Board Game thread

• 1 month later...

Recently I've been playing games of Android: Netrunner. It's a reimplementation of an old CCG (collectible card game) that came out around the time of Magic: The Gathering and, despite having quite a big fan base) was not as popular as the Magic behemoth and so died out.

Fantasy Flight have bought it back as a LCG (Living Card Game) which means that you get all the cards you need in the main game and then they release small expansion packs every couple of months or so with 60 cards (3 copies of 20 cards). The packs are all decided so you know exactly what you're going to get in them. Which is good.

That Lord of the Rings card game I was talking about a while ago is also a Fantasy Flight LCG and they've also got a Cthulu one and a Game of Thrones one.

Anyway, Netrunner is cool because it's set in a cyberpunk future (think Deus Ex) where one person plays a hacker ("runner") and the other plays a big corporation. The hacker is trying to hack in, mess with the corporation and steal their secrets. The corporation is trying to prevent the hacker from doing that, leaving traps on their network to cause the "runner" brain damage or enough physical damage to kill them before they get all their secrets.

It's fun because each player's aims and goals are totally different from each other so it's really thematic. There's a lot of bluffing too as the corporation plays their traps and other stuff face down until the runner decides to approach it.

pic1379548.pngpic1312223.pngpic1312222.pngpic1311896.jpg

Where did you get Legendary from Hamster? I really want to try it, but I thought it wasn't getting a European release?

• 3 weeks later...

http://kotaku.com/5991483/youre-with-me-5-team-board-games-you-should-play

Ever play any of these Hammy? Me and some friends are looking for some games to play and these sound interesting

• I own Galaxy Trucker. It's pretty fun and frantic when building the ship. Worth owning.
  • I traded away Memoir '44 because I got Command and Colours: Napoleonics which is part of the designer's series but in a more interesting part of military history for me. I enjoyed Memoir '44 but love Napoleonics. It also has blocks instead of plastic figures which looks better as far as I'm concerned.
  • Never even heard of Ladies and Gentlemen actually. Sounds amusing enough though.
  • Rex is a remake of a game that was originally based on the Dune universe. The original was far better looking too and, as I hear, had theme and mechanisms that worked better together. Dune is pretty expensive though now as it's out of print and you'd need to hunt it down.
  • I played 1812: The Invasion of Canada twice at a convention last year. Now that's an amazing game. You don't HAVE to play five player at all (minimum of 2) but I played with five both times - once Americans and once the Canadians/British/Natives. Both ended in a draw and both were epic and exciting.

Ye my local game shop is putting on an event which I'll pop to. Anyone know what freebies are in the pack you get? I know there's some promo stuff for Gloom, but that's about it.

Ye my local game shop is putting on an event which I'll pop to. Anyone know what freebies are in the pack you get? I know there's some promo stuff for Gloom, but that's about it.

The one I'm going to is gonna be raffling off games they played on the show. Wouldn't mind getting my hand on Small World. Or any of the games, really.

Some guy I know online had a twitter conversation with Graham Linehan (Father Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd etc) who told him that he really wants to play Game of Thrones if there's anyone around Norwich who has it.

So there you go.

Actually going to a friends house to play that tomorrow! Can't wait, it's such a fun game.

Some guy I know online had a twitter conversation with Graham Linehan (Father Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd etc) who told him that he really wants to play Game of Thrones if there's anyone around Norwich who has it.

So there you go.

Actually going to a friends house to play that tomorrow! Can't wait, it's such a fun game.

I haven't played Game of Thrones for ages, our games tend to last about 5 hours and I spend most of it on the defensive. I suck at Game of Thrones!

I just got Pandemic yesterday, really excited to play that. Also recently picked up Smash Up which is really fun too.

So there you go.

I haven't played Game of Thrones for ages, our games tend to last about 5 hours and I spend most of it on the defensive. I suck at Game of Thrones!

I just got Pandemic yesterday, really excited to play that. Also recently picked up Smash Up which is really fun too.

I remember the one game I played I started in the south....using my awesome ships I snuck into the north and stole Winterfell.

In my second game I was the Greyjoys....using my ships I snuck into the north and stole Winterfell (from the same person both times).