2011-12 MLB Offseason Thread

Lowerdeck

Chipper Jones is openly mulling retirement, as well he should (not saying that out of disrespect, just saying it is legitimately his time.) Makes Atlanta's signing of Josh Wilson much more prudent than initially though, as he and Prado (when not in left) can platoon second & third as needed. Wilson & Hicks finally flesh out shortstop, but this lineup will fall on McCann and Heyward's shoulders. Forgive me for being a bit uneasy about Los Bravos.

Chipper Jones is openly mulling retirement, as well he should (not saying that out of disrespect, just saying it is legitimately his time.) Makes Atlanta's signing of Josh Wilson much more prudent than initially though, as he and Prado (when not in left) can platoon second & third as needed. Wilson & Hicks finally flesh out shortstop, but this lineup will fall on McCann and Heyward's shoulders. Forgive me for being a bit uneasy about Los Bravos.

I prefer to look ahead to Bourn being a madman on the basepaths and Dan Uggla hitting a lot more like his second half (.301/.386/.596) than his first half (.173/.241/.327).

If anyone from that bionic Philly rotation goes down, I feel like the Braves can pounce.

I prefer to look ahead to Bourn being a madman on the basepaths and Dan Uggla hitting a lot more like his second half (.301/.386/.596) than his first half (.173/.241/.327).

If anyone from that bionic Philly rotation goes down, I feel like the Braves can pounce.

That's my hope, too, but a lot of this lineup still seems like hype. Heyward needs to be more consistent, while I was shocked at how paltry Uggla's numbers were in the first half. I do feel like Bourn could be the second coming of Marquis Grissom on the bases. Fingers crossed.

Braves and Marlins both have fighting chances if Philly's rotation gets banged up. That lineup, and especially that infield, is a far cry from what it was in 08 and 09.

So could the Nats, I think. The whole NL East should be pretty competitive.

As soon as it disavows any knowledge of the lolMets' existence, that is.

Chipper will get into the HOF within 3 years of his eligibility.

Assuming he doesn't completely tank this year, he'll have a .300/.400/.500+ slash line with at least 2,600 hits, 500 doubles, 450 HR, 1,500 runs and 1,500 RBI. He's in the top 50 all time in BB, 2B, HR, TB, RBI and SLG% and in the top 100 in hits, runs & OBP. He played for one team his entire career and as far as I know has no steroid taint. Given his contemporaries, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get in on the first ballot.

Edited by naiwf

He'll go first ballot. Mantle and Murray are the only two switch hitters with more home runs than him. A 19 year career on the same team, an MVP award, a World Series title, 7 all star appearances, the face of a franchise and a guy who's never been linked to steroids. They will be insane not to put him in first ballot, especially since they'll be in the midst of steroid era players from now until he's eligible. If Chipper Jones can't get in first ballot, then they seriously need to re-evaluate how they decide who goes in.