EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2011: The Results

GoGo Yubari

It's Always Sunny should've been in the top three - really great stuff coming out of this year. I am shocked by the consistent quality of that damn show, it just picks up steam year after year after year.

It's Always Sunny hasn't been anywhere near the level of Community and Parks and Rec for me in a long time. I like the show, but it's definitely starting to suffer from being a show that's kind of supposed to be shock humor. Like, "Oh my god, these people are so awful, it's hilarious!"

See - this is all that I see whenever people criticize the show, and it just doesn't hold up to me in the least. At this point, I don't even think you can call it shock humor - it certainly was a huge appeal of the show in the beginning, and they've been going further and further with it in recent years (especially this season) but that's just the way that the show is now. Especially if you've watched it before - they're masters of the art of the callback joke, and adding dimensions to each and every character. That doesn't just apply to the main cast either. Most shows have a hard time keeping the tertiary characters fresh and interesting and that is certainly something that Sunny does. Not to mention their excellent use of guests.

Parks and Rec I admit to being a huge fan of - but these days I only find guaranteed hilarity in anything to do with Ron Swanson. I chalk that up to being something of a lull before it comes back big for me, much like The Office did for a while.

Community I could never really get into. Not a huge fan of the cast aside from Chase.

So with the top two being two shows I'd never seen before, I decided to get hold of them and give them a try. Five episodes into the first season of Community and I really like it. Tried and struggled with Parks and Rec though. I may try to force myself to watch more of it, but I've got a feeling it's a show that will probably bore me or just not be my cup of tea, but I could be very wrong.

With Community looking like a really good show, I'd say a good top three (The Walking Dead is obviously top notch). Shame Dexter isn't higher as well as a few others. I'd have put The Big Bang Theory near the top of my list after watching through every season over the Christmas period, easily the best comedy on television for me.

And I keep up my streak of not having seen anything in the top however fucking many. I kind of sort of want to watch Game Of Thrones, but I'm a little iffy on fantasy stuff, so I'd either love it or be bored to tears. All I know about Breaking Bad is that I saw the DVD in HMV with a sticker saying "More realistic than Dexter!", which is like saying "less geese than The Wire!" in terms of selling something to me at all. I'd bloody hope it's more realistic than fucking Dexter, whatever it is.

I kind of want to watch Community. I know nothing about it apart from that it features Inspector Spacetime. That's Community, right?

Oh, who am I kidding, I'll never watch it anyway.