The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Us for three games I'd say, Williamsons okay but Taylors far better. Injury crisis is over though with him and Colo back in, would be interesting to see where we'd have been had we not lost two against Chelsea.

• Admin

_57618063_stireland.jpg

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish has urged Stephen Ireland to create headlines on the pitch following the appearance of a controversial photo on Twitter.

The picture was posted on the account of Ireland's girlfriend, Jessica Lawlor, on 22 December.

It shows Ireland wearing silver snakeskin trousers, with a smoking pipe in one hand and a drink in the other.

McLeish said: "You don't want to be bringing attention to yourself. It is not something I want to be discussing."

He added: "Was it a shisha pipe [Arabic smoking pipe] or something? I don't know what is in that stuff. For all I know he could have been blowing bubbles into it or something.

"It is not my world, the way the players live nowadays, with the tweeting and posting pictures of themselves and that.

"Any opinion I have on that will be delivered to Stephen rather than discussing it in the newspapers."

Ireland joined Villa from Manchester City 18 months ago but is yet to cement a first-team place at the club.

McLeish said: "He has been training well and played really well in the first half of the Arsenal game [on 21 December].

"He's got to take that kind of attitude into other games. We know what he can do when he has got the ball. We know he has a got a decent touch.

"But he showed the other attributes in the Arsenal game with his closing down and harrying of people. He has to do more of that.

"We know that he has not really done himself total justice in a Villa shirt. There is still a chance for him, there is still a chance for everybody.

"There will be opportunities over the next two or three games for him to show us what he is really capable of."

Liverpool team to play Newcastle:

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Adam, Henderson, Spearing, Downing, Carroll, Bellamy. Subs: Doni, Maxi, Kuyt, Gerrard, Carragher, Shelvey, Kelly.

I'm not looking forward to this one, but that really doesn't look that formidable a lineup. No doubt good enough to beat us, and I know Suarez, Lucas and Gerrard are missing, but did anyone truly believe it could be 'their year' with that team? The midfield is so average its untrue, and certainly not worth the £50m+ it cost in the last few windows.

Edit: Newcastle team; Krul, Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Taylor, Obertan, Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Vuckic, Ba.

Like it, looks like balls on the ground possession rather than lumping it to Best. That said Vuckic is a big lad too, please don't just hoof at him...

Edited by Colly

I'm not looking forward to this one, but that really doesn't look that formidable a lineup. No doubt good enough to beat us, and I know Suarez, Lucas and Gerrard are missing, but did anyone truly believe it could be 'their year' with that team? The midfield is so average its untrue, and certainly not worth the £50m+ it cost in the last few windows.

If anyone did, they were clearly delusional. This year was never going to be Liverpool's year.