General Gaming Thread

TKz

On 4/8/2016 at 05:37, Benji said:

Current run down of potential games with confirmed release dates for me this year...

Apr 22, 2016: Ratchet & Clank [PS4]
April 25 / May 2, 2016: TEW 16 [PC]
May 3, 2016: Battleborn [PS4]
May 10, 2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]
May 13, 2016: DOOM [PS4]
May 20, 2016: Homefront: The Revolution [PS4]
May 26, 2016: Mirror's Edge Catalyst [PS4]
July 1, 2016: Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness [PS4]
September 30, 2016: Final Fantasy XV [PS4/XBO]
October 11, 2016: Gears of War 4 [XBO] (if I get an XBO before then)

Next month is going to kill me, I feel like outside of U4 and MEC, most of those May ones are going to have to be "go down in price" ones, or in TEW's case, wait until my backlog is more clear.

Have you played the Battleborn beta yet?  I'm curious to see if its improved from its rough Alpha.

4 hours ago, Cloudy said:

LPs of Telltale Games can be interesting, but they're carried more by your personality than what goes on in-game. How you react, your emotion, the tone of your voice, etc - if you just do a monotonous blow-by-blow of a Telltale game, people are probably going to tune out within the first few minutes. 

That said, Catlateral Damage would be my pick. That's a hilariously fun game.

I'm not going to commit to a full playthrough on this unless I (somehow) get demand for more; lacking a fanbase of any sort I think a more "hey this is something I found, let's check it out" way of doing it would work better. So with that in mind Catlateral's probably what I'm going for.

I'll likely also dig into some other obscure stuff I got, and PS Plus games (I'm going to do a seperate thing for current PS Plus games though). I have Exciting Hour in my PSN library, that might be a fun episode.

My working series title is PSN Bargain Bin, though I might drop the PSN part if I decide to add PC-only stuff.

Edited by OctoberRavenO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, OctoberRavenO said:

I'm not going to commit to a full playthrough on this unless I (somehow) get demand for more; lacking a fanbase of any sort I think a more "hey this is something I found, let's check it out" way of doing it would work better. So with that in mind Catlateral's probably what I'm going for.

I'll likely also dig into some other obscure stuff I got, and PS Plus games (I'm going to do a seperate thing for current PS Plus games though). I have Exciting Hour in my PSN library, that might be a fun episode.

My working series title is PSN Bargain Bin, though I might drop the PSN part if I decide to add PC-only stuff.

I personally prefer let's plays unless the person in question has a certain history with a series. Like if Quill18 or Arumba were reviewing a grand strat I'd watch because it's what they spend their lives playing. But the only reason I'd be interested in their opinion is because I know they're deep into those types of games because of their let's plays.

Basically why would I care what a random person on the internet thinks about a game unless they have some sort of cred? I'd much rather watch someone earn that cred by speed running a game, doing a tutorial series on a game or having an entertaining let's play of that style of game, or already knowing their name because they worked in media or are linked in with other people who make content. 

Plus in general people are really honestly shit at reviews. I'd much prefer a 5 minute check-list of the pros and cons with some examples than a TB/Northern Lion style 'WTF is'/'lets look at' style video. They can sort of pull it off because they're fairly charismatic and you already 'know' them. But there are way to many 20 minute videos of guys running around a video game level reading out what sounds like a high-school/undergrad assignment on that video game.  

• Like 1

Didn't think of that in that way. Review wasn't exactly what I was going for as much as basically throwing "pilots" for LPs out and see if anything catches on. PS only records up to 15 min at a time but unless it's something like Fallout where nothing will happen for minutes at a time I don't think that'll be too much of an issue.

I used to hate it too, but my philosophy is "graphics don't mean shit if the game is fun enough"

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Cel shading is wonderful and you are a nob :/

5 hours ago, Benji said:

you really don't need to call people facetious knobs and insult people for agreeing with a point

:/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

The game volume is like 50% louder than your voice, I'd also try and eliminate as much dead space at the start as you can, there's 15 seconds of talking with a black screen then another 15 seconds before the game kicks in. Which would be cool if you were explaining the backstory or whatever, but instead it's basically dead air.

Like I'd get the point of the black screen if the game was meant to be a surprise but you've titled the game as what it is, so anyone clicking on it already knows what game you'll be playing.

Normally I wouldn't bother giving advice lest I sound like a prick, but the video actually seems fine once you start. 

• Like 1

I must have had my microphone settings reset. I'll do a sound check next time, thanks. As far as the dead air, not sure what happened there as I saw the title screen when I started recording.

And no need to worry about sounding like a prick, dude, you're chill.

Edited by OctoberRavenO
  • Like 1

Grr...PC controller problems!

1st: Using an XBox One controller...has worked great. Dropped it...now it isn't working.

2nd: Try using the second XBO controller. That one isn't working either....so it might be an issue with the cable.

3rd: Switched to my PS4 controller. Everything is fine and dandy....except then it randomly stops working in the middle of a WWE 2k16 match...hoping that was a bug.

Edit: Looks like it was the cable being a dick. Dammit. If I hold the Xbox controller in the exact right spot and don't move, it connects. Time to get a replacement. 

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Grr...PC controller problems!

1st: Using an XBox One controller...has worked great. Dropped it...now it isn't working.

2nd: Try using the second XBO controller. That one isn't working either....so it might be an issue with the cable.

3rd: Switched to my PS4 controller. Everything is fine and dandy....except then it randomly stops working in the middle of a WWE 2k16 match...hoping that was a bug.

Edit: Looks like it was the cable being a dick. Dammit. If I hold the Xbox controller in the exact right spot and don't move, it connects. Time to get a replacement. 

Ahh, I just had a similar problem. I've got the wireless adapter but I don't have any rechargeable batteries so I'm connected via the wire until... the bit that plugs into the top of the pad started smoking :mellow:

7 Days to Die, a zombie survival sim, is coming to consoles. I loved the PC version but what sold me to pick up the console version is split screen. I think me and the SO will play that game for days. Too bad it's dropping around No Mans Sky. 

Not trying to be a sour puss or anything, but I really don't get what No Man's Sky is or the hype. From the limited amount I've gathered it's just a standard survival sim but with procedurally generated worlds instead of the usual earthy environments. What about it is so amazing?

Features like "you could be the first person to explore this planet" make people's minds and excitement go fucking crazy. It's really easy to overlook the fact - and it is a fact - that there are going to be a handful of different 'styles' of planet and then they're all just going to look the same anyways.