New X-Com Game

Herr Matzat

I will again shill for training roulette - once you get through the game, replaying it with training roulette makes it that much more unique. Your soldiers...you may never roll another run and gun mobile sniper! Dem feels!

The token Aussie who I named after myself, was a support class soldier.

Had ZERO medical ability thanks to training roulette. :P

I love the fact that I've got snipers with revive, heavys with savior, and assaults with field medic, while my most experienced support soldier has no medical abilities at all at Col level :P

Edited by The Rabbitman

Enemy Within spoilers, Newfoundland mission..

How hard could it be? I thought, it's Newfoundland. That mission stopped being about winning and more about surviving. Fuckin' Chryssalids. So basically they're hatching out of sharks, there's a few zombies - it's manageable. Then we found the ship that got tore up, with a whale carcass in the hull - full of those fucking things. Someone had to run upstairs and activate the beacon so they could airstrike this thing.

The rest took up positions around the whale carcass, while assault Squaddie Bonnie Warren ran upstairs to activate it. The rest of the squad, being much more experienced, were having an easy time of it at first, one or two of them - the five of them took them out without issue. However.. ammo started to become an issue, as did lack of rockets and grenades. Then two a time turned to three a time and we had to start getting out of the ship.

The beacon was activated and Warren scaled down the ship onto the outside, where she met two of the others who were holding our entrance/exit. The rest of the squad started sprinting out - we had a pick up point and we had to make it.

The three holding the door took a final round of shots and took out of the bastards - another two hatched. All six started dashing as far as they could away from the enemy and towards out evac point.

It was tight at the docks, and they were close as hell - at one point of them caught up with Pox, our Italian Support, and poisoned him. He took a shot with his last clip, but the thing didn't die.

It was a survival mission - so three of the team were told to keep running, as far as they could. Warren, with her shotgun, took the time to finish off the Chryssalid - and honestly save Pox's life. Pox and the other squad member sprinted away - as three of them closed in on Warren. Pox wanted to turn back, return the favour - but it was clear it was over. One of them poisoned her, and another turned her into a kebab, splicing it's claw through her abdomen. She was gone.

Our second ever casualty.

The squad, now 5, continued running. There were now more Chryssalids giving chase. More from the whale, all chasing as quick as they could - as we reached higher ground, two more spawned from nearby shark carcasses, we were surrounded. A new member of the team sent over from China, we called her Cargo, made it to the evac first and was able to reload her gun. The others weren't far behind, but we had two turns left til the airstrike hit and killed everything left in that god forsaken place.

Merely steps from the evac zone, they'd caught up with us - Augustin "Zues" Fournier, our French sniper, was surrounded by three with nothing but his pistol, and no chance. The others all stood safely at the evac at this point. Cargo, with a gun full of ammo, unloaded on one of them bastards, giving Zues the time to dash through the gap and to safety.

XCOM, man.

To get out of that with just losing a squaddie is considered a successful mission. She was a promising young assault soldier though - and was set to become my squads main assault choice. Not anymore.

This mission happened with my basic weaponry and armour. Had we got laser/plasma weapons, or MEC's or SHIVs.. maybe it would have been less about running for our lives.

I had to sacrifice my best sniper on that mission by keeping her on Overwatch while her teammates dashed to the evac zone before the turn limit ran out. I'd say something along the lines of "never forget", but I actually have forgotten her name.

• Like 1

Had an awesome moment last night - one of my newest soldiers, an Egyptian Assault soldier (joined us after a mission, I was sorely lacking a great assault, so much needed) - 'Boomer' - had three Chryssalid's converge on him. He popped up, fired an Overwatch shot at one - taking two health off. Then one came within 4 tiles, so his close combat training kicked in - he popped off another shot - killed it in one. The third stepped into Boomer's range too - another Scatter Laser blast, another dead Chryssalid.

He then finished off the first one with his regular action.

Amazing.

Is it just me, or are terror missions really lacking in terror on Enemy within?

They still target civilians but they aren't afraid of targeting X-Com soldiers this time around, which is the opposite of what used to make terror missions so hard in the vanilla game with the aliens ignoring your soldiers half the time to kill civilians instead. I remember one terror mission in the original game where the last alien would have killed one of my soldiers but instead decided to take out a civilian with its last act. Granted that prevented an excellent rating but still if I was in their shoes I'd have taken out an experienced soldier instead.

Also add in mechs and I don't think I've had one single terror mission yet, in enemy within, which isn't rated excellent.

I only have people pilot MECs if they're critically injured. Makes it harder than having a squad of MECs.

Terror missions have seemed easier - but I had one where I didn't see any enemies until I got deep into the map and they'd killed a bunch by then.

I loved this one terror mission I just had, where I sent 5 of the team after this bunch of Chryssalids and the final squad member around the side to rescue a couple of civs, while the enemy was being kept busy and/or killed. Poor bastard ran into a sectopod, a drone, a muton and a beserker.

He survived but only because of a blatant disregard for safety on the part of a mech, my aussie support non-medic and my no 1 assault trooper. They kept the enemy busy/reduced their numbers while my no 1 heavy with revive ability snuck in around the side with ghost mode to revive him and move him out of the way of the sectopod's blast radius(as he was close enough to have died from the explosion).

Summ's dead.

So is my Scottish assault woman after my heavy missed a Thin Man and destroyed her cover instead.