New X-Com Game

Herr Matzat

I just beat it! Total play time was 22 hours (though about an hour of that was the final mission), though I went into it with a decent enough knowledge of how to play it safe. (Nothing spoilery, just tips like move, then overwatch all the time, build satellites, upgrade ships when you can and so on.) I'd definitely say I got my moneys worth, enjoyed the crap out of the game and 22 hours worth of awesome for £30 is a bargain.

I beat the final boss with an overwatch shot! :P

I had two soldiers who came up through the ranks to lead my team to total domination - two snipers. One was Black Widow, I can't remember her name but she was Russian and had red hair, so I decided to name her that. The other was another lady with only hair on the top of her hair. Solo and Xeno, my heroes.

:wub: My PSI soldier that saved the world was a guy that I trained up who joined midway through the game, he did damn well. I like to think that the story behind it was that Solo had been the leader of XCOM and was a little pissed off about this rookie being the 'savior', but by the end they were buddies and she respected him. David Dubois, I'll never forget you!

So much fun. I'm not sure if I'll play again, I probably will at some point on a harder difficulty, but it's fairly rare for me to go back and play games once I've beaten them. My biggest gripe with the game is that I think it'd be a lot more fun without having to worry about the game ending because the countries dropped out of the XCOM project. I think the loss of funds for each month would have been enough of a punishment, especially considering that's all they were really good for. If I'd lost two more countries before the final mission, I wouldn't have been able to play it... which wouldn't have really made sense, considering all it took was my skyranger and 6 troops to win the war. :P

I would have liked a bit more interesting weapons and armor. It's mostly tiers 1-3 with stuff like Ghost Armor and the Jet Pack armor... by the time I had Ghost Armor researched, I didn't really need it any more and the Jet Pack is so buggy, it's safer not to use it. I would have liked to have seen stuff like weapons with less power but better accuracy. And really, choosing anything other than the most powerful armor (Titan) is just silly. :P

Yeah, I mean, this game is nice and all and is probably tons of fun... if it wasn't for the multitude of game breaking bugs, crashes and everything. I have tried three times to complete the tutorial now but every time I get to the Anna Sing mission, the game either crashes, has a game breaking bug or just fucks up something else that forces me to reload. I can't believe I just spent so much money on a game that barely works. :/

Wait, are you playing console or PC? :shifty: Either way, I've had it crash multiple times, squadmates getting cloned, interface options not wanting to disappear and then subsequently crash the game, the game getting stuck on a load screen and so on and so on. Some of the bugs even persisted after I updated my system and drivers and what have you. It is really sort of annoying because the game sounded like tons of fun. :(

I'm on Xbox and I've had no issues. My brother, who is using an older model Xbox, is also having no issues. Are you on PC or console? I remember one year I bought a NHL game for 360, and I got a faulty disk that did similar things.

Edited by Toe

PC through Steam. I don't do consoles games at all really. I rarely ever do games (except old games and indie games) but yeah. I have scoured the XCOM forums and whatnot and it seems there are a ton of people with these problems and Firaxis is already adressing most of them in upcoming patches and whatnot. So far, I just need to stay away from what I know will trigger a bug I guess.

It's possible to grind, you just need to be smart about it. If you're looking for grinding though, your best bet is upgrading your ships so you can take out UFOs. The yield of resources from those are fantastic, they even give you a ton of things to sell. But you do really need to be careful about how much you're letting the world fall. 8 countries leave XCOM and it's game over. This can be negated by just doing Abduction Missions in the right places, but you tend to spread more panic across the board that way, in exchange for lower single country panic.

Also, there's a bunch of bugs in the game, at least for the PC version. Nothing that ever really broke the game happened to me, but I ran into stuff like soldiers shooting in the completely wrong direction and still hitting the target. Most have been graphical or camera issues. Once my Jet Pack wouldn't descend so I had one soldier left in one spot for the entire game. It was a pain in the ass but I just never used the Jet Pack again.