Eurovision 2012!

Katsuya

So, we're due the reveal of the UK's Eurovision act tonight at 10.30, so I figured now was as good a time as any to start this topic. The rumour making the rounds today is that it's going to be Morrissey, based on the fact that he's said he would do it before and it's a former Grammy nominee. Saying that, the rumour was Atomic Kitten last weekend so god knows who it's going to be until the Beeb officially announce it.

A load of other countries have already chosen their songs though. My favourites are probably Denmark, Iceland, Norway and France. There are some really, really bad ones in there (hello, Georgia and Latvia).

Oh, and yes, Jedward are representing Ireland again. Dima Bilan (who won Eurovision in 2008) and Yulia Volkova (from t.A.T.u) are doing a duet in the Russian national final, so they'll probably be there too.

So, Russia's national final was tonight. Among the acts performing was Dima Bilan (who won in 2008) doing a duet with Julia Volkova (formerly of t.a.t.u.). Did Russia choose the "golden couple"?

No.

They chose the Buranovskiye Babushki.

We're going to Moscow in 2013...

• 2 weeks later...

Sweden's song reminds me of what I used to dance to when clubbing at uni back in '99.

That old Russian woman is just brilliant.

Engelbert should have done alright with that but going first is a killer and it's not the first time in recent years that the UK have had to perform first.

In a line that will no doubt be trotted out plenty nearer the contest, the UK actually won from 1st with Brotherhood of Man. Of course, Brotherhood of Man won in an 18 song contest and with only the juries, and Engelbert has 25 songs after him and televoting to cope with. Still, top 10 isn't outside of his reach.

Looking at the betting, it's all pretty much one way traffic:

Best odds on Sweden are 12/5, though nobody is offering odds on yet, which they were getting close to doing on Alexander Rybak.

Russia are next on 6/1, but it's very much Brits thinking "LOL, novelty act at Eurovision, of course it'll win!" and not realising that...no, it will not.

Denmark and Serbia you can get for 14/1 and 16/1. Denmark are on outside shot of winning, I think. Serbia will do well but I doubt it'll win, it's Zeljko's worst song out of the four he's had in the contest.

Three of the big five are at 20/1(also 20/1), the UK, Spain and Italy. Spain have a real shot at winning, Italy have been hindered by the draw and the UK would be a wasted bet.

Outside shots would be Slovenia (66/1), Iceland (28-1) and Norway (33-1).

Logic dictates that it's Loreen's to lose, really. The only songs I can really see giving her a challenge would be Denmark, Spain and Iceland and for Denmark & Iceland, that'll be very draw dependant.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, that *was* San Marino's entry, until someone quite rightly pointed out to them that it broke the commercial rules of the contest.

So they changed it to this:

That song was written by the same man who wrote "Ein Bischen Frieden" for Nicole. *sigh*

Actually, that *was* San Marino's entry, until someone quite rightly pointed out to them that it broke the commercial rules of the contest.

So they changed it to this:

That song was written by the same man who wrote "Ein Bischen Frieden" for Nicole. *sigh*

Definitely 12 points from United Kingdom right there.

• 4 weeks later...

Squeeeeeeeee. Tomorrow night is Semi Final One, which includes Jedward for those who are interested.

Favourite remains Sweden and it *probably* will win. I have it narrowed down to four countries who might win and I've got my two bets on (Sweden to win at 15/8 and Spain each way at 28/1). Exciting times :D