General Football Thread

Starvinho

Bristol City have designed safe standing 'rail seats' into the planned redesign of Ashton Gate, planned to be in place by 2015. Of course league rules forbid new build standing bits, so they'll be locked down for football games but lifted up for the rugby games they'll share the stadium with. Because of course its a well known fact that its dangerous to stand and watch football, while perfectly safe to do so and watch rugby whilst holding a pint. Obviously.

Bristol City have designed safe standing 'rail seats' into the planned redesign of Ashton Gate, planned to be in place by 2015. Of course league rules forbid new build standing bits, so they'll be locked down for football games but lifted up for the rugby games they'll share the stadium with. Because of course its a well known fact that its dangerous to stand and watch football, while perfectly safe to do so and watch rugby whilst holding a pint. Obviously.

Despite every report into safe standing saying it's perfectly safe, the FA respond with 'LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'

It'll be allowed the moment club figure out the awfully complex idea that it'll lead to them being able to have bigger crowds at their games at much smaller cost than if they expanded their seated stands.

Though, since it took them until the 80's to realise that they could charge their kit sponsors for advertising on their shirts and the 90's to realise they might be able to show their games on television in exchange for money, expect them to figure this out around 2025

Chesham United footballer loses cancer fight

CHESHAM United footballer Ryan Moran has lost his battle against cancer at the age of 31.

Moran passed away this morning at the Isabel Hospice in Welwyn Garden City from a rare form of kidney cancer.

A benefit match for the popular central defender held in May raised £7,000, with Moran having made five appearances for the side last season while battling the disease.

Chesham manager Andy Leese said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, his parents, his sister, extended family and friends. It is a tragic unimaginable loss to his family at just 31 years of age.

"We are all devastated within the club having lost a fantastic guy, a friend and a top class footballer way too early in life. We have seen him in the last few days and he was in good spirits notwithstanding his serious illness.

"He fought his illness as he lived his life, with integrity, dignity, courage and fortitude. Rest in peace big man."

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/10518667.Chesham_United_footballer_loses_cancer_fight/

Despite every report into safe standing saying it's perfectly safe, the FA respond with 'LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'

It'll be allowed the moment club figure out the awfully complex idea that it'll lead to them being able to have bigger crowds at their games at much smaller cost than if they expanded their seated stands.

Though, since it took them until the 80's to realise that they could charge their kit sponsors for advertising on their shirts and the 90's to realise they might be able to show their games on television in exchange for money, expect them to figure this out around 2025

To be fair none of these things were changed due to mass amount of fans being killed. I'm sure it's safe as houses but its a sensitive subject which is why people are going to be understandably hesitant.

Tweaks to the offside law...

‘INTERFERING’ – what the law used to say

“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.

“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movement or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

INTERFERING – what the law now says

“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.

“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movement or challenging an opponent for the ball.

GAINING AN ADVANTAGE – what the law used to say

“Gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a goal post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.

GAINING AN ADVANTAGE - what the law now says

“Gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball…

That rebounds or is deflected to him off the goal post, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position.

That rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2352258/Offside-rule-changed-FIFA--confusion-Premier-League.html

I honestly have no idea.

The bit that I suppose might have be a change is that we'd supposedly no longer have a player ruled as 'interfering' by merely lurking around near the keeper - he has to be obstructing the line of sight or challenging.

Just found out one of the local teams in the town next to me is playing a friendly against Swansea, dafuq. :/

Wish I knew sooner.

Yeah, read that yesterday morning, it's mental.

There's a video going around online too. Haven't watched it and don't plan to. Crazy and horrific story.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23240104

Even if there were only one team on the pitch, 79-0 is quite an achievement. I mean, presumably you'd be tempted to start dicking around (and therefore waste valuable goal-scoring time) after the first half-hour? :shifty:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23240104

Even if there were only one team on the pitch, 79-0 is quite an achievement. I mean, presumably you'd be tempted to start dicking around (and therefore waste valuable goal-scoring time) after the first half-hour? :shifty:

The article says the scores were only 7-0 and 6-0 at half time.

Feeders scored 72 of their goals in the second half, while Police Machine reportedly scored 61 times after the break in their game.

Whatever they took at half time, I want some of it.

72 goals in the second half? That's impressive just in terms of sprinting to the halfway line and back. My only question is why? Betting scam maybe, but your odds for 79-0 aren't going to be any better than 20-0.