Wrestling Manager?

Tyrone

EDIT- I don't have a clue how copyrighting works. Did EWR and TEW need to get permission to use all of the names and likenesses?

EWR didn't because it wasn't sold - broadly speaking, it's not really relevant if it's not a commercial product. It's a grey area, but as Ryland wasn't actively profiting from it, the law would generally be in his favour, I assume.

TEW didn't use any copyrighted likenesses etc. for that reason - it's a commercial product.

Even if copyright law isn't on his side, FIFA never sued PES over the exact same issue (as far as I am aware), and they were direct competitors.

I'm not a football fan, so I don't know a whole lot about this, but at some point during the series didn't the unlicensed names change to become less obvious? "Aragon" and things like that, instead of the more obvious "Manchester Red"? I'd assumed that was after some kind of legal pressure but, as I say, I don't know enough about the specifics.

EDIT- I don't have a clue how copyrighting works. Did EWR and TEW need to get permission to use all of the names and likenesses?

EWR didn't because it wasn't sold - broadly speaking, it's not really relevant if it's not a commercial product. It's a grey area, but as Ryland wasn't actively profiting from it, the law would generally be in his favour, I assume.

TEW didn't use any copyrighted likenesses etc. for that reason - it's a commercial product.

Even if copyright law isn't on his side, FIFA never sued PES over the exact same issue (as far as I am aware), and they were direct competitors.

I'm not a football fan, so I don't know a whole lot about this, but at some point during the series didn't the unlicensed names change to become less obvious? "Aragon" and things like that, instead of the more obvious "Manchester Red"? I'd assumed that was after some kind of legal pressure but, as I say, I don't know enough about the specifics.

As I said, we'll let the legal team focus on that. If anyone has actual questions about the game I'd be happy to answer them.

There were/are some instances where players can push and get their name and likeness removed. At one point every Dutch player become some form of OrangesXXX (Oranges001, 002 etc). Then there's a similar thing in Football Manager where the Dutch and German teams became fake players, at least in their national team forms. The same players were fine everywhere else. Oliver Kahn though was fake in every form.

I will take this time to mention my favourite fake name from the PES/ISS series, Marc Overmars becoming Marc Oversaturn. Perry Mars? :pervert:

• Like 1

As I said, we'll let the legal team focus on that. If anyone has actual questions about the game I'd be happy to answer them.

Two questions, then:

1. Is said legal team fictional?

2. If the answer to number 1 is no, then why haven't you hired a better legal team?

• Like 1

So just so we clarify: you don't think it's an actual question to query into whether or not your video game MIGHT be breaching intellectual property laws? Because as somebody with a little bit of experience in the field, I think you've got some problems on your hands. Like as in, you really should actually ask a lawyer about this.

Guest JukeboxHero

Except it's a non-issue with parody being fair use and all. First everybody was whining about how this game won't see the light of day, then they whined about the screenshots, then they whined about "legal issues". Cry some more, please.

In any event, I went back to the start of the thread and started +1-ing Serious Parody's posts. Didn't know there was a limit on how many +1s you could give out a day, so I'll be back tomorrow to finish that up. Nitpicking just because is for losers. He has proven that work is being done on the game and I, for one, look forward to it.

• Like 1

So just so we clarify: you don't think it's an actual question to query into whether or not your video game MIGHT be breaching intellectual property laws? Because as somebody with a little bit of experience in the field, I think you've got some problems on your hands. Like as in, you really should actually ask a lawyer about this.

No, what he's saying is, he's the developer, any legal issues shouldn't be addressed to him.

Anyone with actual questions about the game feel free to ask. Anyone with ridiculous questions like the guy above, feel free to keep wasting your time typing but know that you'll be ignored and that I appreciate the bump to the thread. :)

Your friendly neighbourhood developer.

:)

Granted, it wasn't a question about gameplay or...I don't know...soundtracks, (largely in part because I don't anticipate this game will ever, y'know, see the light of day, but that's a different argument for a different time) but it was a legitimate question.

You keep on mentioning the "legal team" - do you actually have one, and if so, why haven't they warned you about the potential ramifications of your (pretty flagrant) misunderstanding of what constitutes a parody? If such a legal team exists, why haven't you gotten them to this thread to answer the questions that we're all posing? If you feel that you're honestly ready to face any legal challenges on the matter, why can't you explain, in plain terms, what argument you have against claims that you're breaching copyright? Why haven't you cracked open a dictionary, let alone a legal text, and figured out what the term parody means?

Like I said, I'm not going to ever give a shit about the game unless I believe that it's ever bound to get out of the starting blocks. You're not doing a great job proving that it will, and that's without dealing with any of the actual gameplay or programming. If you have a legal team (or, hell, a friend going to law school), I'd like to hear from them.

• Like 2

Except it's a non-issue with parody being fair use and all. First everybody was whining about how this game won't see the light of day, then they whined about the screenshots, then they whined about "legal issues". Cry some more, please.

In any event, I went back to the start of the thread and started +1-ing Serious Parody's posts. Didn't know there was a limit on how many +1s you could give out a day, so I'll be back tomorrow to finish that up. Nitpicking just because is for losers. He has proven that work is being done on the game and I, for one, look forward to it.

StupidJukebox.png

• Like 30

Oh shit, you plus one'd his posts? I guess that shuts up everyone raising legitimate concerns.

• Like 22

Oh shit, you plus one'd his posts? I guess that shuts up everyone raising legitimate concerns.

I just +1'd you, Sham-Sham, so it's legit to raise concerns again.

• Like 4

I just +1'd you, Sham-Sham, so it's legit to raise concerns again.

The world is saved and free speech reigns again!

• Like 2

This is genuinely the singular most stupid post I've ever read anywhere on any message board across the internet.

• Like 11