GAME no longer stocking EA Games..

Summers

Wow. Reading all of this, GameStop's acquisition of EB Games while keeping most of its stores open (in spite of the fact that GameStop had more customer complaints than EB Games stores) and remaining profitable looks like a bang-up job in comparison. I can only think of one EB Games in my area that fully closed, and it was in a store front next to a high-fashion store - can you say brand confusion? Either way, failure to properly negotiate your leasing agreements has led plenty of small businesses to close and/or relocate. I'm sort of surprised a whole corporation screwed up like this.

Stuff like this proves that if God blesses anything, bountiful video game blessings seem to be exclusive to the US and Japan...

Wow. Reading all of this, GameStop's acquisition of EB Games while keeping most of its stores open (in spite of the fact that GameStop had more customer complaints than EB Games stores) and remaining profitable looks like a bang-up job in comparison. I can only think of one EB Games in my area that fully closed, and it was in a store front next to a high-fashion store - can you say brand confusion? Either way, failure to properly negotiate your leasing agreements has led plenty of small businesses to close and/or relocate. I'm sort of surprised a whole corporation screwed up like this.

Stuff like this proves that if God blesses anything, bountiful video game blessings seem to be exclusive to the US and Japan...

GAME used to be EB over here when I was young.

Apparently every single Game in the Republic of Ireland has shut down...

I know a girl, through Twitter, who worked in Game on Henry Street in Dublin (I think it's Henry Street).

She was off today and had to learn this on the internet.

Strange, both GAME's and Gamestation in Merthyr are staying open. Seeing how they are like, 1 mile apart, you'd think at least one would close.

I don't think locational logistics played a major factor in this. Something tells me they decided to take a certain amount of stores from each region that were pulling in the least profit and close those stores. Summ's comment about eight stores per region being shuttered leads me to think location may not have even been factored into the decision.

Strange, both GAME's and Gamestation in Merthyr are staying open. Seeing how they are like, 1 mile apart, you'd think at least one would close.

I don't think locational logistics played a major factor in this. Something tells me they decided to take a certain amount of stores from each region that were pulling in the least profit and close those stores. Summ's comment about eight stores per region being shuttered leads me to think location may not have even been factored into the decision.

As far as I'm aware the stores doing well sales wise and meeting targets were saved if possible.

There were 3 stores in Stevenage Town Center, A GS and Two Games, with GS and Game being 5 doors apart and the other Game being about 100m away from the two. The largest store with the highest footfall (my own) stayed open, although nobody there is still fully confident that these are going to be all the closes.

It's like that in Milton Keynes too (and in Kingston, minus the GS store). Why do GAME stores come in pairs so often? Unless they simply couldn't be arsed to close or consolidate stores after gaining them from EB or whoever...which to me seems indicative if a pretty lazy business strategy.

Apparently every single Game in the Republic of Ireland has shut down...

I know a girl, through Twitter, who worked in Game on Henry Street in Dublin (I think it's Henry Street).

She was off today and had to learn this on the internet.

The staff at her shop are having a sit in because the company are refusing to pay redundancy money, they aren't the only ones.

The administrators of collapsed video games retailer Game said today they will close 277 stores in the UK and Ireland, leading to 2,089 job losses.

Game has 14 stores in the Republic of Ireland and 121 jobs will be lost at its stores in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Monaghan and Athlone.

Administrators PWC Ireland confirmed that 13 stores in Northern Ireland have closed or will close with the loss of 110 jobs.

The UK operations of the retailer, which trades as Game and Gamestation, collapsed into administration after it suffered dire trading in recent months, while some suppliers refused to stock the business.

The administrators said the remaining 333 stores in the UK and Ireland, which employ 2,814 staff, will continue to trade while they try to find a buyer for the remainder of the business.

The five stores in Northern Ireland that will remain open are in Belfast (Donegall Arcade and the Abbey Centre), Newtownards, Craigavon and Derry.

Some staff at the Irish branches are considering a sit-in in pursuit of enhanced redundancy entitlements.

PWC have told staff the company will not be paying any redundancy and they will have to apply to the State for the bare minimum statutory redundancy payments.

Manager of the Blanchardstown branch Will Donoghue said he had been called by his regional manager this morning and told to cease trading immediately.

Mr Donoghue, who has been with the company for 17 years, said the staff at the Irish stores are going to organise what they will do next.

Game employs over 10,000 people at 1,270 stores in nine European countries and in Australia.

- RTE.ie.

GAME is in Australia..... Haven't heard if they are affected in any way.

The website is still up.

Just looked on it, and saw this:

http://www.game.com....ox-360/REORC360

That's £64.56, what the fuck :mellow:

Infact, most new games are priced that highly and I thought we had it bad.

Games in Australia are ridiculously expensive, when I was over there, new releases were always $100+