General Gaming Thread

TKz

Rumors of a Skyrim remastering being announced (likely Sunday).

Also, Persona 5 north american release date is February. Now that there is a date (even if it's 8 months away), I can start to get hyped.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Oblivion needs a remaster way before Skyrim. Oblivion on console looks absolutely atrocious at this point. Gotta follow the money though I suppose.

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Oblivion more than Skyrim. I'm not saying it's a better game, but I had more fun with it, perhaps because it felt newer to me, having never played Morrowind. A nicer looking Oblivion would be nicer to see, if they had to pick one of the two.

49 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I hate that we seem to be in the age of the remaster. I'd much rather devs spent time making new games and new IPs, and for publishers to actually get behind them.

They are. Remasters for the most part aren't taking any resource away from new IP. They're usually ported by studios that specialize in things like this rather than the main studios behind the original. FFX HD for example was ported by Virtuous, outside of branding it wasn't much to do with Square-Enix and didn't take anything away from their current projects. The whole reason Remasters are getting popular is because they're cheap to do, don't take up any of the main studios resources and sell pretty well.

There's not even really that many of them, it just seems like it because they're big titles coming back and thus get a lot of press.

And I'd argue some of them are pretty good things - playing FFX on a PS2 nowadays made it look like a pile of trash. Last of Us on PS3 was so, so, so much better running above 20 fps and gave people that didn't pick it up on PS3 a chance to play that game. Same with the Uncharted HD Remaster. 

Sure, there's one of two we could live without - I doubt many were desperate for Devil May Cry 4 HD or Killzone HD, but it's not like their existence hurts anyone.

Even Skyrim remastered really isn't that big a deal. Personally, if I play Skyrim again it'll be on PC, modded to shit. But I play games on a PC and have one that can do that. This new version will apparently look better, run better (lol bethesda) and have mod support on consoles. That's probably a pretty big deal if you don't have the tech to run it well on a PC, or if you traded in your PS3 and can't play that game any more.

• Like 2

Just finished Gone Home thanks to my PS+

I had the worst feeling entering that attic. Two ways it could have gone. Glad they went he happy ending in the end

Yeah. Basically you need to leave the game off for a while. Come back to it later and it should have finished.

12 minutes ago, apsham said:

I'm really stuck in Overwatch right now - my friend is really good so I when I play with him I get paired up with the "I only play Overwatch, I work 20 hours a week" types who just destroy me.

Likewise.  I may just wind up picking Widowmaker and camping.  Did seem to suck a lot of the fun out of it.

So Watch Dogs 2 was properly announced. The original was nowhere near what people expected after the reveal trailer but I still enjoyed it enough to want to play the sequel. 

Edit: Just realised people are already talking about it.

Overwatch needs better matchmaking. Me and two friends play and get matched up constantly against full teams of 6 who are all together and do nothing but play this game apparently. I don't understand why it's not done more like CoD or something, where the level dictates who you're against. I've faced way too many Level 50's for a Level 20.

• Like 2

Overwatch is supposedly trying to match make people to maintain a 50/50 win and loss record. Now obviously this can be thrown off by staying in matches against full teams of people, etc - but it seems to be holding true in the case of most of the people that I've played with. Now that we're a few weeks in and everyone is getting a hang of things.. there are exploits for sure that people are fairly finding and I'm having a hard time keeping up. Know the best place for turrets, etc - is something that has slipped by me so far.

My biggest issue with the game is that y'know there are objectives. 99% I play as support, it's very frustrating when I'm the only person on the payload/securing the point/whatever because everyone else has decided that camping or running around the map trying to flank (but totally not where anyone is or logically will be) is the world's best idea.

Plus there is no proper practice mode (if you go into vs AI everyone just camps the spawn and slaughters them as they run out) the bots are even more useless. So either you try and work out how to use someone new during a game, or you end up doing the thing they didn't want people to do and just main someone. I don't need a story or anything, just a scenario mode that shows you how each ability works and how to best use it: Mercy flying to Pharah, Lucio speeding up teammates, Roadhog hook/melee/shoot etc. 

I've beaten plenty of teams ranked higher than the team I'm on when I've lucked into a game where people actually know what to do. But the play of the game, killstreaks and all that shit are making people prioritise treating it like a death-match game rather than an objectives based game.

• Like 1

There HAS to be a video. There absolutely HAS to be a video for all new players and even if implemented, the first time everyone else logs in...

TO TELL PEOPLE NOT TO SHOOT ZARAYA'S FUCKING BUBBLE.

So FEW people understand what the hell that does.

I have another Hotline Miami, but I'm going to release it Wednesday because it didn't feel right releasing it today even with the opening card.

• Like 1