Mo Farah

Amir Khan

Andy Murray

Darren Clarke

Luke Donald

Dai Greene

Rory McIlroy

Andrew Strauss

So yeah, queue posts by Hammy explaining why Cavendish should win, even though no-one could care less about cycling.

I'd go with Luke Donald, Rory McIllroy or Mo Farah. Anything so that Cavendish doesn't win :shifty:

Can't look beyond Cavendish.

To be honest, although they are in lesser cared for sports, there have been people who have performed pretty impressively in their given sport. Winning a Major in Golf is arguably as impressive as what Cavendish did. For those reasons, and the NI vote, I could see McIllroy winning it.

Can't look beyond Cavendish.

To be honest, although they are in lesser cared for sports, there have been people who have performed pretty impressively in their given sport. Winning a Major in Golf is arguably as impressive as what Cavendish did. For those reasons, and the NI vote, I could see McIllroy winning it.

Gotta agree with Liam, I'd place my money on Rory to win this years. And so much was made about him in the papers that he seems the easy choice. Had Murray won anything of note he would probably have got it, for all the fuss that was made about him.

Guest mr. potato head

I had to look up a few of those names but, on the whole, I really, really prefer the types of athlete the UK celebrates in this way to what you'd see in a similar poll in the US or Canada.

Yeah, I'm not sure who draws the shortlist up, but the public only gets to vote once it has been drawn up, otherwise it'd just be 10 footballers who've acheived nothing this year.

Yeah, I'm not sure who draws the shortlist up, but the public only gets to vote once it has been drawn up, otherwise it'd just be 10 footballers who've acheived nothing this year.

I'm assuming it is one of those things where it involves sports writers and that.