Blu-Rays

The Hurt Locker

Blade Runner

Inglorius Basterds

RocknRolla

Full Metal Jacket

Pineapple Express

American History X

So yeah, a huge list, showcasing my ability to purchase films, but never actually get around to watch them. So, what should I be rushing to watch? What are some of the less obvious choices that are really worth a view? What shouldn't I go near with a ten foot barge pole?

Edited by Liam

Depends, do you want to kill some time or do you really feel like watching some kind of film? Predators is great fun if you have few expectations, American History X is a classic. Inglorious Basterds and Hurt Locker are both awesome films.

DVD

American Gangster

2001: A Space Odyssey

Dr Strangelove

Let The Right One In

This is England

Evil Dead

Evil Dead 2

Paris Je T'aime

Control

MASH

Koyaanisqatsi

Powaqatsi

Eraserhead

Citizen kane

The Watchmen

Into The Wild

The Blues Brothers

Michael Clayton

Ed Wood

Good Night And Good Luck

Violent Cop

The Pursuit of Happyness

The Blindside

Serious Man

Predators

The Baader-Meinhof Complex

The Girl Who Played With Fire

Deja Vu

The Other Boleyn Girl

Gone Baby Gone

District 9

Inception

State of Play

Blu-Rays

The Hurt Locker

Blade Runner

Inglorius Basterds

RocknRolla

Full Metal Jacket

Pineapple Express

American History X

I highlighted the ones I've seen and recommend. Yes, I know that I highlighted Inception, but just for the sake that everyone should make up their mind about the film and what they think of it.

If you want like a Top 5:

1) Dr. Strangelove

2) 2001: A Space Oddissey

3) Full Metal Jacket

4) Eraserhead

5) Citizien Kane

:shifty:

Also, Inglorious Basterds is not as good as everyone makes it out to be.

EDIT: Also, fuck LOTR.

I'm not looking for specific 'oh, tonight I fancy this kinda movie, so what should I watch?', I'm just trying to get a bit of discussion going, whilst also seeing what is worthwhile in my collection. Some are fairly obvious classics, but there are some other more random selections, so just trying to gauge opinion on some of the choices on offer.

Into the Wild is great in every aspect except for the insufferable narration from the main character's sister, unless it's deliberately meant to trivialize the whole thing.

Also, Inglorious Basterds is not as good as everyone makes it out to be.

EDIT: Also, fuck LOTR.

You're so incredibly dead to me.

Yeah, what the fuck fr34k? Lord of the Rings is fucking awesome. Inglorious Basterds is pretty damn good too.

LOTR looks amazing and Peter Jackson is a good director, I just could never get into the story at all and watching three movies for that has left me with an absurd amount of hatred for the movies.

And Inglorious Basterds is also not a bad movie, but it's easily Tarantino's worst. The only thing that stands out for me in that film is Christoph Waltz.

Yeah, what the fuck fr34k? Lord of the Rings is fucking awesome. Inglorious Basterds is pretty damn good too.

LOTR looks amazing and Peter Jackson is a good director, I just could never get into the story at all and watching three movies for that has left me with an absurd amount of hatred for the movies.

And Inglorious Basterds is also not a bad movie, but it's easily Tarantino's worst. The only thing that stands out for me in that film is Christoph Waltz.

That's fair enough on the LOTR front, but as for Inglorious Basterds, it's easily better than Death Proof (which I liked) and Jackie Brown. And True Romance if you want to count that.

It is better than Death Proof, I forgot about that, but it's not better than the whole set-up and presentation of Grindhouse as a whole. I like Jackie Brown a lot more than Basterds though. Heavily underrated.

I couldn't get into Jackie Brown one bit, I wanted to like it but I just felt like turning it off midway through. Maybe if it wasn't a Tarintino film I wouldn't have been so disinterested, but I just went in expecting something a lot different than what I got. As for Grindhouse... I don't know, I liked both films, but I'd still rather take a quite good film that's maybe a little long on re-watching over two solid, but not great films in a row.

I liked Jackie Brown quite a bit but I wasn't really invested in it at all. At bare minimum with Basterds I was invested in a couple of the main characters, so it wins for me. My Tarantino order is probably Pulp Fiction > Reservoir Dogs (but those are a close top 2) > Kill Bill > Basterds > Jackie Brown > Death Proof. If I had to separate Kill Bill into the volumes volume two might be lower than Basterds.

My friends and I did a Lord Of The Rings marathon the other day, watching the extended editions of both Two Towers and Return Of The King and I found a whole new appreciation for them. I loved all three films when I was younger, but it'd been years since I'd watched them - and watching them all back to back made me appreciate them so much more, I think they're all excellent films. Though, the Frodo and Sam stuff does get very tedious. I think it's at it's best when Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn are on screen.

As for Basterds, I enjoy it more and more everytime I watch it. I find it hard to rank in terms of Tarantino films - but I'd put it on equal level, or just below, Kill Bill Vol 1. Waltz is fantastic and the story is so much fun. The opening scene and the first scene with the French actress are both wonderfully written. It's not as good as Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, but I enjoyed it more than I did the second Kill Bill and Jackie Brown, two films which I also really enjoyed.

I liked Jackie Brown quite a bit but I wasn't really invested in it at all. At bare minimum with Basterds I was invested in a couple of the main characters, so it wins for me. My Tarantino order is probably Pulp Fiction > Reservoir Dogs (but those are a close top 2) > Kill Bill > Basterds > Jackie Brown > Death Proof. If I had to separate Kill Bill into the volumes volume two might be lower than Basterds.

That's weird. That's my order of Tarantino films, which I hinted at in my post just above.