2012 NCAA College Football Thread

3. Bosie St*

There's two things the matter with this.

#1: What the fuck is a BOSIE State?

#2: THREE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!!?

#1 - good question, but whatever they are they'll be 3rd in the MWC this year.

#2 - yeah, this one took me a while to come too.

The Big East is even more retarded to figure out.

Yeah this will be an absolutely wild year in the MWC, and you're right this could have truly been a great conference.

Boise at 3 isn't a terrible pick, I really am on the Fresno bandwagon too. In NCAA 2012 they lost in the nat'l championship this year in one of my games. That's not a great barometer, but it should tell you how good they could be returning all those starters.

The Big East

Predicted order of finish:

1. South Florida*

2. Rutgers*

3. Louisville*

4. Cincy*

4. Pitt*

6. UConn^

7. Syracuse

8. Temple

*bowl eligible

^potentially bowl eligible

This will most likely be the most competitive conference in the nation this year. Legitimately, anyone from Pitt up can take the conference with the talent they have. It's that close. I'm going with South Florida because Skip Holtz has shown his ability to get guys to play above their heads. This year he shouldn't have too. He's got 15 starters back, a highly touted WR recruit in Chris Dunkley, and gets back from injury two highly touted guys from a year ago. They split the other contendors 2-2 home and away, and are arguably the team with the most talent depth at the most positions. That leaves me a toss up between Rutgers and Louisville next. Louisville has the raw talent, but Rutgers has the refined talent. Let me explain. Louisville and Rutgers both have 15 starters back like USF does. Rutgers' guys have been built into college players. They have highly touted recruits lining up on both sides of the ball up and down the position lists AND they've produced at this level (Khaseem Greene CO-BEDPOY, as well as 3 other All BE selections and a freshman all american). Louisville's starters ? 11 of the 15 will be sophs. Yeah. Sure, Teddy Bridgewater is the reigning FrAA QB but he's got two sophs and a red shirt fresh blocking for him. Again, raw talent but they need to play more. There's still plenty of room to grow and "young" mistakes to get out of their system. Also, the last game of the year sees Louisville going TO Rutgers. Cincy and Pitt is a toss up as well. Cincy has been on a roll lately (10+ wins 4 of last 5 years), but are going through one of those "transitions in talent" as of late. They've got plenty of raw talent like Louisville but have WR convert starting at QB this year and their starting RB is a true soph with 40 carries to his name. If the offense can come around quickly thier defense (7 returning starters) is solid enough to contend. Pitt has the opposite issue. Ray Graham is the best RB in the league and the Panthers return 8 other offensive starters. They only get 5 back on D though, one of which is a true soph. The biggest concern though, is that they are technically on their 6th HC in the span of 15 games ... yeah. The Panthers will be my Big East surprise team though as I feel they'll come together as a group rather than fall apart. They also get Cincy in week 2 and should have the edge in the inexperience being overcome department.

UConn won't surprise me if they reach a bowl. That Paul Pasqualoni guy can coach and he's getting help quickly in the form of WR transfer from Clemson Bryce McNeal. He's got a JC transfer coming at QB and another WR transfer from BC. Add that to 14 returning starters and he's quickly building the team he wants there. The schedule kicks them in the teeth though (at Louisville, Rutgers, USF, and the swing game with Syracuse). Syracuse is a team I want to think highly of. However, they lost the most depth out of anyone in the league (22 lettermen gone). They get 12 starters back but lose their only RB, top tackler, and 4 of the top 5 WRs from last year. They only get 3 BE home games this year too. Temple ? It's been a fun few years out of the BE for the Owls. Too bad they didn't make this move a year earlier. They had the talent to compete. Now though, they only have 8 starters back with only 3 being on offense. The top RB, QB, and top 3 WR are gone as well as the top 4 tacklers. There is literally no leadership on this team this year. They won't be the Temple of old (either good or bad) this year, but will probably need a year or two of restocking.

My Big East Select Team

QB - BJ Daniels (USF)

RB - Ray Graham (PITT) Savon Huggins (Rutgers)

WR - Devin Street (PITT) Alec Lemon (Syracuse)

K - Maikon Bonani (USF)

DL - Trevardo Williams (UConn) Aaron Donald (PITT)

LB - DeDe Lattimore (USF) Khaseem Greene (Rutgers)

CB - Logan Ryan (Rutgers) Hakeem Smith (Louisville)

P - Pat O'Donnell (Cincy)

Gah, my post addressing the MWC disappeared after you reiterated third for Boise. Quickly:

Boise at 3 isn't absurd in and of itself, SDState, Nevada and Air Force are always going to bring it.

But Fresno State isn't going to go from 4-9 out of the WAC to winning the MWC. I guess in a few months I may have to come back here and say "wow, what a difference a year makes" but as it stands right now I think that it's laughable.

Gah, my post addressing the MWC disappeared after you reiterated third for Boise. Quickly:

Boise at 3 isn't absurd in and of itself, SDState, Nevada and Air Force are always going to bring it.

But Fresno State isn't going to go from 4-9 out of the WAC to winning the MWC. I guess in a few months I may have to come back here and say "wow, what a difference a year makes" but as it stands right now I think that it's laughable.

Be prepared to backtrack. Derek Carr is going to be even better than his brother.

Fresno State was a weird story last year because of how evenly matched they were in a lot of their games except on the scoreboard. Definitely a better team than their record indicated, Derek Carr showed some serious flashes of brilliance last go round.

^ That. Perfectly exemplified by their game against Nebraska last year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Atlantic Coast Conference

Predicted order of finish:

Atlantic

1. FSU*

2. NC State*

2. Clemson*

4. BC^

5. Maryland

6. Wake Forest

Coastal

1. VT*

2. NC (not eligible for title game/bowl game)

3. Virginia*

3. GT*

5. Duke^

6. Miami

FSU over VT in the title game.

*Bowl eligible

^potentially bowl eligible

Yes, you read that stuff right. I have "darling" Clemson (and a team I love by the way) third in the division (Sammy Watkins being gone is that big of a deal), Miami in the cellar, Duke not in the cellar, and Virginia pushing the Coastal Division. Fun facts for the ACC: The conference has six QB's that have thrown for 3000yds taking the field this year. That's just stupid. Only two of them (NC/Clemson) also return a 1000yd rusher. Only one of them returns a WR with more than 900yds (Clemson). 9 of the 12 teams return over half of their offensive starters and 11 of 12 teams return over half of their defensive starters. Only 2 of the teams have to find a new kicker, but only 1 returning punter averaged over 40ydpp last year. This is going to be a crazy fun year in the ACC.

Ok, the Atlantic Division ... Yes, I'm an FSU homer. Yes, I've been on the "they're back" schtick for a couple of years. Finally, they've got everything to back up my homerism and their own expectations. Jimbo is magical year 3, 17 returning starters, what most publications are labeling the best D-Line in the country, depending on who you ask a top 5/10 unit at WR/DB/LB/Special Teams (even with the loss of Reid), and 68 returning letterman. This actually is the closest thing to "a Florida State team" since the early 2000s. The biggest thing is that the vast majority of these guys have been playing since they were freshman a couple of years ago. There is experience out the wazzu on this team. Next I've got a toss up between NC State and Clemson. The Wolfpack are officially my co-surprise team in the ACC along with their in state rivals North Carolina. NC St has what may be the deepest RB stable in the country. Remember Mustafa Greene ? Yeah he's back from injury and the freshman sensation from 2010 is only good enough to open the season 3rd on the depth chart. James Washington and Tony Creecy are that good. Mike Glennon is the best QB in the conference that isn't a dual threat guy. They also avoid VT and GT and get FSU at home where they always play them tough. Clemson was soaring high until Sammy Watkins got kicked off the team. DeAndre Hopkins is capable as a playmaker but he's not a game changer like Watkins. Andre Ellington is just bad ass plain and simple at RB though. They lose 3 guys on the OL though. By Oct 6th they'll have had 2 ACC road games already, and played GT. BC, Maryland, and WF will battle it out to see who else gets to a bowl out of the Coastal. I'll give the edge to BC on the strength of 17 returning starters and getting Maryland at home. Maryland will proably end up beating BC out though as Randy Edsall just has crappy luck last year. He has 15 returning starters with 9 being on D. He just doesn't have much on offense but he also managed to win at UConn like that. He's a better coach than most in the ACC but he's got a hill to climb. WF has made a good run out of it lately but they're falling back into the mix as the "power" schools are finding themselves again. They only have 11 starters back and lose the two best playmakers they had last year.

So the Coastal is going to VT by default. I actually think NC is the better team (and also my co-surprise team) but have them 2nd due to not being able to officially win anything. VT returns only 3 on offense but one of them is Logan Thomas at QB. The Hokies have 9 on defense returning though and that's where they butter their bread. I see the potential for 3 conference losses but the only team that could take advantage can't. NC will have a fantastic year. 13 starters back and new HC Larry Fedora will certainly find (at minimum) the success he had at SMiss. He's a fantastic recruiter as well. He inherits serious talent though and will only make them better. The best part ? They don't play FSU or Clemson and get GT/NCState/VT at home. I've got Virginia and GT in a dead heat but am looking for Mike London to to make some big strides in year 3 at the helm. He's got 12 starters back and returns his top performers on offense and defense. They should at least break even in conference as London's true coaching ability (building a whole team) starts to show. GT is a team I want to get behind but just can't. Paul Johnson is relying too heavily on his QB to run his throwback offense. In his first couple of years and even last year he had a dynamic WR to keep things scary. He's got jack poo now. They'll play tough but he also doesn't have that usually intimidating D this year. They also go on the road for VT/Clemson/NC. Yes, I'm picking DUKE to not finish in last in the division. David Cutcliffe is that good of a coach. He's got 17 starters back, the swing game with Miami is at home the last game of the season (and Miami is known to quit and pout if their season tanks), and they have a road game they can steal at WF. Miami on the other hand, gets just 10 guys back with only 4 being on offense. They also lost 1/3 of their lettermen from last year. There's just too much to replace and too many inexperienced players in key spots this year. All of the swing games are on the road (GT/Duke/BC/Virginia) which means they have NC/NCState/FSU/VT at home. This year could be really tough.

My ACC Select Team

QB - EJ Manual (FSU)

RB - Andre Ellington (Clemson) Perry Jones (Virginia)

WR - Conner Vernon (Duke) DeAndre Hopkins (Clemson)

K - Dustin Hopkins (FSU)

DL - Brandon Jenkins (FSU) Sylvester Williams (NC)

LB - Bruce Taylor (VT) Kevin Reddick (NC)

DB - Xavier Rhodes (FSU) David Amerson (NCState)

P - Dalton Botts (Miami)

Maryland's spot is deserved. I remember hearing people say that Friedgen basically had nothing coming into the program and that last year he won was sort of a fluke. It's safe to say the AD knew what he was doing, Edsall walked into a terrible situation and is still another year or two away from being able to start showing the impatient (and disgruntled) alumni and boosters that he was a good pick for HC.

Of course people think Maryland can compete on the national level year-in and year-out. Their loftiest heights will be the spot Virginia Tech currently occupies. They have the same recruiting territory, though Maryland can get more into PA which will mean a ton as all those guys who would have gone to Penn St won't be headed there. Right now Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Penn State were getting first dibs on the top players in the region. With the birth of Eastern Christian Academy out in Elkton (basically a college football program described as a high school), Edsall can establish a pipeline to a school attracting the best players from Maryland, Delaware, PA, New Jersey, and New York. Yes a lot of those players will go to top tier schools because they are that good, but the presence of the school opens up MD to having better chances at some of these guys. It's basically like Oak Hill Academy except in football.

But this year there is an outside shot the Terps sneak into a bowl. On the schedule there are 4 games I expect them to win, which leaves 2 upsets that they are more than capable of. Homecoming against NC State and at Virginia are games that could do that. I'm not looking forward to too much, more excited about Navy and (especially) Towson this year.

Now you and I are going to fight, HttK.

I don't enjoy being all first take on you here, but don't be so disrespectful to Georgia Tech! They're a receiver-making factory and they always run the ball fairly well (for my eyes, anyway)

I feel sorry for Texas A&M. Now their first game has been delayed until what would be their bye week, meaning they don't get one, so their first game of the season will now be against Florida. Double whammy. Welcome to the SEC, Aggies!

This Saturday, I will be rooting for Alabama for the first time in my life.

Hell will freeze over before I ever pull for the Crimson Turd. *

* Alabama-USC Trojans would = hell freezing over, by the way.

I feel sorry for Texas A&M. Now their first game has been delayed until what would be their bye week, meaning they don't get one, so their first game of the season will now be against Florida. Double whammy. Welcome to the SEC, Aggies!

It sucks because I have Friday off and we were going to BBQ for the game :angry:

Not too worried about UF this year honestly (that's coming in the SEC picks). It's @ Kyle Field and everyone will be beyond jacked for that game, UF doesn't have a QB, and still has some issues to figure out. They're still not Florida. I think people underestimate the mess that Muschamp took over down there.

I think the Bama-Michigan game is way overhyped. I mean the Secondary and OLB units are young and will probably look a bit funny with Robinson running around early on but after that I don't see much going on that isn't wearing a Crimson helmet.

My quick and easy predictions:

ACC: Florida State

Big 12 minus 2: Oklahoma

Big East: South Florida

Big Ten: Wisconsin

CUSA: Tulsa

MAC: Western Michigan

MWC: Fresno St.

Pac-12: USC

SEC: Georgia

Sun Belt: Arkansas State

WAC: LA Tech