NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

Jason "The Whole World Is Racist Except Me, I Just Keep It Real" Whitlock had himself a Linsanity moment, tweeting out "Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight," and it seems the world is taking it as a racist shot at Jeremy Lin.

Would Orlando take Amare if need be?

Edit. This is probably my Rubio bias speaking but the refs did a god awful job in the Min/NY game. Just horrible calls in the second half. Especially after fucking up on the tech.

Yay for Rubio trying to single leg Chandler though.

D'Antoni makes stars out of PGs but I think a lot of that ends up coming at the expense of the team's overall ability to win. I know a lot of us compared his Suns teams to the Jazz during the early run of Malone and Stockton, before they managed to build themselves defensively in the mid-to-late 90s. The interesting thing with this Knicks team is the presence of Carmelo. D'Antoni likes to have a PG who can command a defender to play him close because of his ability to score. This opens up more plays, especially for a great shooting big man.

So what I'm saying is that with a D'Anton system, Carmelo is an accessory. He's not a centperience because the way he likes to coach treats a SF as a valuable option but the team is centered around how good the PG is and the PF/C is at shooting. Anthony is too good of a player not to make him the focal point on offense every time you have the ball.

A coaching change and a trade of Amare for D-12 (which can be done) is what would get the most out of what the Knicks have. Jeremy Lin isn't going to keep putting up numbers like this, but if he settles down to earth wth 16-17 points a game and. 8-9 asssts a game then that will put any team with Carmelo Antony and Dwight Howard a chance to win.

No D'Antoni coached team will ever win a title though. We saw what the Spurs could do to them every year in the playoffs, and in this day and age there's defenses just as strong as that in the East.

There is going to be a third team they get involved in the deal to send some youth to Orlando. Knicks unload Amare, picks, and some salary with Amare going to Orlando with a pick, the other pick and salary going to the 3rd team who will then release the players they get. 3rd team sends young players and potentially a higher pick to Orlando in exchange for a trade chip or two that they can then turn and unload on another team in exchange for youth and picks.

So basically Amare's role in the trade is much more as a temporary replacement for Howard than as the centerpiece. Orlando will really be getting picks and youth to develop over the next few years as they search for a new franchise player.

I honestly think the best thing for the Knicks would be to unload Carmelo Anthony.

Jeremy Lin is obviously on the high side of what he is capable of right now, but 17-8 with 48% shooting shouldn't be out of the question. He's an excellent pick and roll guard, and well, Amare Stoudemire is one of the best pick and roll power forwards. Trading Anthony would probably net the best return, getting back perhaps a good defensive SF, another good big and a pick or two from somewhere. I'd have to mess with the ESPN trade machine to see.

The tricky thing is that Orlando has no interest in retooling. So if they don't want Amare, they'd still need some decent players in return. I can see Houston taking a chance on someone like Amare, sending Scola and Martin to the Magic. If Orlando can dump Hedo's contract, get Scola + K-Mart + Another solid starter for Dwight Howard, I think they'd be interested.

I honestly think the best thing for the Knicks would be to unload Carmelo Anthony.

Jeremy Lin is obviously on the high side of what he is capable of right now, but 17-8 with 48% shooting shouldn't be out of the question. He's an excellent pick and roll guard, and well, Amare Stoudemire is one of the best pick and roll power forwards. Trading Anthony would probably net the best return, getting back perhaps a good defensive SF, another good big and a pick or two from somewhere. I'd have to mess with the ESPN trade machine to see.

The best thing for the Knicks is trading Stoudemire. Carmelo would get more in return, but A'mare's knees will not survive this contract. Lose him, retool with the money they could free up (or a guy like Howard) and they're in better shape in the long run since 'Melo can get his offense with or without a pick and roll PG. Stoudemire is too dependent on others to get his numbers, and I just don't trust that his body will hold up playing D'Antoni minutes.

Knicks get R. Anderson and Gasol

Orlando get 'Melo and Bynum

Lakers get Howard, Shumpert and Turkoglu.

NY trades picks to LA or also gives up some young guys on low contracts

That way Gasol takes minutes from Amare which will hopefully help his knees, they also pick up a tall outside option. The trade also works according to the trade machine.

Knicks get R. Anderson and Gasol

Orlando get 'Melo and Bynum

Lakers get Howard, Shumpert and Turkoglu.

NY trades picks to LA or also gives up some young guys on low contracts

That way Gasol takes minutes from Amare which will hopefully help his knees, they also pick up a tall outside option. The trade also works according to the trade machine.

If the Lakers trade both Gasol and Bynum, you can be damned sure they'll be shooting for a PG better than Shumpert.