General Web Series Thread (YouTubers, LPs, Vloggers Etc)

Hobo

I'll miss the Brad Jones/Phelous riff commentaries they were better than the specials.

Especially, the Suburban Knights one because they keep making jokes about Aussie Guy and The Distressed Watcher (The Amazing Atheist) playing the hooded characters.

Perhaps re-cutting the above video for YouTube has lost something in translation, thanks a lot bots what flag my stuff!

Dragonbored:

It was... Well, it was made by the Walkers and as a result it is very much their humor. It's a bit too long and a lot of the jokes were dumb like "OH HE USED A TOILET TO WASH THE GOOSE!" and "he says gay but means happy but that's not what it means anymore!". Over all it was about as subtle as a brick to the face but that's what they do.

The Cinema Snob's entry in 'The Uncanny Valley' is The Reviewers

And the TGWTG Fifth year ends with The Dark Side of the Internet which features someone who you may have seen in one of my videos before!

Generally, I don't mind the TGWTG specials, they're never amazingly brilliant and the Walker brother's writing is a little too zany cartoony/Family Guyish for my tastes, I though the idea of doing shorts written by different producers was a great way of actually showcasing the site's various contributors and it finally got Welshy and Mike J a chance to do something with the Anniversaries outside a cameo-montage.

I didn't care for Dragonbored, but I knew I wouldn't care for Dragonbored. It was probably one of the better made ones but it was not all that funny.

I didn't see Sci-Fi Guy's one yet, so I can't comment.

Brad Jones' entry was something I was looking forward to, and it was ok. I liked the notion of satirizing internet video makers and those who comment on them for a video. The Reviewers is going to be a series, and I won't imagine I'll watch it. I like the concept better than the execution but it was a quick enough 25 min sit through.

Internet Dating and Me had some of the best jokes, Film Brain was superb in it. The ending was a bit confusing because I wasn't sure if Film Brain had roofied himself or if Mike had roofied him and while those kind of jokes are par for the course with Mike J's stuff (he has an old running gag that his British Person character has an incestuous relationship with his sister, which doesn't really come up that much anymore). I still though it was funny and one of the strongest ones.

The Dark Side of the Internet was, I think a bit light on actually giving examples of anything it discussed. I would've liked a citation here and there and not just "this is a thing that happens but I will provide no examples". It was well made and I like that Jill Bearup and Shea Koshan, two non CA producers were in it (Shea is on Nerd Vice, she talks about independent comic books, her show is interesting and funny - she turned up in my Tom & Viv review too).

It was a good experiment. I think if they're going to carry on not doing the big get together films then this is a good way of doing anniversaries. Or if they're to do another film, not let Doug and Rob write it. :shifty:

Diamanda Hagan did an epilogue for the series. It's brilliant!

I've been on their site, they should be watching me!

EDIT: I should point out I was in a video, not just, y'know browsing TGWTG. :shifty:

I assume that's part of their Indigogo thingy? I didn't watch the video. I did see a TGWTG Secrets thingy that complained about how "internet vlogs are made in bedrooms" and therefore are really cheap so why should the Walkers be asking for money?!Probably because professional equipment to shoot things other than NC costs quite a bit of money, I'd wager.

I don't hold out much hope that the Walkers could produce anything I'd really want to watch. I watched all of 30 seconds of Demo Reel and a couple of Doug's NC Editiorals but his stuff has long fallen out of my regular rotation of internet videos. The same happened with AVGN (but then, he doesn't really do videos that often anymore?) and Spoony, also Linkara has too but I don't really know why, I still actually like Linkara. If it were Lindsay Ellis, Mike Jeavons, Brad Jones or Ed Glaser my interest might be peaked.

Phelous' 5th anniversary video has left me confused and sad, one because it actually was one of the best things he's done in a while but it seriously suggested that he might be giving up. Which I hope isn't the case. I quite like Phelous.

It amuses me how pretty much always the 'trending' videos on Blip are always TGWTG producers. It makes me wonder if anyone actually watches things that aren't internet review shows on blip.

This weeks NC has a scene with a somewhat disturbing amount of shots of Doug Walker's crotch.

I know you don't watch NC anymore, Hbob, but I thought I'd give you fair warning of what will no doubt be an avalanche of TGWTG Secrets submissions based on this.