's just something about going to Istanbul that's worrisome.

I presume "something worrisome" is a euphamism for "getting stabbed".

Not necessarily. I mean I may go to the home tie if the tickets are reasonably priced but not a hope I'm going to the away tie regardless of where it is.

I just don't like being the away team in hostile enviorments like that, especially with so much at stake

It won't, believe me, I'm super confident this time around. Going to try and get tickets too as soon as they're available, the Aviva will be rocking on that night. It'll be cool to see the stadium too, haven't been to a match since we moved away from Croke Park.

Oh well as long as you're confident that's that sorted. :D

I like the idea that all of Ireland cheered when they found out they had Estonia, shouting "the best draw we could hope for!" Meanwhile the exact same was happening all throughout Estonia.

I have a Latvian friend and therefore probably have more in common with Estonia than Ireland. That's my strenuous link for supporting Estonia. (And my pre-mentioned theory of the Latvia/Greece - Estonia/England connection.)

Edited by IAceI

Oh well as long as you're confident that's that sorted. :D

I like the idea that all of Ireland cheered when they found out they had Estonia, shouting "the best draw we could hope for!" Meanwhile the exact same was happening all throughout Estonia.

I'd argue that we're better than Czech Republic, but yeah it's a favourable draw for Estonia too but this is the team that struggled against Northern Ireland last week, can't help but feel confident. Especially when you consider it was France two years ago.