Board Game thread

Bought Stokerina a copy of 'A Game of Thrones: The Card Game' as a random little gift. I figure if she enjoys it then it could pave the way for more fun gaming (as opposed to Twilight Struggle, which she can't stand in spite of its awesomeness). She enjoying playing a bit of the Discworld board game with friends the other week which is why the general gaming idea crossed my mind.

Said game was selected on the basis of it being:

A) Two-player (this ruled out 'A Game of Thrones: The Board Game', amongst others)

B) About GoT so that she will be ensnared into playing by her own fangirliness

C) Available in the shop I happened to be in yesterday when the whim struck me. :shifty:

I did have a long, hard look at Star Trek: Fleet Captains, which would also have ticked the above three boxes (she is equally Trek geeky as she is GoT geeky), but figured I could come back to it if she likes GoT since it cost more than twice as much. Having glanced at a couple of online reviews, apparently its pieces are really flimsy and breakable but otherwise it's pretty fun?

Some guys were playing Fleet Captains at the convention last weekend. It seemed extremely long. It's quite likely you made the right decision.

I played some good stuff over the two days. Some of which would probably get some interest here.

SUBURBIA is probably the closest thing we'll get to Sim City: The board game.

pic1355470_md.jpg

TAKENOKO is as cute as anything and plays simply but with a good amount of strategy.

pic1505226_md.jpg

LIBERTALIA is far better than I thought it would be. A pirate card playing game with plenty of layers and decisions. Also with good art.

pic1731444_md.jpg

I played K2 today: A mountain climbing game which was tough but very clever.

pic1669189_md.jpg

Finally, Robinson Crusoe is just as good as I'd hoped. Utterly brilliant.

I played my first game of Settlers of Catan last night, 'er indoors isn't much of a gamer so don't play many board games at home but got in to it. I made a really crap start by misunderstanding the thief rules and thinking you could put it on a tile and it meant you stole anything that people would get for rolling that number. Thankfully lots of 12's and 3's popped up early to help me expand. In the long run though so many 5's and 6's were rolled I ended up coming third out of five and a couple of players just ran away with it. I still had the longest roads at least...

Next week going to be playing some Game of Thrones which should be fun, previous games have degenerated in to "Kill off the Starks" quite quickly apparently so it's sods law that's who I'll be playing. Then the week after that will be playing Guards Guards for the first time since playtesting it at Titancon a couple of years ago before we go into the Blood Bowl season.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a play of 'Sky Traders' today. I imagine it's a very average economic/trade-y type game, but I haven't really played others so I wouldn't know.

Was pretty good but became a bit monotonous after a few turns in once everybody settled down and figured out what they were doing (which was, duh, buy low and sell high). There are a lot of the event cards ("Ill Winds" cards) that depend upon you either carrying illicit goods or a "Wanted" marker to have any effect, but this rarely comes to anything because you can always sell/dump said illicit goods one turn after picking them up, so there's only a tiny window to get caught in. And you only get a "Wanted" marker for a) dumping sludge on cities (which would require you to be both Stupid and Hating Easy Money that you can get for dumping it in the Volcano), or b) attacking a fellow player's sky ship.

I therefore get the sense that a lot more bastardry and attacking-of-each-other was expected by the game makers. The tricky thing is you want to go about raiding 'n' shit and not get twatted, you really want to load up on a couple of extra crewmen for their combat bonuses - and this both costs trading cash and shrinks your cargo hold space...so you kind of have to dedicate yourself a bit to this pursuit, and making money in the normal, legit way is so very easy in comparison.

It was however amusing (in hindsight) that I kept picking the card that plagued me with the DAMNED SLUDGE MONKEY. This was easily dealt with, but did put an abrupt end to the wonderful Wine and Toxic Ooze Emporium that my sky ship had become. :shifty:

• 1 month later...

I am very upset that Betrayal at House on the Hill has become virtually impossible to acquire so close to my birthday. Damn you Wheaton! :(

I want the game so bad.

So do I. My sister was all 'sure I'll get it for your birthday' and then today she was like 'I was going to get it but everywhere's either sold out or charging £100+'.

I am very upset that Betrayal at House on the Hill has become virtually impossible to acquire so close to my birthday. Damn you Wheaton! :(

I want the game so bad.

So do I. My sister was all 'sure I'll get it for your birthday' and then today she was like 'I was going to get it but everywhere's either sold out or charging £100+'.

Holy crap, seriously? I found it for about $50 on Amazon. Really contemplating getting it, even though odds are I won't get to play it for a long while.

I guess it's worse over here, I looked on Amazon.co.uk two seconds ago and they had one copy for £170.

I guess you could get it for me and ship it from Canada <_<

Holy shitballs. That is ridiculous. Normally board games are terrible on Amazon....but this was reasonably priced, so I had to get it.

Are there websites you can order from? Although, I know with most sites you need to spend at least $100 to make it worth it with shipping and such.

Holy shitballs. That is ridiculous. Normally board games are terrible on Amazon....but this was reasonably priced, so I had to get it.

Are there websites you can order from? Although, I know with most sites you need to spend at least $100 to make it worth it with shipping and such.

I've had a look at some of the European websites but most of them are waiting to restock.