NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

I really don't think the Knicks should trade Carmelo at all. If they can somehow get Howard for Amare and a few others, that would be amazing.

PG - Jeremy Lin

SG - Landry Fields

SF - Carmelo Anthony

PF - Tyson Chandler

C - Dwight Howard

That would be a sick Starting Five.

Jason "The Whole World Is Racist Except Me, I Just Keep It Real" Whitlock had himself a Linsanity moment, tweeting out "Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight," and it seems the world is taking it as a racist shot at Jeremy Lin.

Even Floyd Mayweather makes a comment about Jeremy Lin. Something about how he's only getting all this attention 'cause he's Chinese.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7572690/floyd-mayweather-says-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-spotlight-race-not-play

He can go ahead and keep talking crap like that till June, when he has to serve prison time.

I honestly think the best thing for the Knicks would be to unload Carmelo Anthony.

Jeremy Lin is obviously on the high side of what he is capable of right now, but 17-8 with 48% shooting shouldn't be out of the question. He's an excellent pick and roll guard, and well, Amare Stoudemire is one of the best pick and roll power forwards. Trading Anthony would probably net the best return, getting back perhaps a good defensive SF, another good big and a pick or two from somewhere. I'd have to mess with the ESPN trade machine to see.

The best thing for the Knicks is trading Stoudemire. Carmelo would get more in return, but A'mare's knees will not survive this contract. Lose him, retool with the money they could free up (or a guy like Howard) and they're in better shape in the long run since 'Melo can get his offense with or without a pick and roll PG. Stoudemire is too dependent on others to get his numbers, and I just don't trust that his body will hold up playing D'Antoni minutes.

There's a lot of optimism on the Knicks forums I go to, and honestly their fans should be optimistic about things finally getting better. I think it is unlikely they'll trade Stoudemeire at this point. Lin seems to be the point guard needed for Amar'e to work his offense.

I do agree that Stoudemeire's health issues seem to be overlooked right now with all the Linsanity going on.

I just heard Mayweather's comments. What a dick.

The thing about what he said is that he was technically correct. Much of Lin's attention comes from the fact that he's an Asian in largely African American dominated league. The thing that pissed me off about it is that he talks about it as if it's a bad thing. I think it's great that Lin is breaking down barriers/stereotypes and see nothing wrong with people giving him attention for it. Can we honestly say that guys like Jackie Robinson and Tiger Woods would have been as big as they were/are if they weren't black stars in sports dominated by whites? I don't think so.

Edited by HeadCheese

Nah, I'm far less impressed that he's Asian than that he was passed over by two teams, played in the D-League (all happening this season or the off-season) and has catapulted from not being the stable 12th guy to being in the top three-four most important guys on the team and making what was a mediocre season for the team into a really positive one, whilst the top 2 players are injured.

I think Amare fits the style New York wants to play more than Dwight. If Lin starts to run the pick and roll or pick and pop with Amare, with 'Melo spreading the floor from the arc, the Knicks could be sick. Amare has a much better jump shot than Howard. I think if the Knicks were going to trade someone it would be 'Melo, even though I don't think that will happen, either.

All this discussion of what works for the Knicks, what creates chemistry, blah blah blah doesn't matter because if they play a D'Antoni system they get stuck with 2nd round playoff exits against teams with strong defenses inside and on the perimeter. And then if they dump D'Antoni they wind up with a coach who can't coach the type of players they have, they decide to make hasty trades, and wind up out of the playoffs. The difference between the Suns teams that D'Antoni had the Knicks team is that in New York he has Carmelo Anthony. I know I said it before, but he has to adapt everything to being around Carmelo. That means a PG with stifling defense, a C with stifling defense, a complementary PF, and a SG that can play both ways. That will win a championship. Anything else will send the Knicks home in May every year after they lose to Chicago or Miami.

Nah, I'm far less impressed that he's Asian than that he was passed over by two teams, played in the D-League (all happening this season or the off-season) and has catapulted from not being the stable 12th guy to being in the top three-four most important guys on the team and making what was a mediocre season for the team into a really positive one, whilst the top 2 players are injured.

Bingo. I agree with this 1000%. Those are the things I'm impressed with, not the color of his skin.

His game winning shot today was incredible. He really took over that game in the last few minutes. Also, Shumpert's defense was clutch.

All this discussion of what works for the Knicks, what creates chemistry, blah blah blah doesn't matter because if they play a D'Antoni system they get stuck with 2nd round playoff exits against teams with strong defenses inside and on the perimeter. And then if they dump D'Antoni they wind up with a coach who can't coach the type of players they have, they decide to make hasty trades, and wind up out of the playoffs. The difference between the Suns teams that D'Antoni had the Knicks team is that in New York he has Carmelo Anthony. I know I said it before, but he has to adapt everything to being around Carmelo. That means a PG with stifling defense, a C with stifling defense, a complementary PF, and a SG that can play both ways. That will win a championship. Anything else will send the Knicks home in May every year after they lose to Chicago or Miami.

They pretty much had all those things in Denver and Melo went nowhere.

They pretty much had all those things in Denver and Melo went nowhere.

Are you talking about the year where they went to the Western Conference Finals? The following year's team was just as good at the top but missing some depth compared the 08-09 squad and they were upset in the first round by Utah, who fittingly also had a guy quit on them in late 2010, early 2011.

I know the Kings aren't a great team, but the Knicks really blew them out. Lin had another double double and the team really meshed well together. The Knicks look like they really have some depth, too. If they start playing better defense and keep playing with chemistry, I really think they can compete with Miami and Chicago at the top of the Eastern Conference.

I know the Kings aren't a great team, but the Knicks really blew them out. Lin had another double double and the team really meshed well together. The Knicks look like they really have some depth, too. If they start playing better defense and keep playing with chemistry, I really think they can compete with Miami and Chicago at the top of the Eastern Conference.