2012 NCAA College Football Thread

This is also a guy who denied, with a smirk the whole time, that he wasn't headed to Ohio State for a whole month after the news reported "yeah he's headed there, without a doubt".

He did it with a smirk, it was so fucking obvious. I can't wait for the violations that topple the Buckeyes come though, couldn't happen to a nicer program!

Holy shit, bitter much?

Was he supposed to come out with a month left of games and say "Yea, I'm taking the Ohio State job after Luke Fickell's done, the hell with the fact that Fickell kept the program afloat after the Tressel saga and deserves to finish the season with no distractions"

Meyer having problems at Florida is more of it being an SEC school than it being Meyer. What SEC school doesn't get in trouble? The fact is, they allow kids into their schools that every other conference wouldn't sniff due to grades/poor behavior. If you have to hate on Meyer for that, so be it, but he got out before those kids tarnished his legacy like so many other coaches have. It's why Saban will be leaving Bama within 2-3 years.

• Like 1

Yeah, probably the ones he kept out of prison.

Oh, he sounds the unethicalest.

From what i've read so far in that SN article, and what I already know of Percy Harvin, it is hard to tell whether or not it is sour grapes. As you said, when there's smoke there's fire, but without knowing what kind of player the source is it is hard to say whether or not he was losing opportunities because Meyer is bad, or because the player was slack - I am aware of Meyer's preferential treatment, but it was a club to which anyone who worked hard enough could gain entry.

Also from that article, this line is completely irresponsible:

Both coaches are rebuilding while dealing with significant baggage.

Only one is connected to both.

Meyer is as unconnected to what he walks into at Ohio State as the current coach was to what he walked into at Florida.

This article raises some interesting points, but I find it hard to accept as a whole. There's assertions made at the beginning that aren't substantiated. It basically says that the broken program at Florida is Meyer's fault, and then tells a lot of stories without linking them up with the main point. It states that Meyer left the program with a lot of player drug use problems, but that doesn't jive with the stance on drug use that I've previously read Meyer to have. It also doesn't state how that's Meyer's fault...only that it happened on his watch, allegedly. Also it states in one case that a player was arrested for Marijuana possession once on Meyer's watch, and twice on the new coach's. The sentence is structured in a way that implies that this is a player who's had consistent drug problems dating back to Meyer's time. It doesn't say when in Meyer's time this player had the drug problem. It could have been quite some time ago - Meyer gave him the "shape up or ship out" line and the player's gone back to old habits now that he's not looking anymore.

What i've read seems to be that the sun shines out of his ass from the "haves" and that he's a bad person (but good coach? unclear.) from the "have nots". I don't really think either can be believed on face value.

This is also a guy who denied, with a smirk the whole time, that he wasn't headed to Ohio State for a whole month after the news reported "yeah he's headed there, without a doubt".

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA....AHAHAHHAHAAHAHAAHAAHHAH

What a...what a FIEND! He denied that he was going to Ohio State after it was reported that he was going to Ohio State?! That swine! The lowest of the low.

Notwithstanding that it might not have been true when first reported - that anyone with two functioning brain cells and acces to his book could invent the rumour that Meyer might go to Ohio State.

(also: everything Mofoticon said)

• Like 1

Urban Meyer is the shadiest of people in his profession. He's that one guy that all the other sleazeballs in college football look at and say "well at least I'm not him".

... Mike Leach

You and I both know that Texas Tech doesn't really exist to anyone outside of what used to be the Big 12 :shifty:

• Like 1

Urban Meyer is the shadiest of people in his profession. He's that one guy that all the other sleazeballs in college football look at and say "well at least I'm not him".

Considering Nick Saban is 10 times worse than Meyer and Bama still wins National Titles without any scrutiny, I'll take it if it means the same for Ohio State.

Love the amount of people that immediately took to social media after the press conference to say that Jeff Long made the "moral decision", when Long more or less admitted during the press conference that what got Petrino fired was the lying, not the actual, y'know, affair. Remember: you can have all the affairs you want, just don't lie to your AD about them! :shifty:

Not sure what we'll do about the head coaching situation now. Probably go back to sucking no matter who we hire, sigh >_>

• Like 1

Yeah, probably the ones he kept out of prison.

Oh, he sounds the unethicalest.

From what i've read so far in that SN article, and what I already know of Percy Harvin, it is hard to tell whether or not it is sour grapes. As you said, when there's smoke there's fire, but without knowing what kind of player the source is it is hard to say whether or not he was losing opportunities because Meyer is bad, or because the player was slack - I am aware of Meyer's preferential treatment, but it was a club to which anyone who worked hard enough could gain entry.

Also from that article, this line is completely irresponsible:

Both coaches are rebuilding while dealing with significant baggage.

Only one is connected to both.

Meyer is as unconnected to what he walks into at Ohio State as the current coach was to what he walked into at Florida.

This article raises some interesting points, but I find it hard to accept as a whole. There's assertions made at the beginning that aren't substantiated. It basically says that the broken program at Florida is Meyer's fault, and then tells a lot of stories without linking them up with the main point. It states that Meyer left the program with a lot of player drug use problems, but that doesn't jive with the stance on drug use that I've previously read Meyer to have. It also doesn't state how that's Meyer's fault...only that it happened on his watch, allegedly. Also it states in one case that a player was arrested for Marijuana possession once on Meyer's watch, and twice on the new coach's. The sentence is structured in a way that implies that this is a player who's had consistent drug problems dating back to Meyer's time. It doesn't say when in Meyer's time this player had the drug problem. It could have been quite some time ago - Meyer gave him the "shape up or ship out" line and the player's gone back to old habits now that he's not looking anymore.

What i've read seems to be that the sun shines out of his ass from the "haves" and that he's a bad person (but good coach? unclear.) from the "have nots". I don't really think either can be believed on face value.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA....AHAHAHHAHAAHAHAAHAAHHAH

What a...what a FIEND! He denied that he was going to Ohio State after it was reported that he was going to Ohio State?! That swine! The lowest of the low.

Notwithstanding that it might not have been true when first reported - that anyone with two functioning brain cells and acces to his book could invent the rumour that Meyer might go to Ohio State.

(also: everything Mofoticon said)

His own network reported it. The people who gave him money to announce games. It would have been better for Fickell not to have the "will he or won't he" albatross hanging around and have just gotten confirmation and a gentlemanly response from Meyer. Instead he just let the whole saga drag out to pathetic proportions.

Saban is more the vein of no-fun Belichick coaches who just want wins and a paycheck. Meyer seems much more a cynic about his players and has no interest in helping them out. He struck gold with Tebow, but for every Tim there's a Chris Rainey, Solomon Patton, Gary Brown, Carlos Dunlap, Riley Cooper, Ronnie Wilson, Dustin Doe, Dwayne Grace, and of course Cam f'n Newton.

Nah, Kelly will stay for at least his contract. Notre Dame are still paying way too much to Chuckles. They don't want to pay two ex-head coaches for the next few years. I think Kelly has them on a good track, anyway. Probably another 8 or 9 wins this year, but next year could be deadly.

You're right about this hurting though. Lynch was a monster. And only a freshman. :(

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/60956/bye-bye-aq-status

I know all the attention in the football world is on the draft this week, but this is huge. No more Big Least teams getting in on technicality. It's big news for a team like Boise State who should get more of a BCS look, but didn't due to 8-5 team's like UConn getting in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/60956/bye-bye-aq-status

I know all the attention in the football world is on the draft this week, but this is huge. No more Big Least teams getting in on technicality. It's big news for a team like Boise State who should get more of a BCS look, but didn't due to 8-5 team's like UConn getting in.

Good news for TCU, who got out of that conference before they even played a game.

• 3 weeks later...