GoGo Yubari

Guest mr. potato head

After watching last night's episode, I was thinking a lot about the fourth-last episode of Season 4 of The West Wing (the one where Zoey Bartlet gets kidnapped) because they were both major episodes near but not quite at the end of their seasons where big things happened. Didn't occur to me until just now that the West Wing ep probably popped into my head because it also involved Elisabeth Moss in a big way :shifty:

Holy fuck that was one of the best episodes. This season has just gone strength to strength and I was literally on the edge of my seat hoping they got the car deal, but could barely bring myself to celebrate after Don's exchange with Joan. Also, Jon Hamm was on fire tonight - some extraordinary acting. Incredible stuff.

What else is there to say when the episode is that good?

That last scene almost made me cry but as soon as I finished the ep, I went back and watched the final episode of season three when PPL gets sold and Lane fires the guys so they can start a new agency. I felt like the conversation Don and Peggy had in this episode was an extension of the one in her apartment in season three - this is what Don would have felt and what would have happened if Peggy hadn't gone with him then (although it's questionable she would have gotten as good an offer - I can't remember what offers she'd received back then.)

One thing I didn't like was the music when Peggy was getting in to the elevator. I thought it cheapened the whole thing.

What else is there to say when the episode is that good?

That last scene almost made me cry but as soon as I finished the ep, I went back and watched the final episode of season three when PPL gets sold and Lane fires the guys so they can start a new agency. I felt like the conversation Don and Peggy had in this episode was an extension of the one in her apartment in season three - this is what Don would have felt and what would have happened if Peggy hadn't gone with him then (although it's questionable she would have gotten as good an offer - I can't remember what offers she'd received back then.)

One thing I didn't like was the music when Peggy was getting in to the elevator. I thought it cheapened the whole thing.

I quite liked the music. It was to celebrate Peggy doing her thing, which was a big moment. Maybe not as emotionally charged as Joan's story but still important. And it juxtaposed the tragedy of Joan's position wonderfully.

I quite liked the music. It was to celebrate Peggy doing her thing, which was a big moment. Maybe not as emotionally charged as Joan's story but still important. And it juxtaposed the tragedy of Joan's position wonderfully.

Yeah, it definitely made it seem a little lighter than the bit with Joan and maybe that's what I didn't like about it. It was actually a really sad moment for me to see her leave the office and it was hard to see it relegated to a kind of humorous foil to Joan.

Just got season one on blu ray, I like The Walking Dead and think Breaking Bad might be the best series ever, so I have high hopes for Mad Men.

I've actually been surprised recently by how few people I've asked watch Mad Men. I've wanted to talk about this season, particularly, on a few occasions but those I've asked haven't seen it (or have watched season 1/2 and then stopped.) Breaking Bad is definitely the hot series just now, I think, but a few of my friends even watch things like Boardwalk Empire and Homeland but not Mad Men which I find surprising.

Yeah, it definitely made it seem a little lighter than the bit with Joan and maybe that's what I didn't like about it. It was actually a really sad moment for me to see her leave the office and it was hard to see it relegated to a kind of humorous foil to Joan.

They didn't want you to feel sad though. I think they were worried that's how people would react rather than celebrating Peggy's decisive action and new independence.

Guest mr. potato head

Don't normally post during commercial breaks, but the phrase "elegant exit" and some of the directing since that phrase was uttered has to be either leading to what certain Mad Men fans have been expecting all season or teasing said fans for expecting it, yes?

Fucking hell, didn't expect that on a Sunday afternoon. Thought Lane was going to find a way around it after the first failed attempt, but that was brutal - though the writing was on the wall with his development this season, he had been left a little by the way side. Was nice to see the return of Don's business hunger though, that was awesome.

This is my new laptop background. Mad Men better be back next year, I don't think I can take another extra half-year between seasons like they did this time around.
  • Like 1

Fucking hell, didn't expect that on a Sunday afternoon. Thought Lane was going to find a way around it after the first failed attempt, but that was brutal - though the writing was on the wall with his development this season, he had been left a little by the way side. Was nice to see the return of Don's business hunger though, that was awesome.

I was suspecting, and hoping, that the dark humour of Lane's failed Jaguar suicide attempt might prove to be what clears his mind and sees him start over. But then the writing and his concerns were too consistent for it to end any other way.

Last episode to catch up on tonight, then hopefully a short wait until the next season.

Guest mr. potato head

Good last episode, not up to the level of the last couple but then that would be awfully hard to pull off. Actually liked the payoff to the Pete story after it kind of meandered all season long. Nice to see that Peggy's not disappearing, Roger's back in his old ways and Betty's nowhere near my screen. Worried about Don though.