The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I don't get why he isn't being allowed to leave, we are keen on giving chances to Lindegaard and Amos seems to be getting the Carling Cup games and supposedly Doncaster and Sheffield wanted him on loan as well and if he doesn't want to stay here why not just let him go?

He is allowed to go, just not to us because Fergie clearly still gets his knickers in a twist and throws all common sense out of the window at the mere mention of Leeds. Nice to know.

He's under contract to united. What they choose to with him is their buisiness.

Yes. Gotta love professional football and its open flouting of European law on free movement of labour.

In some ways it astonishes me still that the European Commission declared the transfer system to be in breech of human rights over a decade ago, yet still here we are. In other ways it doesn't astonish me in the least, but that's me being jaded. The method of 'compensation' tribunals now used for players under a certain age is more in line, but the fact it is limited to the young and designed with 'clubs recouping development costs' in mind only goes to show the skewed priorities with which the rules are created.

Modern football is a hideous anomaly, but that's how it will remain so long as the EU values money (now more than ever!) above all else.

• Admin
A man has been arrested over claims that London 2012 executives were put under surveillance by a potential tenant of the Olympic Stadium.

Tottenham Hotspur FC monitored all 14 board members of the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC), according to the OPLC's Chair, Baroness Ford.

The Premier League club said it "totally rejects the accusation in the strongest possible terms".

A 29-year-old man was detained in Sussex in connection with the claims.

Spurs and League One club Leyton Orient launched a legal battle when West Ham were chosen to occupy the stadium after the Games.

The bidding process collapsed and a new round of applications has been invited.

Baroness Ford told the London Assembly: "My board were put under surveillance by Tottenham Hotspur and the chairman of Tottenham Hotspur felt confident enough to say that in the Sunday Times several months ago, that all 14 members of my board were put under surveillance.

"The Metropolitan Police are now conducting an investigation into that surveillance.

"There has been all kinds of behaviour here that I could not have anticipated which, believe me, has not been pleasant in the last 12 months.

"I'm expecting the unexpected because that's what the last 12 months has told me.

"Our job now is to narrow, as far as we possibly can, the scope now for legitimate legal challenge in this next process. That is all that we can do.

"If people want then to be vexatious, frivolous and vindictive or whatever they want, they will do that."

But Tottenham said it "did not undertake, instruct or engage any party to conduct surveillance on any member of the OPLC committee".

"We consider the making of this baseless accusation to be wholly inappropriate and irresponsible," it added in a statement.

The Chair of London Assembly's Economy, Culture and Sport Committee, Dee Doocey, said the suggestion that board members had been spied on was "reprehensible" and "absolutely disgraceful".

It "almost beggars belief that this thing can happen", she added.

"I personally find it appalling, and I'm sure I speak for the rest of the committee, at the very idea of your board being put under surveillance."

Scotland Yard said officers had searched homes in Sutton, south London, and in Sussex, as part of their investigation.

Business premises in Westminster, central London, and in Sussex were also examined.

West Ham and the OPLC "have made allegations to the Metropolitan Police in respect of the unlawful obtaining of personal information", a spokeswoman added.

Oh god when will it end ;_;

Have I got it right in thinking none of the Spurs fans actually want to move to the Olympic stadium yet the board for some reason keep persisting at trying to move there?

• Admin
Wigan Athletic have announced that Paraguay defender Antolin Alcaraz has accepted the FA's misconduct charge for spitting following the incident at the end of Sunday's Barclays Premier League match against Wolverhampton Wanderers, which carries an automatic three match ban.

The matter will be treated with utmost seriousness and be dealt with internally, according to the club's code of conduct

Good. Disgusting behaviour which needs to be eradicated.

Manchester City confirm that defender Kolo Toure has received a fine of six weeks' wages which relates to doping offences committed by him earlier this year.
Edited by Lineker

• Admin
0937 FOOTBALL: Manchester City expect Carlos Tevez to report for training on Wednesday despite the striker being pictured arriving in Argentina on Tuesday. Tevez may face further disciplinary action if he misses training.

1205 FOOTBALL: Manchester City have confirmed Carlos Tevez failed to arrive for training for 11am. They've now informed their lawyers to take the matter on. Club also confirmed that Tevez had asked for permission to return to Argentina - but was refused.

It's almost as if he's trying to piss them off now.

Edited by Lineker

I love it. It's clear that City have gone 'Carlos, we're giving you a way back, we've backed off on refusing to play to allow that', and he's just gone into mental suing Graeme Souness mode. I never want it to end.

No doubt at all, he owes me at least a season ticket price for destroying Sir Bobs team, plus the emotional distress of seeing Aaron Hughes go ( :wub: ), but I fully agreed with him on the Tevez situation.

• Admin

Keep in mind that this IS from the Mirror's website, but if true, expect the Ashley hate to resurface...

EDIT - apparently this press release has gone out to all media outlets in the country, however.

Newcastle will today controversially end 120 years of history and scrap the St James’ Park stadium name.

Owner Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias are renaming the venue the Sport Direct Arena.

And they have kicked off the search for a £15 million combined shirt and stadium sponsorship deal with global companies.

The move is likely to spark anger among Geordie fans and bring charges of wrecking a piece of Tyneside heritage.

But Newcastle’s chiefs argue they need to tap into the lucrative blue-chip branding market - with money raised reinvested in Alan Pardew’s squad, and keeping ticket prices down.

Ashley first announced plans to sell the naming rights to St James’s Park in October 2009, and a watered down version SportsDirect@St James’s Park has been used ever since, maintaining the historical link.

But United have tested that concept and potential sponsors have shied away - demanding complete stadium rebranding as the preferred option.

The stadium naming rights will be sold as a package with the shirt sponsorship - because Northern Rock, the current name on United’s strip have decided not to renew their deal when it expires in May.

Newcastle hope to raise the equivalent of buying a decent young player every season from the deal.

The Sports Direct Arena, as St James’s Park will now be known as from this morning, will “showcase” what is on offer for new sponsors.

Newcastle know that the plan will reignite the fury of two years ago when the idea was mooted. That even triggered an Early Day Motion in Parliament signed by MPs.

A senior United source last night said the move was to maximise revenue and push annual turnover beyond the £100 million mark.

A source said: “We are not disrespecting the history or heritage or the fans. We are doing this to keep ticket prices down - we have already had two popular offers for season tickets, the 10 year deals and the recent deal for the rest of the season.”

Newcastle want to fill the stadium this season with an average of 49-50,000 near sell outs and have tried to do ticket deals to help generate near sell out crowds and extra atmosphere.

United believe with extra revenue and careful buying of players they can eventually compete with the likes of Spurs nibbling away behind the top four or five.

The club hierarchy will ask to be trusted on their latest move, after the success of other unpopular changes including sacking Chris Hughton last season.

They insist the money raised will be reinvested in the club and not taken out as profit.

A source said: “It is a golden opportunity and something we have to explore.”