What was the first ever album and single you bought?

METALMAN

Bought with your own money, I mean. It doesn't count if you were given it!

I bought my first ever single when I was 8 years old in 1999! It was Blue by Eiffel 65! I loved it and I listened to it again and again. Until I got bored of it.

I bought quite a few singles in 1999. It was a good year! I bought Turn Around by Phats and Small! Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom and Ibiza by the Vengaboys! Later on, in 2000, I bought Will I Ever by Alice Deejay as well as both Kids and Rock DJ by Robbie Williams! I also bought Reach and Don't Stop Movin by S Club 7! I also bought Beautiful Day by U2, to my eternal shame. But I returned to form after I bought It Wasn't Me by Shaggy. I had quite a burgeoning collection.

The first ever album I bought was a compilation on casette. It was Massive Dance 98. I only bought it because I couldn't find the remix of Kung Fu Fighting on a single. The first proper album I ever bought was, quite bizarrely, Asleep In The Back by Elbow when I was ten in 2001. I don't know why. Maybe the name appealed to me. It was a real dirge, and I never made it through the full album. Still haven't.

Guest mr. potato head

I'm not sure my story is all that interesting here. I never bought singles until the advent of iTunes (and even then only the last few years). And the first album I bought was the Space Jam soundtrack, which is not a particularly awesome thing to admit even though it contained this masterpiece:

First album to have any sort of actual impact on me, on the other hand, was REM's Out of Time.

I don't get the 1975 singles quip. I'm younger than you and I bought singles all the time. They were brilliant. I could buy a couple of singles a week with my pocket money, or I could save up for weeks to buy an album where I barely knew any of the songs and had no idea if I'd like them

CD singles were great fun. I miss them a bit.

I didn't get the singles thing either. They were huge over here. Loads of kids would buy the singles because they were 1/3 the price of the album and would then be all 'the song is number 1 because I bought this'. In Australia people into pop music were much more likely to buy singles than albums, if they bought albums they would be compilations like Greatest Songs of Spring 1998 or whatever.

Album=Past Present and Future by Rob Zombie

Never even seen a single.

I only ever once bought a single, and that's 'cause it was like €0.50 so I bought it for my nan, as it was one of the guys who played in Bold & The Beautiful who was an actor/singer.

First album, was one of those compilation albums like Now, except in Holland the big one was/is TMF Hitzone.

I bought three albums at the exact same time, so I guess I'll have to list them. Slipknot self titled, Korn self titled, and Alice in Chains "Facelift".

The only single I have ever purchased was for "Duality" off of Slipknot's Volume 3 and that was only because it was released on vinyl and I thought that was cool.

Hey singles got big in the UK in the mid-90s because they were made really cheap in order to boost the singles charts which is why stories about Blur vs Oasis got so big. They made HUGE singles sales - hundreds of thousands of copies a week which for a country the size of the UK is really impressive.

Anyway I can't remember my first cassettes. I remember various NOW compilations, I remember my last cassette single was The Source ft. Candi Staton's "You've got the love" which I'm proud about getting.

Anyway my first CD single was...

Excellent.

My first three CD albums were:

1. "Jagged Little Pill" by Alanis Morissette

I really liked it at the time actually. Haven't listened to it for yeeeears of course.

2. "Alisha Rules The World" by Alisha's Attic

So it appears my first couple of CDs were a bit different to my last few cassettes from the period. Again it's not like I listen to this really at all but I think it's a good album for what it sets out to do. Appears it was produced by Dave Stewart which isn't a surprise.

3. "Third Eye Blind" by Third Eye Blind

Took ages for me to track this down after getting their Semi-Charmed Life single but eventually found it in Canterbury's Our Price after trying everywhere in my town and another couple of places. Great album and it's enjoyed a resurgence in my listening over the last year. I like some different songs to what I did then of course. I don't really care for Semi Charmed Life any more and really love God of Wine which I used to skip back then.