2011-12 MLB Offseason Thread

Lowerdeck

Well at least you know the Mets won't be blowing any wins this year!

It's funny because those two combined for 9 of the Jays 25 blown saves last year.

Why don't they just have Reyes change positions?

Because Hanley is a bad shortstop. And has always been a bad shortstop.

I'm a Yankee fan, but in recent years I've come to really take a liking to the Mets as well. What do you guys think of a swap between the two teams for Johan.

It just doesn't seem like the Mets are realistically built to win now, and the Yankees can give them some young chips. The Yankees have a few good catching prospects, a position the Mets seem to have a need for, as well as good pitching prospects. I doubt Mets fans would like it, but I think it would make sense.

As an Angels fan I like the Pujols signing but not completely sold on the Wilson move. Definitely like it a lot better in the 77.5 million price range then the 100+ that was originally being reported he would go for but I would have liked them making a play for Reyes instead. Yes in 4-5 years it probably will seem like too much money but at the time he will be reaching in to the upper echelon of HR numbers. If nothing with him and PED comes out (which I have always suspected that it might) the marketing they would get from him alone would be worth the money.

Wow! The Angels have just turned themselves into big-time favorites in the AL. Haren-Weaver-CJ Wilson is a great start to a rotation. Then they have Pujols batting around guys like Hunter, Mark Trumbo, and others. That's a great team.

Don't forget Santana either.

Edited by sahyder1

Bad job by the so called "best fans in baseball". Many of them are calling for Pujols to never have his number retired, never have a statue next to Musial, etc. and they act as though he stabbed St. Louis in the back. How quickly they forget that Pujols put up 11 amazing years with 3 MVP Awards and 2 World Series titles. I'd like to see any of them turn down a quarter of a billion dollars. It's not like he's moving to LA for just an extra $2-3 million...the $34 million difference is significant.

Everybody seems to think Pujols is going to be garbage halfway through his contract, but I'm not sold on that notion. I wouldn't be shocked if he has another 7-8 excellent years in him. Hank Aaron didn't start trailing off until 40, and I can see Pujols being of that same general mold. The guy just can flat out hit.

The bigger question for me is not when Pujols will start trailing off but at what point does LA consider unloading him for a slew of prospects? His value presumably could still be high in 6 years and if that's the case, and obviously if LA is aging as they likely will be at that time, do you call the Yankees or Sox about taking him for the last couple of productive years he'll have in exchange for security at multiple positions for the next decade?

And in a couple of years St. Louis fans won't be so bitter about Pujols leaving. They've got Holliday to build around now and when it comes time for him to retire the Cardinals will put his number next to Musial.