Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

TCO

Just finished it. Am over the series now. Still my game of the year so far and still the only series I own where I have completed every game from it. But I think it's time for it to take a break. They've come close to perfecting it and the only way to improve it would be to remove loads of the enemy encounters which would make it too much like a movie or to make you work for things that are currently easy. I also don't want a morality system in play.

Maybe bring it back next gen for a game or two if the hardware allows for something amazing.

Now I'm off to play Deus Ex which lots of people are also touting as a GOTY contender.

Just finished it. Am over the series now. Still my game of the year so far and still the only series I own where I have completed every game from it. But I think it's time for it to take a break. They've come close to perfecting it and the only way to improve it would be to remove loads of the enemy encounters which would make it too much like a movie or to make you work for things that are currently easy. I also don't want a morality system in play.

Maybe bring it back next gen for a game or two if the hardware allows for something amazing.

Now I'm off to play Deus Ex which lots of people are also touting as a GOTY contender.

Deus Ex was awesome if you didn't play the original. Everyone that played the original seemed to like it but found they were disappointed it wasn't as insanely open as the first one. Also the boss fights are a bit of a letdown. Also get the Typhoon augment! You'll understand why when you reach any boss fight other than the first. >_>

And yeah, I think I'm over Uncharted too. I actually just hope I can bring myself to finish this one once Skyrim arrives.

I've been more excited about immersing myself in the Deus Ex world than Uncharted.Thing is, my Deus Ex is Japanese so while the in-game speaking is in English and control explanations are in English, all the text is in Japanese...and I'm just hitting sections where conversation choices are important and translating (with dictionary, computer etc) just takes too long.

So I need to get the English version....but now I'm focussed on ONLY Skyrim for the next 6 months or so (if Oblivion is anything to go by).

I loved it, as I said it's my GOTY easily thus far. I enjoyed nearly every moment. It just felt like number 2 in a different setting to a large degree. This was Uncharted 2 with slightly prettier graphics and a stronger story for the first half. But there was nothing new, game play, control or mechanics wise or anything ground breaking or at all different. It's like complaining that an excellent movie series is too similar to a degree, but at the end of the day it's beginning to feel like one big game in instalments rather than three distinct games with returning characters.

That's my problem with the game. For some reason I play it like a survival horror game and never use the grenades and am really tight with ammo. So I find myself always spending ages making sure I'm going to be accurate and at least hit the target. For some reason in my head I think ammo is scarce in the game but I don't think I ran out once for the play through. I'd occasionally get a bit short, but there would always be ammo or a better gun laying about. Perhaps ammo was in shorter supply in one of the other games in the series which conditioned me to it feeling that way?

I'm the opposite, I generally find myself torn over what gun to use after the mooks I've defeated have dropped some, since you get trophies for using different ones so I'm pretty trigger happy.

Saying that, is it just me or is the difficulty in this one ramped up way over 11? I've got platinum trophies on both the first two games, so I've done both on Crushing difficulty with no real problems but holy fuck have I been rage dumping at several places in this one. It just seems like theres a million more bad guys at the one time, whereas the first games would throw them at you in waves. I might be wrong but theres been plenty of times where I've felt like wow I only just barely scraped through there, how the fuck am I going to manage it on Crushing?

I was like that but the patch seems to have helped a lot as far as my aiming goes (which is odd as I couldn't make sense of the complaints until the patch came out). I still think I would struggle on anything harder than normal. But I think I could achieve it. Most the the issues I had first run through was more in regards to working out the puzzles. There was only one set of enemies I really struggled with and made me take a break lest I kung fu kick the console, my dog or the television:

the guy on the ship with the big gun, I still can't work out how I killed him as he seemed to be bullet-proof. I initially thought I was going to end up needing to crush him with the shipping container that was sliding back and forth

Other than that I found it far less rage inducing

especially the lack of mega-powerful end boss

Jesus Christ. You know you swear too much when your brain makes you type shit instinctively instead of ship.

So far I am thinking Uncharted 2 has had the best most epic story, even though I preferred the end battle of Uncharted 1. The third game is more of the same which is awesome but I find it hard to get involved, a lot of the humour seems to have been removed and it's like it seems [mid game spoilers I suppose, just musings on the story so far]

It seems like there isn't really any real reason for Nathan to go on this quest. I might have missed something but I don't really know why they're doing it, other than the fact that the mad woman wants to find the lost city of the sands, and Nathan wants to stop her. I don't know if it's intended though, so far I've seen Sully ask Nathan to give up, and then Elena told him he has gotten to a point where the mad woman can't do anything without him, so he has won and should just stop, but for whatever reason, Drake is determined to go on. In Uncharted 1 he wanted to find out about Francis Drake's treasure and stuff and got dragged into the weird stuff by Navarro and co. In Uncharted 2 Flynn had to convince him to get involved, and then turned on him. I don't really know whats driving him in this one.

The weird stuff with er, Talbot, is it? Like him disappearing into nothingness, getting shot and then appearing immediately after in perfectly fine condition, using hypnosis drugs and that, it's all a bit too silly. The zombies were cursed in the first game, and the ancient guys in the second were using the tree of life to get super powers, fair enough but for once it seems TOO supernatural, if thats possible >_> I'm assuming theres a perfectly good reason for it later, but eh. I just don't get the point to be honest, hopefully I've missed something that helps in later replays.

Don't worry Kaney.

It does make more sense later. I struggled with Drake's motivation too, but the way I figured it was that if he didn't bother to see this whole thing out, Talbot and accomplices would be forever hunting them and trying to get to this secret, whereas if he went in to do it, then he could at least get some semblance of a head start on them getting to whatever horror they might encounter.

I think the idea is to sell it that he's now too far in himself and almost cocky. All of the other characters at one stage or another show trepidation and wonder the point of this adventure (not really spoilers as it starts fairly early on. To me it was as if Drake had gone from needing to be in these positions to wanting to prove that he's the best around. Sort of like an arrogance/hubris thing.