Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

TCO

Hey, Resistance 3 is good too! :shifty:

First hour spoilers;

Playing as young Drake was fantastic. I love the over the top action, particularly the scene on the rooftop where tapping X as he was sliding down sent him flying through a window opposite. Seeing how he first met Sully as excellent too.

My nephew said ''I reckon Sully will die in this one.'' - bloody hope not... :(

Amazing graphics and the sound is fucking phenomenal. I have Blu-Rays with much worse sound. I need to clean myself. I'm embarrassed at how much trouble I have had with some of the puzzles, I look in his notebook without realising there are also hints in the room. Actually I'm lying, all of the puzzles have caused some confusion. I think I'm special needs :blush:

I was incredibly glad to find myself (Chapter 12ish spoilers)...

... in the ship graveyard. Aside from the young Drake scenes, it all was starting to feel very samey with each level. I reached the ship graveyard and was blown away by how fun it was. Finished just after getting on the cruiseship and getting sick of being rocket launchered in the piano/dining room.

Can't wait to pick it up again tonight.

In regards to Benji's spoiler, it's not even that long, and I for one REALLY enjoyed it. Reasons why:

It really made me connect a lot more to Drake, I understand that perhaps you didn't get that same feeling of hopelessness that I did while controlling Drake all alone in the desert, but I for one loved it.

I already finished the game on Tuesday as I streamed it in one sitting, so far it's my GOTY alongside Portal. Just a fantastic game.

Can we pretty please put the chapter before the spoilers. I really want to discuss bits I've done and to see if anyone else has felt the same, at the same time I don't want to spoil bits I haven't done yet or spoil them for other people. Otherwise we will all be talking about the same thing and never realise :shifty:

Chapter 14&15

Took me like ten goes to kill the cunt who just wouldn't die. I think in the end the game felt sorry for me and he dropped dead out of pity. What a silly thing to put in. Really, really enjoying it. Loved the Marco bit.

Whilst the game so far to me feels like more of the same, it feels like more of the same if it had been so highly polished as to be near perfect (still some bullet sponge issues and would really like it in 60FPS). I'm amazed by what they have achieved out of the hardware. I never end up replaying any of the games from this series which is weird as I dearly love them whilst I'm playing them. At the same time though it feels like I'm interacting with an action movie. Even if it only takes me 6-10 hours to complete I'll feel like I got every single dollars worth, far different to games that take 40 hours to complete and it ends up feeling like a job (and I'm a quitter so never make it past 20 anyway). Naughty Dog really know how to make a short game that's worth every penny. I really can't see why you wouldn't get them to write the script for the movie since each game has basically been better than anything I've seen in the genre in ages.

Anyone not playing this is missing a real treat. If you haven't played 1 or 2 you won't get all of the back story between characters, but I still think it would make perfect sense. Just a fucking epic game. I still struggle with the puzzles though. But it's in a good way, I get stuck then just when I feel like getting annoyed I find the answer. It's the perfect balance between making you earn it and making you feel like you're working for it.

Shit would need to seriously fuck up for me to not have this as game of the year based on what I've played. I'm trying to stretch it out for as long as possible.

Regarding the end ...

A little lacking I think. Didn't have a boss battle like Uncharted 2 did, except for the fight with Talbot which didn't have the same effect.

But, it isn't the destination, it is the journey. There were so many awesome levels throughout this game that made up for the ending. Amongst them, escaping the sinking ship and the burning tower are two of my favourite levels of Uncharted of all three games. On the whole though, I much preferred Uncharted 2.

In regards to Benji's spoiler, it's not even that long, and I for one REALLY enjoyed it. Reasons why:

It really made me connect a lot more to Drake, I understand that perhaps you didn't get that same feeling of hopelessness that I did while controlling Drake all alone in the desert, but I for one loved it.

I already finished the game on Tuesday as I streamed it in one sitting, so far it's my GOTY alongside Portal. Just a fantastic game.

I understood what they were trying to do, but it had no sense of enjoyment or connection to me, if just felt like padding.

On the plus side, the horse chase scene a little while after it? Fucking wonderful.

I'm still holding off on this for the sake of my chances of actually finishing Arkham City. It was fucking tempting on Wednesday though, the only thing stopping me was the insane €54.99 pricetag in Game.

Still though, with Assasain's Creed out so soon too, I think I made the right call.

Chapter 21 (I think) spoiler...

Oh man, just completed it. The Sully death was just... outstanding. It felt like the entire game had built to his death, so to find out he's alive and well was pretty much the perfect way to fake a death in a video game, much better than the played out way they did Elena's in Among Thieves. Loved the final battle, I disliked the generic "RAR! STRONG BOSS!" end of the second (which was the only negative I had in that entire game) and adored the way this one used the method of the first game's final boss, but made it less "try, fuck up, repeat until you've figured out the pattern".

Been busy since I got the game but I've managed to make it to Chapter 9 so far, the game is a blast. Takes all the good parts of the first 2, cleans them up, and improves where it was needed. Only real complaint is I've had a bit of trouble rotating the camera in close quarters.

There are more sloppy movement control issues than before and Sully keeps getting in my way. However the fighting feels more frenetic and I'm doing a lot more hand to hand brawling than previous games. The moves you can pull off are great, like pulling the pin out of their grenade.