New X-Com Game

Herr Matzat

Let's go back to talking about this! It's free on PS+, and it's still awesome.

Jumped back into the save I was on, and lost two rookies on a very difficult mission due to the experienced lads being injured or having psi tests. Poor kids,

I had forgotten how addicting this game is. "Just one more time.." is so damn tempting and it got two of my squad members killed last night when I was way too tired and didn't realize I had just put someone in front of a destroyed wall. I lost another guy when I came across those spider things with insane health in the middle of a mission. :(

It was the worst map to discover them on too. It was a destroyed bridge with the civilian rescue aspect and I was JUST about to lose China (which is of course, where it was) so I was being a bit reckless and a scout ahead of the rest of the pack to save some civies decided to trigger them. Since he was at the top of a slope I couldn't really get a shot off from any of my snipers or anyone else. :(

I'm generally terrible myself. Trick is at the start to discover the aliens as soon as possible - and even that takes more than one turn where you're probably going to lose some. Kind of ignore the ones close to your area, if you have confidence that you'll win the mission - then they'll be saved by default. Distract the aliens early so they're not just running around killing.

I hate those spider bastards, and berserkers.

I actually liked the beserkers for the most part - I used their beserkerness to draw them out of cover etc, draw them into flanking maneuvers, into range of snipers - that sort of thing.

On the plus side - I used to be really shit at capturing aliens but now that I've figured out how to use surpression properly I can just walk straight up to the assholes and blast them. I got one of those crystal bastards on my first crashed UFO and I don't think I ever did that in my previous game because I have no recollection of the crystal cutscene.

Well, he was the only one left in the ship and he was all the way across a wide open space. I had two people hide in doorways to surpress him.. if he moved he was instantly dead. So I ran in my guy with the Arc Thrower and put him in good cover because I had to make him dash to get there. The alien didn't even take a pot shot at me.. which is lucky I suppose, or one of my supression people had the ability that lets them take a reaction shot when an alien just fires his gun. I don't know if the AI takes that into account however. Then in the next turn I was able to just run up and blast the guy.

Hit a mad mission last night. Had to retreat. Massive spaceship landed sent my best squad, we were right in front of this open door. Massive open door. We advanced slowly and in cover then shit hit the fan.

Two big fuck off MECHs and the usual stuff. Like all 18 enemies were stood there. It was fucking crazy.

I hate when the aliens target civilians too much in terror missions. Once they had a soldier of mine dead to rights and instead killed the last civilian and robbed me of the badly needed chance to increase the mission rating to excellent :(

I don't like to hire too many soldiers, only when I feel the need to and often I fill gaps with mission incentive soldiers anyway. It bothers me that I'm yet to come across an Australian male to rename after myself via either method.