The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Listening to 5 Live, but a lot of the Suarez talk makes me laugh.

You do not need to be a dyed in the wool racist to use a racist term, or say something that may be construed of racism. So using Evra and the FA's comment that they don't consider him a racist as defence really means fuck all.

Indeed, it seemed like the entire scenario involved Suarez using racially motivated language just so he could get into the head of Evra. I hear it's common to say something derogatory about a player's wife/girlfriend on the pitch in order to wind them up, mostly because it can't be proved.

Now, I'm assuming that they found evidence that he was using it, which means that it doesn't matter that he's good mates with black players in Holland because the charge was racially aggravating Evra in the match, not whether he was a racist in general.

Not really sure what to say about the Suarez thing. The club obviously feels he's innocent.I've not really kept up with it nor the Terry case, but it'll be interesting to see what happens there in comparison to this.

Though I can't claim to be aware of all the details of either case, I would not be at all astonished to see the penalty from an incident that was brought by the victim/target (Evra) differ substantially from an incident that was brought about by someone lip-reading on the internet whilst the victim/target (Ferdinand) didn't have a clue.

I feel for Kean. He looked miserable at the end.

And so he should be, he accepted a longer contract despite managing just as good/if not worse than Paul Ince. Does he expect the fans abuse to go away just because he's financially sorted for life?

'Here you go Steve, here is a new contract, please sign here.'

'Nah, rather not, we're doing quite shit actually, you should probably fire me in a few weeks times'

'Oh........oh, ok'

• Like 3

Yeah, he's not going to turn down a contract that tripled his wages and was for four years.

It's also why he won't quit. He knows that if they want to sack him, they've got to pay it up, a cool £3m.

I feel for Kean. He looked miserable at the end.

And so he should be, he accepted a longer contract despite managing just as good/if not worse than Paul Ince. Does he expect the fans abuse to go away just because he's financially sorted for life?

:mellow:

Though I can't claim to be aware of all the details of either case, I would not be at all astonished to see the penalty from an incident that was brought by the victim/target (Evra) differ substantially from an incident that was brought about by someone lip-reading on the internet whilst the victim/target (Ferdinand) didn't have a clue.

That's probably true. I had forgotten myself the difference between the two cases.