The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Clearly you people who miss Barnsley have never actually been :shifty:

I've been to Barnsley, in our relegation tour in 201... Ace! When were we in the Championship again?

I don't miss them, it was freezing and I had flu.

• Like 1

I'm too young to remember anything before the new millennium sad.gif

Although I was at Wembley for the FA Cup Semi Final against Bolton when we won on penalties. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, me too. I remember Holdsworth's horror miss like it was yesterday. I went to the final, too.

That striped kit is my favourite ever.

When were Villa, Newcastle and Spurs competing for last European spot?

Does he mean Man City instead of us? Seriously, I'm lost.

I'm talking roughly 06-07 season... Before the days of Man City's wealth.

Quit talking out of your arse.

From the 04-05 (the furthest back I'm gonna go) season through to the 08-09 season when Newcastle got relegated, the trio of Villa, Newcastle and Spurs didn't finish in the same half as each other, let alone competed for the 4th European spot.

Newcastle:

04-05: 14th

05-06: 7th

06-07: 12th

07-08: 12th

08-09: 18th

Spurs:

04-05: 9th

05-06: 5th

06-07: 5th

07-08: 11th

08-09: 8th

Villa:

04-05: 8th

05-06: 16th

06-07: 11th

07-08: 6th

08-09: 6th

Look at them, tell me which season these 3 teams looked like competing for the final champions league place? Newcastle had one top half finish, I have literally no idea why you're including them in this debate.

Villa and Spurs had a few seasons in the top 8, but aside from one season under Martin O'Neill, Villa never looked like finishing fourth.

Spurs also had one season they looked like finishing fourth when Arsenal pipped them on the last day of the season, they have since finished fourth once and look unlikely to repeat the feat this season.

If we went back to 02-03 or 03-04 Newcastle had 2 finishes in the top 5, but that's a long way back from your 06-07 claim, so I'm not going to bother going back to then, and since then Villa have gone up for the most part and not stood still.

Now lets look at some other teams:

Bolton:

04-05: 6th

05-06: 8th

06-07: 7th

07-08: 16th

08-09: 13th

Everton:

04-05: 4th

05-06: 11th

06-07: 6th

07-08: 5th

08-09: 5th

Over this period of time, Bolton finished in the top 8 3 times, the same as both Villa and Spurs.

Everton finished in the top 6 four times, the best record out of these 5 clubs I've mentioned.

Surely these clubs where the clubs competing for that final European spot? Not Newcastle.

Please, think before you post, do a bit of research or don't bother posting.

I'm not going to bother looking at all the holes in the Blackburn/Villa argument you posted as others have covered that enough for to realise you where talking shit.

• Like 1

• Admin

I miss Watford. :(

Mainly because my deceased uncle supported them.

Still kicking about!!

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has warned Champions League finals could become a thing of the past unless the club move to a bigger stadium.

The Blues secured their spot in this season's final on 19 May with a dramatic draw in Barcelona on Tuesday.

Chelsea want to leave Stamford Bridge, but Chelsea Pitch Owners, who have the freehold do not want to sell.

Gourlay said: "Remaining in the elite is a challenge because our stadium is outside the top 30 at this time."

The CPO want the club to expand the current stadium, while Chelsea insist the £600m cost and three-year build-time make that unfeasible.

And Gourlay added: "The way Chelsea has geared ourselves up the last few years puts us in a good position to take the club forward.

"The money generated from matchday through the stadiums is considerable.

"It is no secret that while we are the fifth or sixth biggest club in Europe from a financial point of view but staying in the elite teams in the future is a challenge.

"If we are not able to take the money on matchday then we have to look at other parts of the business to generate the revenues and allow us to continue the circle of success to invest into the team."

Chelsea lag behind clubs like Barcelona, who boast the 100,000 capacity Nou Camp and Arsenal's recently built Emirates, which holds 60,000.

In an era of Financial Fair Play, clubs require a large matchday income to allow them to spend more money on signing players and paying wages.

The CPO acquired the freehold to the stadium in 1997 to protect Stamford Bridge from developers should the club run into financial difficulties.

A vote in October 2011 failed to secure the 75% of CPO shareholders' consent required before the freehold could be sold back to the club - with only 61.5% voting in favour.

Chelsea's finances will be boosted by the biggest-ever TV cash pay-out from the Champions League though as a result of beating Barcelona to a place in the final.

They will earn at least £45m, with an additional £2.8m on top if they lift the trophy.

Manchester United had previously held the record pay-out of Champions League television cash having earned £43.5m last season when they were beaten by Barcelona in the final.

Uefa distribute the money based on a calculation of participation and performance bonuses as well as television market share.

Then you're making things up. I'm pretty sure we were shit then. And Spurs didn't qualify for the Champions League until two years ago and not before then in the last twenty odd years.

Who said anything about the Champions League? :huh:

Spurs were in with a shot of european competition in 04/05, managed to reach the quarter finals of the UEFA cup in 06/07, then in 10/11 they got into the Champions League. But i'm sure you knew that, right?

Edited by Manifest
  • Like 1

Then you're making things up. I'm pretty sure we were shit then. And Spurs didn't qualify for the Champions League until two years ago and not before then in the last twenty odd years.

Who said anything about the Champions League? :huh:Proof enough that some people here only see what they want to see.

FYI Spurs were in with a shot of european competition in 04/05, managed to reach the quarter finals of the UEFA cup in 06/07, then in 10/11 they got into the Champions League. But i'm sure you knew that, right?

rolleyes.gif