The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

You just knew it was gonna happen.

In all fairness, they were the best side. And on the bright side, at least I've won some money (read: got back some of what I pissed away yesterday) as I had it down as scum in normal time :shifty:

Wouldn't have thought Kompany to be the guy to make the error, mind. Always seemed very calm and confident, their stand out player from last year. Wonder how many Man Utd fans started caring about the Community Shield in the second half. :D

Well deserved, and as soon as De Gea can settle in, I think we're sorted. Some of the attacking play today was the best I've seen in a Utd side. The defending was okay, set pieces look as if they could hurt us this year though. Bit worrying but happy that we've shown just what we're made of this early in the season. Young, Nani, Welbeck, Cleverley, Smalling were excellent, so many good performances out there today. De Gea recovered well and made a couple of decent saves that should help him.

Please for the love of god....Someone at Sky do the world a favour and fire Ray Wilkins :( His commentary is just unbearable

Lovely performance where we were by a mile the better side, pretty much dominated it for the majority of the match. De Gea could of done much better on both goals, shame, but that's how it goes.

Second goal was simply sensational. Overall a brilliant performance, right up for the season coming up, Cleverly was brilliant in the second half.

Kompany is officially off my Christmas card list! :angry:

But I agree with the plaudits for Nani's first, one of the best worked goals I have seen from an English team in ages. Will probably become a key part of every Sky Sports advert ever now, just like the last time United hit a good goal against City. Sad that we didn't get an Aguero cameo though, in case it went to penalties.

Really happy with everything about today. It was a brilliant game, we played very well and we beat City. Looking forward to the Premier League now, if we carry on with the form we've shown in pre-season we'll be up there at the top again.

Also how good is Cleverley? If he keeps playing like that he'll become a regular starter for us.

• Admin

Before today I had really only noticed Cleverley during his spell at Watford. He excelled there and will no doubt go on to do great things for Man Utd. I really don't see the need for Sneijder.

All the good players have spells at Watford (Y)

• Like 1

We scored a good team goal in last seasons Comm Shield too, when Berba sealed the game, but this was amazing. To top things off, Cleverley played a blinder. I was saying to Jordan on fb, I hope he's given the chance to start against WBA next week.

Gary Neville is a legend.

That was so fun. I've been rabbiting on about how good Tom Cleverley is for ages and he showed how good he is, great performance. Welbeck too. In fact, that entire second half team was amazing. Even the more derided members of the team (harshly so) like Evans and Anderson.

De Gea got caught out by the second goal (first I'm not holding massively against him, probably on a par with Hart for Smalling's goal) but he recovered well. Glad we won because that takes a bit of the attention away from him, even though it doesn't matter (as a few people have pointed out, Jaap Stam had a terrible debut in the Shield vs. Arsenal).

Gary Neville is a legend.

That was so fun. I've been rabbiting on about how good Tom Cleverley is for ages and he showed how good he is, great performance. Welbeck too. In fact, that entire second half team was amazing. Even the more derided members of the team (harshly so) like Evans and Anderson.

De Gea got caught out by the second goal (first I'm not holding massively against him, probably on a par with Hart for Smalling's goal) but he recovered well. Glad we won because that takes a bit of the attention away from him, even though it doesn't matter (as a few people have pointed out, Jaap Stam had a terrible debut in the Shield vs. Arsenal).

:D :D He was lying on the floor when Lescott headed it man :D

Edited by IAceI

I thought Anderson had a particularly good game, he's looked good all pre-season so I'm hopeful this could be the season he fulfills his potential. De Gea was at fault for the Dzeko goal but he made up for it with the save from Johnson in the second half. It'll probably take him a while to settle fully but I thought it was a decent debut for him.