General Football Thread

Starvinho

Great Britain footballers 'may lack passion' for 2012 Olympics

A member of the last football team to represent Great Britain at an Olympics believes top international players should not take part in London 2012.

Mike Greenwood, 76, was one of 19 amateur players in Team GB at the 1960 Games in Rome.

As the wrangling continues over the make-up of next year's squad, Greenwood said the big stars may lack passion for the tournament.

"Top-class players are trophy-hunting. They should step aside," he said.

Although the British Olympic Association has said a "historic agreement" has been reached with the English Football Association over fielding teams at the 2012 Games, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have denied this is the case.

Great Britain have not fielded a football team at the Olympics for 51 years, although a squad did try to qualify for subsequent Games up to 1974, when the English FA scrapped the distinction between amateurs and professionals.

That 1960 team - containing 12 Englishmen, four Scots and three players from Northern Ireland - lost to Brazil, drew with Italy and beat Formosa in their group. That meant an early exit from the competition.

However, Greenwood, a former midfielder for Bishop Auckland, believes the passion and team spirit shown by the amateurs is unlikely to be replicated by today's professionals.

And he also raised concerns over the potential involvement of ex-England captain David Beckham, who has said "he would be honoured to play for the British football team at the London Olympics in 2012".

Greenwood stated: "I think it's sad that for financial and political reasons, some top-class professional sportsmen appear to be trophy-hunting. They already play in World Cups and cup finals. I question whether they have the passion for the Olympics. Why don't they give others a chance?

"It's about the finance these days and money talks.

"I can see why David Beckham may be in the team. I've no axe to grind with him but it's all finance.

"Every kid in the country will want a replica shirt if it has got Beckham's name on the back.

"I've nothing against that but it seems he's in there for reasons other than sport.

"It's a pity there's no equivalent of amateur football like there was in my day.

"Representing Great Britain at the Olympics would give lesser mortals something to aim for and aspire to but that doesn't happen now.

"I played football because I enjoyed it. Those who played in 1960 were privileged and honoured to play for their country.

"If there was an amateur status, I'd rather they represented Great Britain at the Olympics."

1. I feel it's a bit unfair to say that the players who want to go are doing it for personal gain, look at Messi when he pleaded to go with Argentina and won a gold medal. Maybe the Olympics aren't the top of the pile for football players like it is for Gymnasts and the like, but they still want to win and represent their country.

And 2. Good luck getting them to show less passion than they already do. <_<

Edited by IAceI

Great Britain footballers 'may lack passion' for 2012 Olympics

A member of the last football team to represent Great Britain at an Olympics believes top international players should not take part in London 2012.

Mike Greenwood, 76, was one of 19 amateur players in Team GB at the 1960 Games in Rome.

As the wrangling continues over the make-up of next year's squad, Greenwood said the big stars may lack passion for the tournament.

"Top-class players are trophy-hunting. They should step aside," he said.

Although the British Olympic Association has said a "historic agreement" has been reached with the English Football Association over fielding teams at the 2012 Games, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have denied this is the case.

Great Britain have not fielded a football team at the Olympics for 51 years, although a squad did try to qualify for subsequent Games up to 1974, when the English FA scrapped the distinction between amateurs and professionals.

That 1960 team - containing 12 Englishmen, four Scots and three players from Northern Ireland - lost to Brazil, drew with Italy and beat Formosa in their group. That meant an early exit from the competition.

However, Greenwood, a former midfielder for Bishop Auckland, believes the passion and team spirit shown by the amateurs is unlikely to be replicated by today's professionals.

And he also raised concerns over the potential involvement of ex-England captain David Beckham, who has said "he would be honoured to play for the British football team at the London Olympics in 2012".

Greenwood stated: "I think it's sad that for financial and political reasons, some top-class professional sportsmen appear to be trophy-hunting. They already play in World Cups and cup finals. I question whether they have the passion for the Olympics. Why don't they give others a chance?

"It's about the finance these days and money talks.

"I can see why David Beckham may be in the team. I've no axe to grind with him but it's all finance.

"Every kid in the country will want a replica shirt if it has got Beckham's name on the back.

"I've nothing against that but it seems he's in there for reasons other than sport.

"It's a pity there's no equivalent of amateur football like there was in my day.

"Representing Great Britain at the Olympics would give lesser mortals something to aim for and aspire to but that doesn't happen now.

"I played football because I enjoyed it. Those who played in 1960 were privileged and honoured to play for their country.

"If there was an amateur status, I'd rather they represented Great Britain at the Olympics."

1. I feel it's a bit unfair to say that the players who want to go are doing it for personal gain, look at Messi when he pleaded to go with Argentina and won a gold medal. Maybe the Olympics aren't the top of the pile for football players like it is for Gymnasts and the like, but they still want to win and represent their country.

And 2. Good luck getting them to show less passion than they already do. <_<

That was my first reaction, and I would imagine that of most other readers. It's enough of a problem at the best of times, but I can't see many players wanting to miss games for their club in order to compete in the Olympics, and that's not even getting in to how their club managers would react to the idea.

Anyone else heard the rumours that FIFA are apparently considering having three periods in the 2022 Qatar World Cup to 'combat the heat issues' and the like?

I'm trying to see where they originated from but I've noticed them a couple more times for it just to be someone making it up on their own, but I just can't see to find out where it started.

I know this may sound ridiculous, given the people involved, but.. surely FIFA aren't even this stupid?

EDIT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/8621726/World-Cup-in-2022-could-become-a-game-of-three-halves-in-the-40-degree-heat-of-Qatar.html

There you go. In the Telegraph.

Edited by IAceI

I heard that, it's bloody ridiculous. Qatar should never have been given the competition in the first place, it just doesn't make sense with the heat they have over there in the summer. Bring it back to Europe, ahem England ahem...

Every time a World Cup is set to be hosted by a nation outside Europe or South America there are always these kind of rumours floating around. I remember before the USA '94 World Cup there were rumours about changing the size of the goals, etc.

I suppose they'd just have to stick advertisements on during that additional mid-game break as well wouldn't they. Bloody revenue!

I bet they'll have the idea of solving any possible racism at the Russia world cup by painting everyone white. <_<

• Like 1

Yeah I read that on the BBC SPORTSDAY LIVE FEED FOR SPORTS ON SPORTSDAY thing. Hope everyones okay and there aren't any casualties. Quite a big club as well Twente, could imagine something like this happening at a lower league team but not a top flight team, even if construction was being done. Like I say, hope there aren't any casualties but the BBC aren't really giving you much idea of whether there's a high chance of that or not.

Edited by IAceI

Yeah I read that on the BBC SPORTSDAY LIVE FEED FOR SPORTS ON SPORTSDAY thing. Hope everyones okay and there aren't any casualties. Quite a big club as well AZ, could imagine something like this happening at a lower league team but not a top flight team, even if construction was being done. Like I say, hope there aren't any casualties but the BBC aren't really giving you much idea of whether there's a high chance of that or not.

Yeah stuff like this shouldn't happen in Holland. Apparently a crane rammed into the construction but still...

Yeh my thoughts are with the people involved and their relatives over the stadium its a bad thing to here.

Regarding the 3 phases I think you can sum it up basically as: FIFALOL

Makes no sense to have it in Qatar, Personally I thought that World Cup should have went to the Aussies but I think a guy who's been living in a cave for the last 20 years could even tell you that Fifa defies the laws of logic.

One person confirmed dead after the accident, another 12 reported injured and upto 10 more still trapped. A terrible accident, thoughts to the people and families involved.

_53918461_53918460.jpg

The 1 reported dead isn't confirmed yet, they're supposed to have a press conference (4 minutes ago), just waiting for that to start.

EDIT: Just started.

Another pic:

254227.jpg

Edit 2: 1 dead is now confirmed, 14 people involved, 10 in hospital, 2 seriously injured, 3 were treated on location.

Edited by Eddie F'n G

• Admin
Organisers of the 2022 World Cup have dismissed reports matches could be played in three 30-minute sections.

It had been claimed by a director of the company involved in cooling the stadiums in Qatar that the plan was under consideration.

But Qatar 2022 released a statement which said: "Splitting the games has not been discussed at any time.

"All 64 games will be played in carbon neutral cooled stadiums in two halves of 45 minutes, as per regulations."

Comments by Michael Beaven, a director of Arup Associates, had suggested that the traditional length of halves could be altered becasue of the heat which players will be subjected to in the first World Cup to be held in the Middle East.

He was speaking to delegates at the Qatar Infrastructure Conference in London.

Arup Associates are responsible for the development of zero-carbon solar technology which will be used in the air-conditioned stadiums, with outdoor temperatures during the finals likely to exceed 40C.

The statement added: "Statements on this subject made yesterday by Mr Beaven from Arup are without any foundation.

"Representatives from Arup are not spokespeople for Qatar 2022."

Also, Zinedine Zidane has announced he will become Real Madrid's new sporting director from Monday. Although according to him he's only doing it from Monday until the end of the season.

Fabio Cannavaro has announced his retirement after doctors said the 38-year-old's injured knee would not allow him to keep playing. IMO one of the best defenders of the last 10-15 years, a great player indeed. He was playing at Dubai club Al Ahli where reportedly he'll remain as technical adviser.