2011-12 MLB Offseason Thread

Lowerdeck

So I figure I create this thread, as we got a while till the next year starts.

Speaking of next year - Bobby V got hired on by the Red Sox. Apparently some of the local drunken, video game playing, Popeye's chicken eating pitchers aren't too happy about this one.

Oh, and while watching the news on this - they mentioned Bobby V is getting #25. Why in the world do managers and coaches get uniforms and jersey numbers like the players? I can understand if we had player-coaches or player-managers, like back in the old days. But if you're not playing, don't get a number and a uniform.

And the Cubs decided it was a good idea to give David DeJesus $5M a year. Oh, and I remember Theo wanting this guy while he was in Boston.

Have fun Cubs fans...

I don't know how other Yankee fans feel about this, but I was kind of disappointed to see them resign Freddy Garcia. I just can't see them getting past teams like Texas or Boston in the playoffs next year with their current rotation. Yankee fans like to say CC can match up with any other ace, but in the postseason he hasn't stepped up in a while. After that he has nobody to bail him out. I don't really have faith in Nova yet, Phil Hughes could be really good or really bad for all we know right now, and AJ Burnett...no need to get into that.

Freddy Garcia is fine, he's a serviceable guy, but that's not what the Yankees need. In big playoff games Freddy will get out weak-average hitters, but good-great hitters will abuse him. That's why I'm really hoping they add another arm, whether it be Buehrle or Oswalt. I understand there's a nice crop of ace arms coming out next year (Matt Cain/Cole Hamels and others), but the Yankees are always a "win now" team, and I just don't see how this rotation would be able to get done.

I'm also very aware of the backlash from fans of the other 29 teams coming my way now lol.

It's been a dreadfully boring off-season for the Mets, and I'm expecting it to stay that way for the most part. I'd be thrilled if they can bring back Reyes, but I still think the Marlins will wind up opening their wallets and outbidding the Mets if need be.

They'll probably wind up with Francisco Cordero, and possibly a guy like Jon Rauch as well. But that's about it.

I'm one of the few Yankee & Met fans. I grew up a Yankee fan and also in recent years started rooting for the Mets. Personally, I've always thought their lineup was good enough to win in the National League although without Reyes its a completely different story. But, if they were to resign Reyes and then add a solid hitter at 2B or C then I think their lineup is fine once again.

Their biggest problem is obviously with the staff. I don't know how many years away Wheeler is from joining the rotation but hopefully it's soon. If the Mets are serious about contending now (which I don't know if they are) I think they should try to get one more decent arm. Even Edwin Jackson could be a suitable guy for the second spot in the rotation. Santana-Jackson-Pelfrey-Neise-Dickey-Wheeler seems like a rotation that could definitely make the season interesting.

I don't see the Mets signing a starting pitcher this offseason, unless it's a non-guaranteed ST invite. I'd be rather surprised if the Opening Day rotation isn't Santana, Dickey, Niese, Pelfrey, Gee - possibly in that order. Wheeler hasn't pitched above Single A, so he won't be ready until late 2013 at the absolute earliest.

Matt Harvey, on the other hand, I could see in the rotation in late 2012 and a member of the Opening Day rotation in 2013. Also don't forget about Jenrry Mejia, who won't start pitching again til May or so. IIRC, optioning Mejia at any point this year means he is out of options and has to be on the Opening Day pitching staff for 2013 whether he's ready or not. More proof that throwing him in the 2010 bullpen was a stupid, desperate decision by Manuel and Minaya.

Every rational Mets fan knows this was going to happen, and it's for the better. That is too much for Reyes.

But still........FUCK. I loved that guy. :(

I rarely get a jersey for someone who doesn't play for one of my teams but Reyes was one of those guys. I love the way he plays the game. I wanted the Angels to go after him.

As for whoever asked about Wheeler and Harvey earlier I don't think they were expected to be at the MLB level before 2013.

Edited by sahyder1

The more I listen to Alderson, the more I think he's just a Wilpon yes-man who is only in his current job because Selig pretty much told him to. Just watching his explanation it became abundantly clear that the Mets never truly intended on bringing back Reyes. What a colossal fuckup to not trade him in June/July.

I feel sick to my stomach hearing Alderson say over and over again that the Madoff situation would have no impact on his ability to run the team. Its already been disproven. If they thought losing $70 million this year was bad, wait til next year when the stands are empty.

Again, I'm not saying they should have given Reyes 6 years. But the fact that they didn't even make an offer for him and Reyes' camp didn't approach the Mets like they said they would makes me sick.

I don't believe anything that gets reported about "player X leaning towards team Y" or "team Y is heavily in on player X" because it's almost always a ploy planted by an agent. The Jays are particularly susceptible to this because they have a policy of never commenting on transaction rumours. As a result an agent can tell a reporter that a player is about to get a massive offer from the Blue Jays to drive up his bargaining price with everyone else. And in this case we're talking about Scott Boras, so it's even more sketchy. Not to say I completely count the Jays out on Prince; realistically I think only the Rangers make more sense (and even that's debatable given that they really need to do something about the fact that they're about to lose their second consecutive #1 starter in as many years). But the Jays came 5th in the AL in runs scored, and were 4th worst when it came to runs allowed. Run prevention would seem to be their biggest area of need.

The Mets did to their fanbase with Reyes what the Orioles did when they let Mussina go. Get ready for empty stands all the time.

I don't see Prince going to Toronto, almost definitely an agent ploy to get the teams actually interested to up their offers. I still think he winds up in DC.