New X-Com Game

Herr Matzat

Well, Operation Defiant Rain did not go well...

Didn't know what the mission was, but went in with two mechs and one of every other class. I have the rookie to squaddie promotion, and took two squaddies (like I do on every mission) for experience and to be cannon fodder if need be. Whelp, two turns in and a zombie wallops a squaddie, which means Chrysalids. Managed to be mostly okay, but lost a second squaddie at the shark after a chrysalid burst out. Got to the whale, and things went wrong. Flicked the trigger and the bastard chrysalids came in swarms - the one who flicked the switch was sacrificed, a sniper of mid-level experience so down to three (I have six members ability). Whilst trying to escape with my non-mech character, one of my mechs went down to a threesome of chrysalids who all survived a flamethrower swarm, but it allowed my other mech and my most experienced character to escape with their lives intact.

I fucking hate whales now. Blow the whales up.

I always assumed the idea is that they're withdrawing their money/weapons/soldiers to protect their own country, because in their view, XCOM left them to fend for themselves whilst helping the other countries.

But yeah, worst aspect of the game. Always hoped they'd allow an option to turn it off, so you could play for as long as you want.

I always felt a little weird when a country of whom I have a number of soldiers from withdraws from XCom. I mean you'd think the soldiers know the importance of the organization that they are fighting and dieing for but at the same time you'd think that their country needs them and they'd want to go defend their country.

How the hell do you do the base invasion mission? I tried last night and I was just totally swarmed by Cyberdiscs, Mutons, Chrysalids and the mech Sectopods. I managed to survive to the last wave, but there were so many left that I never stood a chance, not to mention that I barely got any reinforcements worth mentioning :(

I nearly lost a soldier. He was bleeding out and there were seemingly no enemies left. Turns out there was a floater on 1 health that was at the other end of the map and it hadn't moved. An assault soldier just got it in time and the mission ended just before the bleeder did. :P

How the hell do you do the base invasion mission? I tried last night and I was just totally swarmed by Cyberdiscs, Mutons, Chrysalids and the mech Sectopods. I managed to survive to the last wave, but there were so many left that I never stood a chance, not to mention that I barely got any reinforcements worth mentioning :(

Go very slowly through it. Eliminate each enemy group you find before moving on and potentially discovering a new one.