What was the first ever album and single you bought?

METALMAN

I've never bought a physical single, only had a couple given to me. I've got a few individual songs via free offers off music websites, the first of which I think was a Baker Street cover by the Foo Fighters.

First EP was Just A Song About Ping Pong by Operator Please.

First album was probably a compilation, Fast Forward Indie Trax Vol. 2. Was pretty good overall and had a couple of songs I really wanted. Then there was Stadium Arcadium by RHCP and Costello Music by The Fratellis, which is great too.

My wife has a pretty good collection of singles from what I can tell. I'll ask her about it someday.

Anyway, the first album I bought with my own money was Black Sabbath's "Paranoid". I was in the 4th grade, probably about 9 or 10 years old and got it used for eight dollars. I remember hearing Iron Man and wanting the album, so my mom took my to the record store after I saved up some cash. We found it used, and that was that. I still have that copy and I'm sure it works just fine.

Nirvana's Unplugged performance, maybe? Incesticide? I can't remember. Hell, it might have even been Nevermind, when I was like, 12, but it was definitely one of those three.

I think it was Nevermind, because my mom made a big stink about one of the songs being called "Territorial Pissings".

I can't remember what album was the first I bought with my own money, it was either Dimmu Borgir's "Spiritual Black Dimensions" or "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" or something like that. I also bought a Rammstein single once!

Can't remember my first album, but first single was this from Space. Not listened to it for years, still a fun little song I think.

That song's a stonewall classic and is the opening credit music to my wife's favourite film Shooting Fish.

Yes, and yes. I love Shooting Fish, my personal favourite soundtrack bit being the black and white flashback bit to their first skive with Bluetonic by the Bluetones in the background. At least I hope it was Bluetonic, not seen it in ages.

Anyway, first single was Pato Bantons 'Baby Come Back' on cassette, so I'm partly to blame for it going to number one. First album outside of a few Now compilations was a while after, and I think it was Version 2.0 by Garbage.

First record would have been Nirvana, Bleach.

Single may have been Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies for the Bond movie of the same name. I still maintain all James Bond movies have amazing singles attached to them <_<

My first album was either "Appetite For Destruction" by G&R, a Nirvana live album, or something by White Zombie. First single was Gangsta's Paradise on cassette.

Think it's a lot to do with AirPlay on major stations?

Anyway. Bought two singles, on cassette, at the same time. The first was 'Boom Boom Boom' by The Outhere Brothers. Best song. The other was 'Islands' by the Bee Gees. Worst song.

First album was All Killer, No Filler by Sum41, paid for with a twenty I found down the back of a bus seat :D

First record would have been Nirvana, Bleach.

Single may have been Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies for the Bond movie of the same name. I still maintain all James Bond movies have amazing singles attached to them <_<

I'd agree, but only if we pretend Die Another Day never happened.

Metallica's St.Anger was the first album i bought. I was either 12 or 13, it was 2003 anyway. Before that i don't think i had ever really had interest to music, saw the St.Anger music video on tv and immediate thought was i need to get more. Nine years and counting, it's been the best band for me ever since.

I don't recall buying many singles ever, i own Iron Maiden's Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg single from 2006, so i believe that's the first one and one of the very few i own.

I'll do ya four better:

1st album: Metallica's self-titled

2nd album: Soundgarden's "Screaming Life/Fopp" Dual EP

3rd album: Beck's "Odelay"

4th album: Alice In Chains' self-titled album

5th album: Local H's "Pack Up The Cats"

First single I ever procured outright was Soundgarden's "Sounds From The Superunknown", which for all intents and purposes is an EP, but it was the only way at the time in the States to get the songs "She Likes Surprises" and the acoustic version of "Like Suicide".

I've never bought a single. Not sure what the first album I bought would have been, not counting Christmas presents for the family. I've been downloading music since I was like 11, so yeah. Looking at my (limited) CD collection now, it was probably Elephant by The White Stripes, and I would've been about 13.

I don't get the 'America doesn't have singles' thing? How do the charts work if you didn't have singles?

We do have singles, perhaps we just don't buy them as often as you dudes overseas. My wife said she used to buy singles often because they'd have a bonus song that you wouldn't find on a full length album.