2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

• Admin

Harry has revealed that we were also in for Jones.

DO BETTER 'ARRY.

Swansea City have decided not to offer new contracts to midfielder Cedric van der Gun and defender Albert Serran. Youngsters Kerry Morgan and Jamie Grimes have also been released. Midfielder Darren Pratley, who has been linked with a move to Bolton, is not expected to stay either.

From the way SAF included him in the 25 man squads and for some of the Champions League squads, I'd say hoping Hargreaves would return was a reason that we didn't buy another midfielder. Now without him in the 25 man squad, his retirement does make a difference as it frees up a spot for us to bring in a player.

I like how this week has shown the differences in transfer policies between the big four/five

Manchester United got a proven Premier League defender for a slightly above reasonable amount.

Liverpool got a proven Premier League defender for a slightly above reasonable amount and got rid of some dead weight.

Arsenal got an inconsistent Championship defender for peanuts.

I'm sure Arsenal could have afforded to buy both of those players AND they'd have been more worthwhile than spending £40m ish on 30 players who'll get five appearances each.

• Like 1

I like how this week has shown the differences in transfer policies between the big four/five

Manchester United got a proven Premier League defender for a slightly above reasonable amount.

Liverpool got a proven Premier League defender for a slightly above reasonable amount and got rid of some dead weight.

Arsenal got an inconsistent Championship defender for peanuts.

I'm sure Arsenal could have afforded to buy both of those players AND they'd have been more worthwhile than spending £40m ish on 30 players who'll get five appearances each.

I read posts from some "in-the-knows" saying Jones turned down higher wages at Arsenal for United, not sure how true those are though.

I'm a fan of Burke from my Cardiff days in FM09, so I'm distraught at him joining the enemy :unsure:

Although Ross McCormack was always the best player on my team... How has he been doing at Leeds?

Our lack of a decent midfield combination meant we had to play 3 in the middle last season and thus 1 up front, this meant his chances were limited to occasional sub appearances (and Somma's early season form meant he got first dibs there) and occasionally being played out of position. Last 2 games, when we had nothing to play for, we went to a 4-4-2 and he scored 2 in 2 and looked quality. If we sort out our midfield this summer (and given that 2 of our 3 have left, we had better do <_< ) and can play him and Becchio up front next season, we should have one of the best front pairs in the league.

I'm pretty sure O'Shea will stay. I'd actually be pretty shocked if Gibson went as well. With Scholes already retired and Hargreaves gone, we will be pretty short of midfielders in the squad. Brown will definitely be off this summer though. As a right back he isn't bad, it's just at centre back that he really scares me.

Paying 16mil for a centre back in Jones is a strange one as we still need to buy De Gea, at least 1 midfielder (the two priorities) and probably Young too. Could be an expensive summer for us.

I guess if you got 12m for those 3 players that's basically 3/4 million out of covering the Jones deal which really isn't bad at all.

• Admin

Sunderland have made Ahmed Al-Muhammadi's loan stay permanent, on a deal until 2014.

Skysports.com understands Leeds midfielder Bradley Johnson is undergoing a medical at Norwich City ahead of a proposed move.

Lazio have completed the signing of Germany striker Miroslav Klose on a two-year contract.

Well, Stuart Pearce said during his press conference that Henderson and Jones had got their deals ''signed and sealed'' but then stopped short of confirming that they'd moved clubs.

A slip of the tongue, perhaps, but I have no idea why neither has been officially announced yet.