Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

TCO

I think the idea is to sell it that he's now too far in himself and almost cocky. All of the other characters at one stage or another show trepidation and wonder the point of this adventure (not really spoilers as it starts fairly early on. To me it was as if Drake had gone from needing to be in these positions to wanting to prove that he's the best around. Sort of like an arrogance/hubris thing.

See, that I would have liked, but to be honest, outside of that desert scene (which I hated), it never really felt like he was truly in peril. I suppose you could say that it did happen when... MAJOR SPOILERS (seriously, don't click unless you've practically finished the game, like on the final chapter or two).

... Sully dies, but since that turned out to be a hallucination, it doesn't have any lasting impact.

I think the idea is to sell it that he's now too far in himself and almost cocky. All of the other characters at one stage or another show trepidation and wonder the point of this adventure (not really spoilers as it starts fairly early on. To me it was as if Drake had gone from needing to be in these positions to wanting to prove that he's the best around. Sort of like an arrogance/hubris thing.

See, that I would have liked, but to be honest, outside of that desert scene (which I hated), it never really felt like he was truly in peril. I suppose you could say that it did happen when... MAJOR SPOILERS (seriously, don't click unless you've practically finished the game, like on the final chapter or two).

... Sully dies, but since that turned out to be a hallucination, it doesn't have any lasting impact.

I totally agree they didn't make a big enough deal out of it.

Major spoilers

Also what was the go with Drake not really being his surname. It was like they were going to make something huge of his ancestry being part of the story and was basically the reason for the flashback to childhood but unless I missed it it just totally got dropped. But I think it was about him proving he could succeed where Drake failed

I totally agree they didn't make a big enough deal out of it.

Major spoilers

Also what was the go with Drake not really being his surname. It was like they were going to make something huge of his ancestry being part of the story and was basically the reason for the flashback to childhood but unless I missed it it just totally got dropped. But I think it was about him proving he could succeed where Drake failed

I'm not entirely sure myself. They made the point that he was raised in an orphanage named after Drake, so maybe it was supposed to play into the heritage theme. Nate isn't a a genetic descendant of Drake just like he isn't of Sully, but he carries the spirit of both of them. That's what I took away from it.

I'm up to chapter 19 and just a few words on a couple of the big set pieces....

Sinking ship was a total disappointment. It did remind me of Poseidon though with the big ballroom. I thought the Tomb Raider ship sinking a few years ago was more exciting and scary.

Plane crash on the other hand was brilliant. The camera was great, the blurring and shaking brilliant and everything going wrong over the vastness of the desert was pretty iconic. Also, falling and crashing into the supply crate was just mind blowing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this recently.

END OF GAME SPOILERS

I thought the set pieces were incredible. Not so much as because of their size but because of their function. Having the ship rock back and forth according to the movement of the ways gave it a great realistic touch. My only complaint probably mirror's everyone else. I wanted more destruction. I wanted holes in the ship as we had to fight to the top deck as it sink, etc. The mansion catching fire was a great set for me that kept me entertained thoroughly. The game made good advances still over the previous two titles. I loved being the underdog instead of knowing "ahhh heck it's Nathan Drake we'll find our way out." The moment that really drove that home was when "Sully died", my jaw was left open for a full minute. Great game can't wait for the next.

Edited by Captain Eo

What the FUCK is up with this game when you play split-screen? Anyone tried it? For some reason, you both get a quarter of the screen, while the other half is eaten up by the 'emblem' that represents you. It's hard enough to see things as it is... - any way to play half and half without the huge emblems in the way? I clicked remove emblem, but all it did was put a black screen in its place. It really is off-putting. :/

• 1 month later...

What the FUCK is up with this game when you play split-screen? Anyone tried it? For some reason, you both get a quarter of the screen, while the other half is eaten up by the 'emblem' that represents you. It's hard enough to see things as it is... - any way to play half and half without the huge emblems in the way? I clicked remove emblem, but all it did was put a black screen in its place. It really is off-putting. :/

Pretty late reply but is this the same annoying split screen that RE4 had? If so the only "solution" I ever found was to lower my resolution from 1080 or 720 to something SD.

• 1 month later...

So i picked this up. Have to say its my fav so far. Sure it plays like the other two but hows that a bad thing? The variety of scenes and fun puzzles combined with a team thats really great... beats even uncharted 2 for me. Still give twos first 30 min as best uncharted though.

Five stars.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished this today.

Was a bit disappointed, I left it for ages when Skyrim came out and only just went back to it last night and it seems like I was about one level away from finished anyway. So I pretty much forgot most of the story and stuff, left me pretty underwhelmed. I won't go into the story cos the stuff I'm not happy with were probably explained and I just didnt pay attention but the end didn't grip me as much as the previous games did.

Looking back on it it seems like it was just a series of near identical setpieces, which I get is sort of the appeal but it feels less interesting than the other installments. The whole game felt like :

Lets climb up this big tower and solve this big puzzle. Oh wow the bad guys were here before me! And now the building is on fire, lets escape! Phew. Lets go on this big boat, and oh no theres tons of bad guys waiting for me and its sinking, lets escape! Phew, now I'm on a plane, and its crashing, lets escape! Phew now I'm in a hidden desert city but somehow the bad guys were here before me and it's caving in, lets escape!

I don't know if it's a lack of creativity or if the previous games just covered it up better but it just felt like treading old ground. I loved the game, its still the amazing, beautiful adrenaline rush that Uncharted is all about, it just seems like it's getting a bit samey and needs a bit of a shake-up.

Will be going through again to mop up on treasures/trophies and try to follow the story better. To that end, anyone feel like doing a co-op campaign tonight maybe around ten/eleven?

• 1 year later...

I recently decided to restart the Uncharted series and so far have beaten 1 and 2 (planning on beating the stories first and then going back to do all the treasure hunting afterwards). I forgot how much the combat progressed as the series went on and how not so annoying trying to climb is in 3 as compared to 1. Though, I'm still pretty sure UC2 has my favorite story, but 3 has the origin stuff so at times it gets really close to overthrowing it.

I'm also wanting to jump onto multiplayer at sometime, and figured I might see if anyone else here is still playing it or wants to do some trophy hunting.