The 2012 Summer Transfer Window thread

Lineker

I'll miss Tim Cahill but I'm glad he's left Everton. What is it with the teams I hate having so many players I can't help but like?

As a tribute to his phenomenal timing and positioning in the box, the "Tim Cahill" was our slang at uni for seeing the space at a busy bar and sliding in to get served straight away. For that he'll always have a special place in my heart.

I'm so stealing that. Actually did it on Friday when kickoff time for GB was getting worryingly close.

Spurs (last week): "We demand nothing less than £35m for Modric!" :angry:

Spurs (today): "But we would really prefer if the sale were done quickly, please." :unsure:

Tottenham pretty much have their own module in 'How Not To Conduct Transfers 101'. It's entitled "Destroying your own negotiating leverage and 99 other ways to look foolish in public". 'Arry provides commentary notes in the margins, of course.

Arsenal agree terms with Santi Cazorla, apparently €20m will be the fee.

I'd be pleased enough with that, though would also like to see us spend something similar on a proper holding midfielder. I would've said left-back too, but if they sign Cazorla then I guess that means Andre Santos is only being considered as a left-back alongside Gibbs.

And it possibly means Podolski is going to be considered more centrally in competition with Giroud than just as a winger. I guess that's the van Persie replacing done, in Arsenal's plan at least.

Reading the news story on the Guardian directed me to this. Who saw that going bad?

Malaga are such idiots, Carzola could easily become the next Xavi and they pissed him off by paying his wages inconsistently.

How do they expect to eventually top the league if they have such an unprofessional club model :/

So yeah, fantastic signing for Arsenal. I can't see how they could possibly get any lower than third this season.

Malaga are such idiots, Carzola could easily become the next Xavi and they pissed him off by paying his wages inconsistently.

How do they expect to eventually top the league if they have such an unprofessional club model :/

So yeah, fantastic signing for Arsenal. I can't see how they could possibly get any lower than third this season.

No, not easily, not become the next Xavi, no, no, no. Although his wiki page says he got 666 goals in 34 games last year, so what do I know. Still, he's 27, he's got pace and he's good on the ball, but you can't watch Xavi play a whole lot if you think Cazorla could "easily become" the next him. I'll just assume you have a giant hard-on for him since saying "I can't see how they could possibly get any lower than third this season." based on Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla is madness. They still only have the fifth best squad with Van Persie and these new signings, when they lose RVP they'll still be fifth .

That said, I expect a top four finish from Arsenal based on the fact they know what to do to get there, it's not as much a regular thing for Spurs/Newcastle.

No, not easily, not become the next Xavi, no, no, no. Although his wiki page says he got 666 goals in 34 games last year, so what do I know. Still, he's 27, he's got pace and he's good on the ball, but you can't watch Xavi play a whole lot if you think Cazorla could "easily become" the next him. I'll just assume you have a giant hard-on for him since saying "I can't see how they could possibly get any lower than third this season." based on Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla is madness. They still only have the fifth best squad with Van Persie and these new signings, when they lose RVP they'll still be fifth .

That said, I expect a top four finish from Arsenal based on the fact they know what to do to get there, it's not as much a regular thing for Spurs/Newcastle.

I still think they can get 4th, but more to do with their history of somehow scraping it or other teams blowing their chances.

Arsenal spending £30-£35m in a summer I think has left some people thinking Wenger has finally given it to everone and said "fine, here's your big names, have it your way", but everything's been typical Arsenal. A very small net spend by the time van Persie, Arshavin and Bendtner go, signings from Europe for around £10-£12m, the best player leaving, same as it ever was.

Aside from our habit of letting players fall into the last 24 months of their contract, I still like the way Arsenal are run and wouldn't choose to have it any other way. There's enough excitement in seeing how the new signings bed in, if Rosicky has a good year, how Wilshere returns, a full season with Arteta, seeing if Diaby is alive, to make me think it won't be any worse a season than the last few.

Reading target Geoffrey Kondogbia is joining Sevilla on a five-year deal.

Mattia Destro may complete his move to Roma soon, as it seems.

Atletico Mineiro's star Bernard has received interest from Internazionale. Easily their best player, and still 19.

Leeds completed the signings of Portsmouth's Luke Varney and Brann's Rodolph Austin.

And....Rubin Kazan are close to signing Demba Ba acording to a local sports radio. What a dumb move. I'd pick Galatasaray any day.