Board Game thread

• 4 weeks later...

Bought some new board games today!

-Red Dragon Inn (good, simple card game. Can easily be turned into a drinking/gambling game!)

-The Resistance (I just like games of this type. goes along with Battlestar Galactica, Shadow Hunters and Castle of The Devil)

-boss monster the dungeon-building card game (I just really liked the art. And it sounds like a card game version of Dungeon Lords, which I haven't had a chance to play)

I've played Red Dragon Inn once at a convention. It was pretty fun actually. Love the fact that you're buying others drinks (the more generous you are, the more dastardly you're being) and I like that you lose when either you're out of money, health or are just too drunk.

I was the bard (from one of the expansions I believe) which was good fun to play as. In the end I was the second person to get eliminated though after passing out from being as drunk as possible. I'd play it again.

I have the Resistance. It's good but I'm still a little undecided as to quite how much strategy and skullduggery there actually IS in it. There's not much time to build a gameplan.

Yay board game night! played two of my games that I owned that i never played!

First up, Castle of the Devil. Interesting, but way too hard to draw new items into the game (and you need items to win), plus, eventually, you know exactly who is on everyone's team.

Then...Lifeboat! This one was a blast. I may not have won by points, but I was the only survivor left on the boat, and that's a victory to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took part in another Math Trade!!!

I give: Arkham Horror (got it in a previous trade, never played it, I doubt I ever would have) + Shadow Hunters (I only played it once, but it was fun. But it can be replaced by Battlestar Galactica, Lifeboat, and Survival Of The Fittest)

I receive: Settlers of Catan (so much fun!) and Quarriors (Also a lot of fun! Comes in the special tin!)

I am massively jealous of any of you that get to play board games. The only games that my girlfriend will play are Apples To Apples/Cards Against Humanity and I have the retro versions of Clue, Monopoly, Risk and Life that never see the light of day.

And those are just the ones that I figure I could talk her into if we have people over. I don't think I'll ever find a situation where I can play a game like Arkham Horror or Axis & Allies again.

I am massively jealous of any of you that get to play board games. The only games that my girlfriend will play are Apples To Apples/Cards Against Humanity and I have the retro versions of Clue, Monopoly, Risk and Life that never see the light of day.

And those are just the ones that I figure I could talk her into if we have people over. I don't think I'll ever find a situation where I can play a game like Arkham Horror or Axis & Allies again.

Go on Kijiji and say that you want to put together a board gaming group. When I lived in Red Deer we'd get together once a week to play games. I had something like that here in Calgary, but a lot more infrequent.

Edit: Grrr...I ordered The Resistance, Red Dragon Inn and Boss Monsters. But because 'Boss Monsters' is currently on pre-order, and they have no idea when it will be ready, I can't get my other two games! Asking if I can cancel the order and re-order it separately <_<

Edit 2: After asking to cancel (yet to hear back), I looked around for other board games I may wanna buy. So many games I want to play, too few people who want to play...and I also blame everyone's schedule (but mine....9-5!)

Edit 3: They will cancel my order! Woo! Assuming they don't just pay me back in credit I am going to order from a different online store (one based in Canada so I don't have to pay any kind of charges when I pick it up)

Picked up the Smash Up expansion pack, the ghost faction is awesome. And their next expansion comes out in September, The Obligatory Cthulhu Set! Excited!

Also have been playing For The Win, a tile game...sort of dominos-ish, and that's lots of fun, haven't lost yet.

Now I have to try to integrate myself into the group at the comedy house that plays Catan.

Hey British folk. The Works (that cheap bookshop place) get in a batch of "proper" board games every now and again. A while back they had some really good stuff (like La Citta) but sadly I was out of the country. Anyway at the moment they've got in:

+ Army of Frogs (£5.99) which is a fun little abstract game

pic359529_md.jpg

+Felinia (£9.99) which is a trading game which, for some reason, is centred around an island of cat people or something.

pic826530.jpg

+ Industry (£9.99) which is kinda ugly but supposedly a very decent auction game.

pic682421.jpg

+ Giants (dunno the price as they don't have it in Canterbury) which is probably the best of the lot and has cool pieces.

pic920285_md.jpg

pic1006051_md.jpg

So yeah, worth investing at a cheap price.

I got Army of Frogs and Industry. Would DEFINITELY have got Giants if they'd had it in. Didn't get Felinia because wife and I both hate cats so it would never have been played.