Board Game thread

Played GoT for the first time today. I nearly won! :D (The happiness is on account of having looked utterly screwed around turns 3-5) Drew on number of castles but lost 4-3 on the number of strongholds tiebreaker. A bit of a shame that the winner was Greyjoy, utterly unlikable that they are.

But we must keep sight of what's truly important: I got to stab my wife in the back. That's all that matters.

• Like 2

If anyone has nothing to do on the weekend of the 31st/1st then there's the UK's biggest board game convention taking place in Birmingham at the NEC Hilton Metropole.

As well as playing games there will be loads of exhibitors, preowned games bring and buy, blokes who should know better dressed up as stormtroopers and Doctor Who...and guests including:

Ian Livingstone (Fighting Fantasy books among other things)

Steve Jackson (Livingstone's partner in crime)

Chris Barrie (the bloke who plays Rimmer and has done plenty of other stuff)

Matt Leacock (designer of Pandemic, Forbidden Island etc)

Reiner Knizia (designer of a lot of things)

Dr. Quentin Cooper (BBC nerd bloke)

Lots more people too.

http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/

I'm going for the Saturday and Sunday and it should be entertaining.

I am pleased. My free print and play game Footy Manager has finally gained enough ratings to mean that it is oficially ranked on BoardGameGeek, comparing it against all the other games.

It's ranked in Overall and Thematic Games.

The current rating is 7.82 which is extremely high and, if I had the same spread of votes, but thousands of them, it would be ranked as the 18th best game in the world. Huzzah.

As it is, when the number of ratings is low, the ranking program artifically adds a large number of ZERO votes to avoid new games and limited release games from pinging around the charts and making everything confusing. Therefore it's ranked rating is 5.617. This gives it an Overall Ranking of 4451 and a Thematic Ranking of 499. I can't see any other games with such a small number of votes so high in the lists. That's lovely.

So how does this compare to other well-known games?

Well, in the Thematic Ranks, it's only 28 places below MUNCHKIN which has thousands upon thousands of ratings.

It's 83 places below the game ZOMBIES!!!

It's 2 places below BLOODBOWL.

It's above classic game 221B Baker Street, Chez Geek and Walking Dead,.

In the Overall Ranks it's ABOVE a vast number of games, but most importantly I can say, with data to back it up, that my game is officially better than Monopoly.

And then cry when I compare incomes.

• Like 7

A huge all day experience where teams of four play different countries doing their thang under threat of a global alien attack.

I MUST do this, I need trustworthy colleagues!

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susd-play-goddamn-megagame/

Played a game of Mage Knight and Red Dragon Inn last night.

MK seems like it could be fantastic fun, but the set-up time is a little ridiculous for first timers.

RDI was a really good laugh. We're definitely going to have to use it as an actual drinking game down the line. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Played a a game of Eldritch Horror at the weekend. It tour around 4 hours, and we only lost because the Mythos deck was exhausted :(.

Annoyingly, the mystery we had to solve (and win the game) was one that required us to shut Gates whilstever the corresponding omen was up on the tracker. This lead to a couple of us camping in San Fran whilst the other guy went to Istanbul. Our only problem was that we needed a clue token each prior to shutting the gate (you 'spend' the clue token to convert it to an Eldritch token, and use the Eldtrich token to solve the mystery). Mr. Istanbul then failed the dice check to gain a clue token in the adjacent square to Istanbul three turns on the bounce to lose us the game :-(. It felt a little like we'd sussed the correct tactics to defeat it, but the random aspect of the game mechanics kicked us in the nuts :-/

Still, a very cool/fun game that was really easy to get into.

My friend has the Firefly game (plus expansions) and loves it.

• Like 1

Played a a game of Eldritch Horror at the weekend. It tour around 4 hours, and we only lost because the Mythos deck was exhausted :(.

Annoyingly, the mystery we had to solve (and win the game) was one that required us to shut Gates whilstever the corresponding omen was up on the tracker. This lead to a couple of us camping in San Fran whilst the other guy went to Istanbul. Our only problem was that we needed a clue token each prior to shutting the gate (you 'spend' the clue token to convert it to an Eldritch token, and use the Eldtrich token to solve the mystery). Mr. Istanbul then failed the dice check to gain a clue token in the adjacent square to Istanbul three turns on the bounce to lose us the game :-(. It felt a little like we'd sussed the correct tactics to defeat it, but the random aspect of the game mechanics kicked us in the nuts :-/

Been thinking of getting Eldritch Horror. But please tell me most games don't go that long. Someone I play games with tends to get bored if games go over 2 hours.

(Also thinking of getting Zombieopoly)

Been thinking of getting Eldritch Horror. But please tell me most games don't go that long. Someone I play games with tends to get bored if games go over 2 hours.

(Also thinking of getting Zombieopoly)

It's hard to tell - it's the only time we've played it :-/ I know Arkham Horror was meant to be like that. To be honest, we didn't realise how long we'd been playing until it was over - felt more like 90 minutes.